Saying goodbye to a friend, MuddySludge

• I've been able to speak with Muddy again! He is hanging on but at the same time saying he is ready to go. We were both trying not to be morbid in conversation and talked about music as he gave me more tips on playing the bass. So, we talked like any other day. He asked that I post these two songs which are self explanatory.

He truly appreciates all of you!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I guess I've gone from shock/disbelief, to anger/disappointment, to acceptance, and now to the celebration of a great member of musical society, knowledge and talent.

You are loved here, and in many other places. Know this... :)

• Dear Muddy,

You are a an inspiration to us all as a musician and as a human being. You seemingly put everything aside to promote our common development as musicians and the support you gave on so many levels were appreciated and will be remembered.

May you travel with good winds!

Mats N

• I've been able to speak with Muddy again! He is hanging on but at the same time saying he is ready to go. We were both trying not to be morbid in conversation and talked about music as he gave me more tips on playing the bass. So, we talked like any other day. He asked that I post these two songs which are self explanatory.

He truly appreciates all of you!

Wonderful couple of tracks from our beloved MuddySludge ! What a treat for us all, kind and giving to the last.

• Totally shocked and upset!

I didn't know him personally but I've been on this forum for just under 10 years now and you come to know the people from their posts.

He has always come across as genuine, helpful and caring and loving music. Just a top dude

Peace brother and thanks BayouTexan for sharing what must have been extremely tough.

• Hi all. this truly is sad news. Buddy is indeed moving on. we talk every couple of days and it's been hard, slowly saying goodbye to an old, dear friend. We have been doing a lot of reminiscing, lots and lots of laughing, and sobering reflections on life, and loss, and all the crazy things that make us human. Through it all he remains the same guy that has drawn all of you to leave such touching remarks here.

We did a lot of playing together in the late 80's before I left Texas to move out to Philadelphia, PA. Every gig with Buddy was an adventure. One in particular was a gig I have attached a link to below, some video footage Buddy sent me. The cast of characters was Buddy Sledge - Bass, Bruce Richardson - Keys, Fluglehorn, Me Scot Schwestka - Guitar, John Bush - Percussion, Matt Chamberlain - Drums @ the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, Dallas, TX. Fall 1989

I had just moved to Philly to start my tenure at Ibanez guitars, Matt had just moved to NY and was playing with on SNL, Brad and John were ascending on the Edie Brickell/New Bohemians wave, Bruce was an active member of the Dallas jazz and theater, and education community. Buddy, Bruce and I had an ensemble we had been playing in Dallas, and Matt, Brad, Bruce, John and I had been playing together in a project Matt put together called "The Dudes" We all came back to Dallas to play together for the last time at the Meyerson. Buddy played Bass, Brad left the Bass role to Buddy for the day and played his sax!

That was a great time. We have all been blessed with active careers in the arts. But life happens. Brad passed away a little over a year ago very unexpectedly. Life has a way of kicking you in the teeth. I'm grateful for every moment I spent with these guys. They were great friends - great teachers.

When my time comes - I hope I engage it with the grace and wisdom our friend Buddy has shown me through this whole process. <3<3

the Dudes
    Buddy Sledge - BassBruce Richardson - Keys, FluglehornScot Schwestka - GuitarJohn Bush - PercussionMatt Chamberlain - DrumsMorton H. Meyerson Symphony Center...
    youtu.be
  • Thank you so much for sharing Scot. Just listening now... :)

• The Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas is one of the world's best symphony halls. I need to make a visit there. It's a very special place and I know Muddy was stoked to play there. Here is a link to more info if anyone wants to do a light read.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan (September 19, 2024 at 6:41 PM).

• Oh thank you for sharing this, that’s a great performance too killer licks from everyone, Buddy is on fire! I love hearing the back-story, it’s so rare and valuable on forums to get a full picture of someone, all the awesome things they’ve done and their impact on others. This is awesome.