What would I lose if I go from the original Kemper Head to the Profiler Player?

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

I tend to prefer simple rigs and am currently waiting for a powered Kabinet that I recently ordered. I was thinking about simplifying my rig and just use the Player with the powered Kabinet. I do not mind losing the ability to profile amplifiers myself, as it is something I’ve never done.

Besides this, which important features would I be giving up if I made the switch?

Edited once, last by imc2111 (September 10, 2024 at 3:01 AM).

• I believe there are only 2 effects slots before and two after the amp.

Some effects are not available yet as well.

Fewer banks?

So the limitations would be mainly 4 effects only and fewer banks to store profiles? Are there any other features I might be missing, because if so, that doesn’t sound too bad.

• The word crippled is wholly and completely unfair. Compromise - yes. Crippled? Hardly.

It costs less than *half* of any other unit. It had *better* sport fewer bells and whistles than the larger units.

You’d have no trouble playing a full gig with one. But if you want to bring your existing rigs over wholesale, you’ll have to make compromises.

What’s there is highly capable, and it runs the same Profiles and Cabs as the lager units. The list of what’s available around that is shorter, though.

• So the limitations would be mainly 4 effects only and fewer banks to store profiles? Are there any other features I might be missing, because if so, that doesn’t sound too bad.

There are many other limitations. Some examples: no morphing, far fewer effects in all categories, stripped-down amp controls and other controls, etc....

Is it gig-worthy? Sure!

Is it very stripped down compared to the others? Absolutely!

Do your homework, that's all I have to say.

• So the limitations would be mainly 4 effects only and fewer banks to store profiles? Are there any other features I might be missing, because if so, that doesn’t sound too bad.

For me the biggest missing features would be

- Morphing

- Kemper Drive

- Several Reverbs and Delays

- Monitor out EQ

- Amp and Cab parameters

I would end up adding pedals to compensate.

I prefer my Stage, it's just perfect for me

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I also mainly use simple rigs in mono so the Player meets most of my rigs. For rehearsals and some gigs whete I don’t need my un powered Kabinet I often leave my power head at home now.

However, as others have said, there is a lot of functionality from the bigger units that is not currently available on the player. Some of this might be added in future but in truth no one really knows so I would strongly recommend making any decisions based on he current functionality rather than expected future updates.

The best way to find out if the player would work for you is to download the manual from the Kemper Downloads section of the website. The manual will let you see everything that is or isn’t available.

• Burkhard August 30, 2024 at 12:25 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “What would I lose if I go from the original Kemper hed to the Profiler Player?” to “What would I lose if I go from the original Kemper Head to the Profiler Player?”.
  • I own the Kemper Stage.

If the player was out when I bought the stage I would have chosen the player.

Now that I have the stage it doesn't make sense to sell it because I would just get enough to buy the player and would loose all the extras the stage offers compared to the player. So I'll stick with what I have but I almost bought the player but decided another guitar was more fun so I bought a Australian Cole Clark solid body hss strat I believe its called the guardian. Best strat I ever owned so far.

• I came the other way around.

I got the Player first and then got the head and floor board.

My reason was that while initially I didn't think I'd use any of the fx in it I ended up being pleasently surprised.

But the big reason was the extra amp parameters.

What I much prefer the ayer for is 4/4 Io for USB re-amping over the 2/2 Io of the head .

I'm currently on vacation and had to record stuff and since that's literally just stack with no post fx I print unless I need an eq.

It works great for me.

If I didn't have the head nit having access to the extra amp parameters that iirc are stored even when moving it to the player...best of both worlds

• Lots of people seems to be building pedalboards around the Player and the rig often end up being bulkier, less capable and more expensive than a Stage so unless you plan on carrying the Player as a standalone (therefore having very simple requirement in flexibility), I personally don't see the point. I'm sure many of us have thought of using the Player and adding some dedicated external effects but the truth is that at the end of the day, the Kemper effects are good enough to get the job done and then some (and getting better) so the all-inclusive option (stage/head) simplifies everything.

• Lots of people seems to be building pedalboards around the Player and the rig often end up being bulkier, less capable and more expensive than a Stage so unless you plan on carrying the Player as a standalone (therefore having very simple requirement in flexibility), I personally don't see the point. I'm sure many of us have thought of using the Player and adding some dedicated external effects but the truth is that at the end of the day, the Kemper effects are good enough to get the job done and then some (and getting better) so the all-inclusive option (stage/head) simplifies everything.

That's exactly how I see it. I just don't understand the hassle and inconvenience of building a pedal board (I can still remember the pain and cost of building one before the Kemper =O) when a fully integrated solution is available for less money. Not only would a Stage be smaller and more powerful but it also has less points of failure than a board with patch cables and power supply issues etc.

However, I do really like the Player as a simple replacement for a simple single amp rig. I just stick the Player in the pocket of my Gig Bag and take a Marshall JMP or a Deluxe reverb with a boost, delay and reverb and I can cover >90% of the gig/rehearsal situations I need.

• That's exactly how I see it. I just don't understand the hassle and inconvenience of building a pedal board (I can still remember the pain and cost of building one before the Kemper =O) when a fully integrated solution is available for less money. Not only would a Stage be smaller and more powerful but it also has less points of failure than a board with patch cables and power supply issues etc.

However, I do really like the Player as a simple replacement for a simple single amp rig. I just stick the Player in the pocket of my Gig Bag and take a Marshall JMP or a Deluxe reverb with a boost, delay and reverb and I can cover >90% of the gig/rehearsal situations I need.

Player gets me KIND-OF there for any gig, too, It's so close, they just need to add more foot switch options. Press and cold, combo, etc...