What if my 2nd guitar has a higher output level?

• I have a set of presets and performances configured that sound great and I all use with a certain guitar. Now I want to try a change to another guitar, but this guitar has a higher output (not active). As a result some of my clean sounds start sounding a little distorted.
    Is there a way to cut down the higher input signal of my 2nd guitar without changing all setups / performances? I also do not want to put down the volume knob of my guitar, as I am afraid it will influence tone.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Do you have Distortion set to Global, or Per Rig?

Changing the Global Distortion Sense is likely too slow if you are changing guitars live, unless you copy the Performances, and adjust the copies for the higher output guitar, and use them when you are using that guitar.

Or, there is the old school approach. You can try lowering the pickups on the louder guitar, to make output a similar volume to the other guitar. If you count the number of screw turns, you can return the pickups to the original positions if needed.

• we tend to choose a guitar for 2 reasons:

1) Because it looks or feels different

2) It sounds different ( single coil vs Humbucker)

If its for the first reason, I'd change the pickups to match more closely. If its for the second reason, I would modify my sounds to maximize the difference.

In my band, I use a Les Paul and a Gretsch White Falcon and the outputs are fairly different in output and sound. Because i use them for different songs and textures, I have a separate performance for each guitar and therefore the sounds to match. Its a bit of a pain changing the performance mid set but no worse that changing guitar!

• Thank you all for comments. It confirmed my suspicion that there is not a global ‘gain control’ parameter that I can use. I will try at first with the volume knob of my guitar and in case this affects the tone too much, I will make a 2nd set of the performances adjusted for my 2nd guitar. Thanks for all advice and enjoy the day.

• Thank you all for comments. It confirmed my suspicion that there is not a global ‘gain control’ parameter that I can use. I will try at first with the volume knob of my guitar and in case this affects the tone too much, I will make a 2nd set of the performances adjusted for my 2nd guitar. Thanks for all advice and enjoy the day.

There is, as has been pointed out. It's called dist sense (and, I believe, clean sense) in the input menu. You can lock the input section so the settings don't change when you change profiles. You can also save presets for the input section for easy recall.

Think of the two controls as offsets rather than absolute values.

• i use a boss ge7 next to the guitar to bosst only the volume of the weak Pickups to the similar volume of the guitar with the higher output. So you don t have to tweak the profiles and can switch beetween the guitars whenever you want only with one footstep.😉

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

I disagree. The advice about having a separate Input preset is the way I do it. I have 5 that I created with different Distortion Sense settings: Vintage, Standard, SG200 (hotter pickups), Bass, Acoustic. Works great for me.