Let's discuss 11.0 Beta

• That's hysterical. We usually get statements like his from people who just joined. Fantastic. I'll change it to: Somebody tell the guy, sounding like a new user, to calm down. :P

Again, I'm perfectly calm. If indeed anybody needs to "calm down" I dare say it is you. Why are you so offended and triggered by my comment? Is there a certain degree of insecurity? Based on your criteria of the post counts, I can only surmise that you are a very insecure individual. I simply stated an opinion. Get over it and move on...

• Again, I'm perfectly calm. If indeed anybody needs to "calm down" I dare say it is you. Why are you so offended and triggered by my comment? Is there a certain degree of insecurity? Based on your criteria of the post counts, I can only surmise that you are a very insecure individual. I simply stated an opinion. Get over it and move on...

I try not to post too much on here because if you give an opinion that is not liked by a few selective people they put you down. Like your opinion or frustration doesn't count and instead of helping they attack you. Just a few bad apples that's all.

I'm probably going to get put down for this but honestly I don't give a crap.

If you are not going to help then maybe you shouldn't say anything at all and let the ones that help do their thing.

• For my part in this - I wasn’t trying to put anyone down. I asked a question while pointing out Terrapin’s presence since 2015.

Given his tenure here, his comment of “…nothing seems to make sense…” didn’t (and doesn’t) make sense to me.

So…..I said something.

• Again, I'm perfectly calm. If indeed anybody needs to "calm down" I dare say it is you. Why are you so offended and triggered by my comment? Is there a certain degree of insecurity? Based on your criteria of the post counts, I can only surmise that you are a very insecure individual. I simply stated an opinion. Get over it and move on...

Nothing to get over. I'm fine. I wasn't the one asking what they are doing. I didn't overreact and say I should dump the Kemper for real amps. You did, sweetie.

• I try not to post too much on here because if you give an opinion that is not liked by a few selective people they put you down. Like your opinion or frustration doesn't count and instead of helping they attack you. Just a few bad apples that's all.

I'm probably going to get put down for this but honestly I don't give a crap.

If you are not going to help then maybe you shouldn't say anything at all and let the ones that help do their thing.

This isn't my experience tbh, so its a shame you get that feeling. I have been on this forum for about 9 years now and hope im not one of the small group.

Negative reactions usually come in response to negative statements. I do post when I disagree and usually its all taken in the right spirit.

However, if you post, expect some debate or conversation. Make strong statements, expect a strong response. There was no help requested here, just a retorical question - what is the point of that if not looking for a response.

I think anyone who asks for help usually gets it in spades......

• "new guy" based on what? The amount of forum posts? I'm perfectly calm, thank you very much. Perhaps it's time for you to deal with real life rather than existing on forums?

I took the comment to be leaning into Kemper official forum inside humor, don't think too much of it. It's a joke. You complained, someone said calm down! when you were already calm. Giggle and move on! :D

• So "clean compensation" is the same thing as "clean sense" except that clean sense is a function of the input settings and clean compensation is per rig correct? I always thought it made no sense having it in the input section instead of per rig. I think this has been the most misunderstood parameter on the kemper.

• So "clean compensation" is the same thing as "clean sense" except that clean sense is a function of the input settings and clean compensation is per rig correct? I always thought it made no sense having it in the input section instead of per rig. I think this has been the most misunderstood parameter on the kemper.

No that's not how I understand it (but I could be wrong of course)

Clean Sense is a generic compensation between clean and dirty rigs. It can be rig specific (input unlocked) or global (input locked). It doesn't have any impact on adding gain during the signal chain. For example adding an OD in front of the amp doesn't really increase volume.

Clean Compensation is a rig specific amp parameter that reduces or removes the volume compensation which happens when amp gain is increased or gain is added with a drive/fuzz/boost etc. It removes the Kemper volume levelling feature and makes everything behave more like a traditional amp setup.

If you follow that concept to it's logical conclusion (again I may be totally wrong though) it suggests that Clean Compensation is dependent or at least semi dependent on Clean Sense being set appropriately in the first place.

I've just powered down my rig for the night so will need to wait until tomorrow now to test my theory though.

• No that's not how I understand it (but I could be wrong of course)

Clean Sense is a generic compensation between clean and dirty rigs.

Not between clean and dirty "rigs" but the way the one rig you are using volume reacts as you raise / lower the gain knob. Watch: "Tutorial: Input Section (english)" (00:54) The explanation there of clean sense is very good. It explains how it adjusts if the rig raises, looses or stays the same volume (or anything in between) when the gain is raised or lowered. I'm guessing that clean compensation is more of a leveling control not just tied directly to the gain knob and the output from that. I completely understand clean sense (and many do not because the manual doesn't really explain it well like the video does) IMO Clean sense only really matters in a performance if you are morphing gain in a single slot and you want it to change volume up, down or none while you do. Otherwise you would just change rigs to change gain. Is there a video on Clean compensation? I haven't looked.

• IMO Clean sense only really matters in a performance if you are morphing gain in a single slot and you want it to change volume up, down or none while you do. Otherwise you would just change rigs to change gain. Is there a video on Clean compensation? I haven't looked.

I would have to disagree on this one. The main advantage of clean sense (at least for me) is the ability to balance between clean and dirty rigs at a global level without the need to manually reduce the rig volume and resave every rig. I have always found that I need to run clean sense around -6db regardless of what guitar I play in order to stop the clean rigs totally overpowering the dirty ones. I ride the volume a lot on the crunch to dirty rigs and have never found a problem with the way it responds regardless of clean sense setting.

• Update on testing Clean Sense V Amp Block Clean Compensation.

Tested using Factory Content DR - Value Crunch #3 from TDill Liquid Profiles folder in RM. Amp Gain reduced to 0.4, Clean Boost loaded in stomp C with Max Boost (+5)

clean sense 0.0 and clean compensation , 10 boost bypassed = -20lufs

clean sense 0.0 clean compensation 10 boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost actually drops volume buy around 5db loudness)

clean sens 0.0 , clean compensation 0, boost bypassed = -27.5lufs

clean sense 0.0 clean compensation 0 boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost increases volume buy around 2.5db loudness)

With clean sense on -6.0 , clean compensation on 10 boost bypassed = -24lufs

clean sense -6.0 clean compensation 10 boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost actually drops volume buy around 1db loudness)

clean sens -6.0 , clean compensation 0, boost bypassed = -27.5lufs

clean sense -6.0 clean compensation 0, boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost increases volume buy around 2.5db loudness)

Summary

Reducing clean sense by 6db reduced the basic loudness level of the profile by 4db when clean compensation set to 10. However, engaging the boost produce -25db regardless of clean compensation (as expected as clean compensation only affects clean sounds and this rig is slightly distorted already)

Regardless of clean sense setting, reducing clean compensation to 0 created a 2.5lufs increase when boost was engaged.

With all the same tests but guitar volume turned down to around 3 all scenarios produced around -43db lufs with boost bypassed and around -28db lufs with boost engaged EXCEPT clean sense 0 and clean compensation 10. In this case the boost bypassed level was around 6db louder but the boost engaged was still -28db lufs.

I'm not really sure what that tells us but clean sense and clean compensation definitely interact with each other and I still need to run clean sense around -6db locked to stop clean rigs overpowering dirty rigs. Clean Compensation does improve the ability to ride the volume knob or add boost pedals though :thumbup:

• I would have to disagree on this one. The main advantage of clean sense (at least for me) is the ability to balance between clean and dirty rigs at a global level without the need to manually reduce the rig volume and resave every rig. I have always found that I need to run clean sense around -6db regardless of what guitar I play in order to stop the clean rigs totally overpowering the dirty ones. I ride the volume a lot on the crunch to dirty rigs and have never found a problem with the way it responds regardless of clean sense setting.

I understand and agree with your view. Why don't you just turn down the clean rigs then so they don't overpower? (say with amp volume) Then you wouldn't need to use clean sense. That's the way I think anyway. I understand that clean (and less compressed) sounds will easily and deceptively dominate distorted ones, and if you have played live venues long enough you know this is true. I understand what you are trying to achieve with it. Up till now, I have just been lowering clean sounds to suit in slots/presets just as I have for decades with amps. Just wondering, Did you ever watch the video? You'll see that clean sense just "regulates" the volume when the gain raises/lowers, so if you are not manipulating the gain control I don't see the point in using clean sense, just switch rigs? I know you know what you are doing because I've found your advice to be some of the most accurate on this forum. It's interesting to see how others approach the Kemper and I still might learn something:)

• My logic is simply that if every clean rig is much louder than all dirty rigs and there is a simple control to balance that globally (and locked) then it makes sense to use it once rather than manually adjust the volume of every rig and re save it.

I did watch the video a long time ago but from what I can gather from the manual and comments from Burkhard and ckemper the main reason Clean Sense exists is to balance the level between clean and dirty rigs. I believe it works on the input signal rather than as part of the profile itself. Clean sense only affects clean rigs. I am not sure how the KPA determines the crossover from clean to dirty. I think I heard that generic gain below 3 is treated as clean but I may be mistaken. Therefore, it would seem logical that the only point where Clean Sense would have any impact on regulating the gain control would be in the transition zone from clean to dirty. But if this happens at a predetermined point for all rigs (say generic gain 3) then it would have the same effect on all rigs so once again it makes sense to me to just set it once and forget it.

Oh, and just because I’ve got a big mouth doesn’t mean I know what I’m talking about 🤣

• I understand and agree with your view. Why don't you just turn down the clean rigs then so they don't overpower? (say with amp volume) Then you wouldn't need to use clean sense. That's the way I think anyway. I understand that clean (and less compressed) sounds will easily and deceptively dominate distorted ones, and if you have played live venues long enough you know this is true. I understand what you are trying to achieve with it. Up till now, I have just been lowering clean sounds to suit in slots/presets just as I have for decades with amps. Just wondering, Did you ever watch the video? You'll see that clean sense just "regulates" the volume when the gain raises/lowers, so if you are not manipulating the gain control I don't see the point in using clean sense, just switch rigs? I know you know what you are doing because I've found your advice to be some of the most accurate on this forum. It's interesting to see how others approach the Kemper and I still might learn something:)

I'd add to what Wheresthedug said. The ideal clean sens setting is pickup independent and should generally be the same regardless of rig or even the gain of the rig in question FOR THAT GUITAR. The goal is, as you raise and lower the amp's gain knob, the volume of the clean compared to dirty will stay consistent. But if you switch guitars (or it there is a BIG jump in output between pickups in the same guitar) you may need to adjust clean sens for that. (It's kind of like the same issue you'd have running a real distortion pedal into a real clean amp. Finding the right volume for the distortion pedal so the bypassed volume matched is pickup output dependent, and you will need to set its volume different for different output pickups.)

That's why for those who make a lot of rigs to only use with specific guitars, it may make sense to not lock the clean sens. For those that may use any of their rigs with their guitar of choice that day, locking the clean sens makes more sense. Then if you switch guitars you make one minor 5-second tweak to the clean sens globally and you're off and running. That said if all your regularly-used guitars have pickup outputs in a reasonably close range, you probably can just leave the clean sens the same for all.

When it comes to balancing the overall volume of Rigs, you want to do that AFTER you've identified the ideal clean sens setting. My advice there is (in performance mode) to balance your Rig volumes to the default "Crunch" Rig, since that Rig is always conveniently hanging out in any slots you haven't replaced. That way, as you create new performances full of new rigs over time, your volume across all your rigs will be fairly consistent, since you adjusted them all directly to the same default Rig, whose volume is always the same.

Another helpful trick is (again AFTER you've identified the clean sens setting for your guitar) is to turn up the compression setting in the amp section a bit. Try around 2.5-3.0, most profiles have this at zero by default. If you like to lower your guitar's volume knob to clean up some, the amp won't distort as much as you expected, but you won't lose as much clean volume as you would were the amp compression setting at zero. This lets you be a little more aggressive with how far you can lower your guitar's volume put to clean up further, while still retaining a consistent volume.

• what I can gather from the manual and comments from Burkhard and ckemper the main reason Clean Sense exists is to balance the level between clean and dirty rigs.

In a way, yes but IMO that statement is a bit misrepresented. It balances the volume difference between the ONE rig you are using when you adjust the gain (or all if locked). That's why I was saying so many people don't understand what it does. I urge you to watch the video I mentioned, it will all be clear then. Again, It simply lets you adjust if the volume raises or lowers or stays the same when you raise/lower the gain knob. Please watch the video and get back with me.

• Oh, and just because I’ve got a big mouth doesn’t mean I know what I’m talking about 🤣

I completely disagree, I recall you telling me long ago how you used just three rigs and had a ton of compliments, and I thought "Why the heck would you do that when you had all this ability?" Now coming full circle I use my Kemper live much like I did my 3-4 channel amps. I could easily get by with 4 rigs (with morphing) and play everything from Beach boys to Country to indie to Classic rock to Metal. Many pros do the same that I have spoken to-they don't use 10 rigs.