Can you get Kemper to sound as good through a focusrite as it does through headphone socket?

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

Maybe a stupid one for you!

I run the kemper into a Focusrite for recording etc..i have headphones coming from the focusrite. It sounds completely different than if I pull the headphones out and put them into the front kemper headphone socket.

Any ideas how to get the focusrite sounding as good?

• What Focusrite are you using? It matters if it's a cheap interface or more expensive. I've had a couple of interfaces(brands) thru the years and gone from mediocre to very good headphone amp(SPL Crimson which I still use).

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Make sure your are sending a strong signal into the Focusrite. You might want to go from -12.0db on the Kemper outputs to a -6.0db. You also want the Kemper LED lights to push yellow on your hardest note/palm mute.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Why not stereo? That is the first thing to try.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I have the two cables going from main outputs left and right (the left hand set of outputs) into the front inputs 1 and 2 on the interface.

Inthink what Kemper Support #1 is getting at is that those combination jacks can accept Mic or Instrument level depending on whether you connect with XLR or 1/4” TS. However, if you use 1/4” TS you should also activate the Line Level Buttons on the front panel.

Doesn't sound any different through the 2i2 Focusrite

If the Kemper Headphone out is a stereo signal with Space effect added and you use a Mono signal without space via the 2i2 they should sound quite different.

• Inthink what Kemper Support #1 is getting at is that those combination jacks can accept Mic or Instrument level depending on whether you connect with XLR or 1/4” TS. However, if you use 1/4” TS you should also activate the Line Level Buttons on the front panel.

If the Kemper Headphone out is a stereo signal with Space effect added and you use a Mono signal without space via the 2i2 they should sound quite different.

I use XLR to 1/4 cables.

Is there any way I can get the 2i2 to sound like what I hear out of the kemper headphone? It's incredible.

• Look on Page 6 of 10 on the Output Menu. Uncheck the box for Space>HeadphOnly. Then set the Space parameter to anything you like. Then do a A/B comparison of the Kemper headphone jack and the Focusrite jack.

If you can also plug in the Kemper headphone jack into your Focusrite line input and do an A/B comparison to see if the Focusrite is changing the sound. But set Output to mono or use a Y-splitter when Output set to stereo and use Inputs 1 and 2 on Focusrite.

Note that the headphone amp on the Focusrite may make the sound a little different than on the Kemper headphone amp as some amps can add color.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Regardless of what signal you set the main out to in the output menu (Master Stereo, Master Mono, DI etc) the Headphones always get the Master Stereo signal WITH Space effect on. If you are sending a mono signal to the 2i2 WITHOUT Space effect it will clearly sound different. To get a correct comparison for your base line assessment you need to make sure you set the main output of the Kemper to Master Stereo and set Space in the Output menu to Main+Phones.

Then you need to make sure the 2i2 isn't getting too hot a signal. Aim for around -12dB to start with. And make sure the INST light is not lit up Red.

If the Kemper headphone out still sounds better then the issue is the 2i2 Headphone amp. The Kemper's headphone amp can happily drive any headphones from 32 - 600ohm. The 2i2 may not be as powerful and may struggle with some headphones. I can't find any meaningful specs in the Focusrite manual and I don't know which headphones you are using either so can't really be sure.

• Doesn't sound any different through the 2i2 Focusrite

Make sure you pan the inputs on the focusrite hard left and right. Otherwise you don't get stereo.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Burkhard September 10, 2024 at 3:19 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Can you get kemper to sound as good through a focusrite as it does through headphone socket?” to “Can you get Kemper to sound as good through a focusrite as it does through headphone socket?”.
  • Perfect. Glad we got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back.