How to lessen the insane volume of the cabinet when profiling?

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Stage

So recently i was making some profiles with my amps and suhr reactive load. I was told that the profile should be done with a cab load so i picked up the Kemper DI. It did make a small difference on the latest profile. However, the amount of volume im getting from the cabinet is insane. Its literally knocking pictures off the wall upstairs. Is there any good techniques for muffling the noise a bit so my house doesn't shake apart?

Edited once, last by Amcolan (August 7, 2024 at 6:21 PM).

• When you're using a DI you can as well put the cab face down on a thick carpet so that the speaker faces the carpet. Additional blanket as BayouTexan said can take away a bit more then.

I do this with my trusty old Rocktron S112 which has a DI included and my fine Celestion CL80 in it. You still get some rumble and pictures off the wall but at least much less of the sharp highs that kill your ears when you're in the same room... 8)

• When you're using a DI you can as well put the cab face down on a thick carpet so that the speaker faces the carpet. Additional blanket as BayouTexan said can take away a bit more then.

I do this with my trusty old Rocktron S112 which has a DI included and my fine Celestion CL80 in it. You still get some rumble and pictures off the wall but at least much less of the sharp highs that kill your ears when you're in the same room... 8)

This isn’t bad for the speakers? No room for the air flow. It won’t blow the speakers ?

• This isn’t bad for the speakers? No room for the air flow. It won’t blow the speakers ?

Interesting thought. Not so much I know. A carpet does not make it airtight, specifically not with the shag pile I have here. And I would assume that any isolation cab you buy on the market is more airtight then. Never heard of any issues with that...

• It will not kill the speaker. It is only a short period of stress.

Academic thoughts: The impedance curve could be influenced …. 🫣

But nobody would hear the difference

Correct - change the acoustics of a room -> you change the impedance of the system. Discussions of the physics of brasses (trumpet, trombone etc) talk about how the space you are playing in (reverberant vs anechoic or out in a field) alters the impedance of the system and this alters the results of your phycical effort in driving your embouchure (vibrating lips) with the breath. As you say, academic consideration probably for profiling.

• I am just talking aloud... thoughts:

The speaker is a motor/generator. So you put energy into moving the speaker out from the center. This energy is partially put into the spring of the paper/etc. When the signal reduces or changes direction that spring energy will be pushed back into the amp.

If the speaker cab/room is small it limits the ability of the speaker to move. Since the speaker coil is not moving as much anymore, the energy being pushed back into the amp will be reduced (back EMF).

This is all just fancy talk for "it may change the way the profile sounds". Because the speaker is not moving the way it normally does and therefore not interacting with the amplifier as normal. My guess is most DI Load boxes dont account for this so it is probably a very small change. Probably never notice it.

There is also the thing where the speaker goes into compression normally. Meaning it is so loud it stops moving linearly. Which would have a similar effect on the back EMF. This is probably a much larger component on the overall sound. And is part of the reason to do a DI with the speaker connected.

As far as heat you may be reducing the cooling effect of the moving coil/paper in free space. So you may not want to run max volume for long time. Depending on the amount of mass, things take time to reach full temp. The coil is pretty small so it may heat up quickly.

• The impedance curve of the speaker does definitely influence the output of the amp and of course a direct profil

This is the reason why most load boxes come to different results.

If I want to capture my amp, the best way is to use the same speaker I usually use.
    Not only speaker sound different, they also have different impedance curves which make the amp behave different.

I did a lot of experimenting with a lot of speaker and the outcome is different, but it is mostly a realy academic difference if you put the same speaker in an open or close cabinet or if you put a close cabinets face to the ground.

I definitely prefer the real thing but I have a rock solid basement 🤩