Posts by Wheresthedug

There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to make the amp and cab you want into presets and simply drag n drop the presets. However, the way I would do it is Lock All but Amp then manually unlock the Cabinet. Now just load the the new rig you want to use. Only the Amp and Cab will actually load as all the effects in the original rig have been locked. Once finished just unlock all and you’re back to normal operation.

In essance I am saying plug a DI between amp and speaker and take an XLR from there. However, you need to check whether the Radial JDI can handle speaker level signals before doing that. I have a few cheap ART DI boxes that work well with my Dual Rectifier etc. there is a thread on the forum somewhere with a list of some DI boxes that are known to work.

The slave output should also work and is definitely worth a try. You don’t need a DI box in this scenario as the slave is already a lone level signal. The volume level on the slave is just to let you match the signal level to the receiving device. Set it low and increase until you have a healthy level without clipping.

Short answer - yes ot will work. And won’t harm anything in the scenario you described where a speaker is connected to the amp as a load.

Longer answer

You never use a mic for Direct Amp Profiles with no speaker. The recommendation is to use a DI box between the amp and speaker to capture to full response of the amp. Some people use a Loadbox to do the same thing but this will change the sound of the amp to some extent. In reality the change may be very subtle and possibly even unnoticeable but it will definitely have some impact due to the impedance curve interacting with the power amp. A cheap DI box costs very little and is worth owning anyway.

The slave output on Mesas is tapped from the 4ohm speaker output and reduced to line level with resistors so should behave very similarly to a loadbox.

I came up with a workaround for two delays which you might find useful in some situations.

I have delay 1 set up as a quarter note solo delay and delay two set up with the Andy Timmons Halo style dotted 1/8 and quarte in series.

Switch IIII is set up to toggle between which delay is active.

Morph pedal is set up to control Mix of the second delay.

With delay 1 active you get a full on solo delay all the time but then you switch to delay 2 you get the Halo,effect with no mix (or some other low setting of your choice). You can then control the Halo mix with the expression pedal on real time as required. Obviously doesn’t work if you already need morph for something else in the rig but it might be useful depending on your setup.

Also locking the input locks the noise gate which I want to be variable.

That’s a fair point.

It doesn’t bother me personally as I set it as low as I can get away with and leave it there. I don’t mind a tiny bit of noise if I switchto an occasional super high gain sound but need it to not interfere with clean sounds regardless. I can understand how others may use a wider range of gains though. Modern metal players seem to use mega gain on the dirty sounds and ultra clean compressed (almost DI) sounds for clean stuff. That would probably need individual noise gate settings but I rarely use totally clean or gain on 11. I live in the middle ground and can get away with locking the noise gate.

My logic is simply that if every clean rig is much louder than all dirty rigs and there is a simple control to balance that globally (and locked) then it makes sense to use it once rather than manually adjust the volume of every rig and re save it.

I did watch the video a long time ago but from what I can gather from the manual and comments from Burkhard and ckemper the main reason Clean Sense exists is to balance the level between clean and dirty rigs. I believe it works on the input signal rather than as part of the profile itself. Clean sense only affects clean rigs. I am not sure how the KPA determines the crossover from clean to dirty. I think I heard that generic gain below 3 is treated as clean but I may be mistaken. Therefore, it would seem logical that the only point where Clean Sense would have any impact on regulating the gain control would be in the transition zone from clean to dirty. But if this happens at a predetermined point for all rigs (say generic gain 3) then it would have the same effect on all rigs so once again it makes sense to me to just set it once and forget it.

Oh, and just because I’ve got a big mouth doesn’t mean I know what I’m talking about 🤣

Update on testing Clean Sense V Amp Block Clean Compensation.

Tested using Factory Content DR - Value Crunch #3 from TDill Liquid Profiles folder in RM. Amp Gain reduced to 0.4, Clean Boost loaded in stomp C with Max Boost (+5)

clean sense 0.0 and clean compensation , 10 boost bypassed = -20lufs

clean sense 0.0 clean compensation 10 boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost actually drops volume buy around 5db loudness)

clean sens 0.0 , clean compensation 0, boost bypassed = -27.5lufs

clean sense 0.0 clean compensation 0 boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost increases volume buy around 2.5db loudness)

With clean sense on -6.0 , clean compensation on 10 boost bypassed = -24lufs

clean sense -6.0 clean compensation 10 boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost actually drops volume buy around 1db loudness)

clean sens -6.0 , clean compensation 0, boost bypassed = -27.5lufs

clean sense -6.0 clean compensation 0, boost engaged = -25lufs (engaging full boost increases volume buy around 2.5db loudness)

Summary

Reducing clean sense by 6db reduced the basic loudness level of the profile by 4db when clean compensation set to 10. However, engaging the boost produce -25db regardless of clean compensation (as expected as clean compensation only affects clean sounds and this rig is slightly distorted already)

Regardless of clean sense setting, reducing clean compensation to 0 created a 2.5lufs increase when boost was engaged.

With all the same tests but guitar volume turned down to around 3 all scenarios produced around -43db lufs with boost bypassed and around -28db lufs with boost engaged EXCEPT clean sense 0 and clean compensation 10. In this case the boost bypassed level was around 6db louder but the boost engaged was still -28db lufs.

I'm not really sure what that tells us but clean sense and clean compensation definitely interact with each other and I still need to run clean sense around -6db locked to stop clean rigs overpowering dirty rigs. Clean Compensation does improve the ability to ride the volume knob or add boost pedals though :thumbup:

Most of my playing time is on an unplugged electric. I don't need to plug it in except for a gig and some performance setups at home. I've played long enought that I know what will happen when I do plug in. I don't need any more experience on the amp/effects side. I focus on simply playing the instrument.

This 👍

IMO Clean sense only really matters in a performance if you are morphing gain in a single slot and you want it to change volume up, down or none while you do. Otherwise you would just change rigs to change gain. Is there a video on Clean compensation? I haven't looked.

I would have to disagree on this one. The main advantage of clean sense (at least for me) is the ability to balance between clean and dirty rigs at a global level without the need to manually reduce the rig volume and resave every rig. I have always found that I need to run clean sense around -6db regardless of what guitar I play in order to stop the clean rigs totally overpowering the dirty ones. I ride the volume a lot on the crunch to dirty rigs and have never found a problem with the way it responds regardless of clean sense setting.

So "clean compensation" is the same thing as "clean sense" except that clean sense is a function of the input settings and clean compensation is per rig correct? I always thought it made no sense having it in the input section instead of per rig. I think this has been the most misunderstood parameter on the kemper.

No that's not how I understand it (but I could be wrong of course)

Clean Sense is a generic compensation between clean and dirty rigs. It can be rig specific (input unlocked) or global (input locked). It doesn't have any impact on adding gain during the signal chain. For example adding an OD in front of the amp doesn't really increase volume.

Clean Compensation is a rig specific amp parameter that reduces or removes the volume compensation which happens when amp gain is increased or gain is added with a drive/fuzz/boost etc. It removes the Kemper volume levelling feature and makes everything behave more like a traditional amp setup.

If you follow that concept to it's logical conclusion (again I may be totally wrong though) it suggests that Clean Compensation is dependent or at least semi dependent on Clean Sense being set appropriately in the first place.

I've just powered down my rig for the night so will need to wait until tomorrow now to test my theory though.

The first thing to do is remove any Fx from the loop and just connect the send and return with a cable you know to be working. This will completely rule out anything external as being the cause. If nothing works in this scenario then you need to start troubleshooting the Kemper.