Posts by Dynochrome

It's almost like I wrote this. Isn't it interesting how there are many types of Kemper users, some that want to hook it up to all kinds of weird software and different devices with a wireless remote and some that just use it for a pedal platform like a single channel amp. My point is there are a few people on this forum that see things almost exactly as I do, (mostly road dogs/ people that play out a lot). Some may argue and disagree but there are a few of us on here that I see fairly consistently agree with why they love their Kemper and why it's preferred over our Tube amps.

Oh, and just because I’ve got a big mouth doesn’t mean I know what I’m talking about 🤣

I completely disagree, I recall you telling me long ago how you used just three rigs and had a ton of compliments, and I thought "Why the heck would you do that when you had all this ability?" Now coming full circle I use my Kemper live much like I did my 3-4 channel amps. I could easily get by with 4 rigs (with morphing) and play everything from Beach boys to Country to indie to Classic rock to Metal. Many pros do the same that I have spoken to-they don't use 10 rigs.

what I can gather from the manual and comments from Burkhard and ckemper the main reason Clean Sense exists is to balance the level between clean and dirty rigs.

In a way, yes but IMO that statement is a bit misrepresented. It balances the volume difference between the ONE rig you are using when you adjust the gain (or all if locked). That's why I was saying so many people don't understand what it does. I urge you to watch the video I mentioned, it will all be clear then. Again, It simply lets you adjust if the volume raises or lowers or stays the same when you raise/lower the gain knob. Please watch the video and get back with me.

I would have to disagree on this one. The main advantage of clean sense (at least for me) is the ability to balance between clean and dirty rigs at a global level without the need to manually reduce the rig volume and resave every rig. I have always found that I need to run clean sense around -6db regardless of what guitar I play in order to stop the clean rigs totally overpowering the dirty ones. I ride the volume a lot on the crunch to dirty rigs and have never found a problem with the way it responds regardless of clean sense setting.

I understand and agree with your view. Why don't you just turn down the clean rigs then so they don't overpower? (say with amp volume) Then you wouldn't need to use clean sense. That's the way I think anyway. I understand that clean (and less compressed) sounds will easily and deceptively dominate distorted ones, and if you have played live venues long enough you know this is true. I understand what you are trying to achieve with it. Up till now, I have just been lowering clean sounds to suit in slots/presets just as I have for decades with amps. Just wondering, Did you ever watch the video? You'll see that clean sense just "regulates" the volume when the gain raises/lowers, so if you are not manipulating the gain control I don't see the point in using clean sense, just switch rigs? I know you know what you are doing because I've found your advice to be some of the most accurate on this forum. It's interesting to see how others approach the Kemper and I still might learn something:)

No that's not how I understand it (but I could be wrong of course)

Clean Sense is a generic compensation between clean and dirty rigs.

Not between clean and dirty "rigs" but the way the one rig you are using volume reacts as you raise / lower the gain knob. Watch: "Tutorial: Input Section (english)" (00:54) The explanation there of clean sense is very good. It explains how it adjusts if the rig raises, looses or stays the same volume (or anything in between) when the gain is raised or lowered. I'm guessing that clean compensation is more of a leveling control not just tied directly to the gain knob and the output from that. I completely understand clean sense (and many do not because the manual doesn't really explain it well like the video does) IMO Clean sense only really matters in a performance if you are morphing gain in a single slot and you want it to change volume up, down or none while you do. Otherwise you would just change rigs to change gain. Is there a video on Clean compensation? I haven't looked.

So "clean compensation" is the same thing as "clean sense" except that clean sense is a function of the input settings and clean compensation is per rig correct? I always thought it made no sense having it in the input section instead of per rig. I think this has been the most misunderstood parameter on the kemper.

I've always wanted this too. I would think it could be done in the software? I would cut what goes out front differently that what goes through my monitor. I know there is an EQ (that I never use) I don't ever want to change the tone, just fix some top or bottom.

I try to only make feature requests that I think could be done without hardware changes, so not sure if this is possible with software change but here goes: I noticed many people forgo the noisegate knob and have to instead take up a slot because the "noisegate" works as more of a "sound conditioner" instead of a "classic downward expander" (What a typical noise gate is). Maybe have 3 settings for the knob and let us free up the first slot since the noisegate is so often implemented. One, being like it is, the "sound conditioner", a 2:1, and a 4:1 (or whatever the two choices are for the noise gate stomp). I think a noisegate gets used so much it would be better having it's own place rather than having to use a slot to get a gate that works like a gate..

the STOMP noise gates are classic downward expanders and work great on high gain tones where an aggressive gate is often part of the sound.

the front NOISE GATE is more of a 'sound conditioner' that can remove unwanted noise, like single coil artifacts, from your tone, but it won't work quite as well as a STOMP noise gate for high gain applications, since if turned up too high, it can begin to influence the sound beyond removing excess noise.

I'll do a feature request and ask to make the front noise gate a classic downward expander (Noise gate) instead of a "sound conditioner". If it doesn't work that well as a noise gate, maybe it should / could?

Btw, it's a pity that Michael Britt only uses this 3rd Power Switchback cabinet in most of his profiles... This makes all these profiles sound similar to each other...

I actually like that he does that. Speakers and cabs have a huge impact on sound , I want to eliminate that from the equation. It makes all the profiles sound similar because many amps do as well. There are only so many types of distortion you can have that sound good to people.

Many profilers will put a noise gate in the first slot (Where I usually place a wah) My question is why don't they just use the supplied noise gate that is right there alone on a knob and rig variable that doesn't take up a slot? Do people feel that is inferior to the one that goes in a slot? They must, and I would like to know why that is. I would think the dedicated noise gate would be equal at least.

I recently saw a kid go into GC and want to buy a treble booster. Nothing else would do, he wanted that. Likely heard somebody like Page or May talk about using one. I thought: I wonder if he knows that treble boosters were predecessors to overdrives with overdrives being a superior upgrade that put treble boosters to the wayside like CDs did Vinyl.. (hence why there are gillions of overdrives but few people selling "treble boosters". You can set a lot of overdrives to be treble boosters but not vice versa. IMO there's nothing magic about a treble booster you can't do with an overdrive with an EQ. It's just boosting the signal. Treble boosters just boost the upper range more. You can set an overdrive to do that too. I'd bet Brian may would sound just as good with an SD-1,Timmy or something.