Tuner Reference Pitch - WATCH OUT!

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Player

A tiny thing but worth checking. Ive been tuning my guitar with the Kemper Player and practising with it all week using the Kemper's tuner. Today I decided to play along with a backing track and it sounded awful, so I decided to tune with my TC Polytune and sure enough the Kemper was "off". I checked in Rig Manager settings and found the reference pitch was 439.3 not 440, not enough for me to hear playing alone but enough to sound awful with backing tracks. I'm sure I must have inadvertently changed it at some point, but I don't know how or when, but its something worth checking every so often, (my OCD will make me do it all the flippin' time now). Pity there's no 'lock' function, Good to see that someone else has added this lock request already to the feature requests.

Edited 2 times, last by morrissey007 (July 19, 2024 at 5:43 PM).

• i reported basically the same issues months back but no one else seemed to had experienced it so it got forgotten. the tuner randomly changed on me to a number just like yours. it happened a couple of times but i haven't noticed it lately. there's a ghost in the machine!

"No socks? No problem."

• Yeah - I broke an expensive wound string on another instrument (not guitar) due to accidentally knocking the reference pitch up to 443 or something. This was years ago so not evidence of a bug in the latest beta or anything.

• Yeah - I broke an expensive wound string on another instrument (not guitar) due to accidentally knocking the reference pitch up to 443 or something. This was years ago so not evidence of a bug in the latest beta or anything.

intact strings can easily be tuned a fourth of fifth higher than their 'standard' pitch -> see different string gauges
    in the case of 440 to 443 we're talking 11.7 cents (!)

• intact strings can easily be tuned a fourth of fifth higher than their 'standard' pitch -> see different string gauges
    in the case of 440 to 443 we're talking 11.7 cents (!)

Try that stunt with a cello string. Not happening.

As far as tuning up guitar strings that far I guess that is true if you start wtih a new string from a 008 or 009 set. A 2nd string B (0.011) from a 009 set can work as a 1st string E (0.011) and 49 to 11 or 52 to11 sets come this way. And that E can probably be bent up a tone no problem. If you take your E 0.011 and try to tune it up to the 7th fret B it is going to break.

• Try that stunt with a cello string. Not happening.

As far as tuning up guitar strings that far I guess that is true if you start wtih a new string from a 008 or 009 set. A 2nd string B (0.011) from a 009 set can work as a 1st string E (0.011) and 49 to 11 or 52 to11 sets come this way. And that E can probably be bent up a tone no problem. If you take your E 0.011 and try to tune it up to the 7th fret B it is going to break.

I don’t know about cellos but as far as guitars go 3 hz isn’t going to make any difference. I usedmtomplay 11 - 49 but have gone all wimpy and now use 10 - 46. My trems are set up to pull up a minor 3rd on the G string (I have had them at a major 3rd but the forward tip on the bridge was too much) but with a rout behind the trem I’m sure I manage a 4th on the G. If a string breaks on a guitar when tuning to 443hz something else is the cause.

• Yeah - I broke an expensive wound string on another instrument (not guitar) due to accidentally knocking the reference pitch up to 443 or something.

That must be an interesting non-guitar instrument if that minuscule pitch change breaks a string. Given that "standard" classical concert pitch varies across orchestras, with a number using 443 as their reference A, a string that doesn't survive that isn't really practical except in rare edge cases.

Also, fluctuations due to temperature and humidity will affect tune by a couple of cents regularly - you don't want strings to burst from a 3 ct change.

It is true, though, that Cuban orchestras use (or used to use} a lower concert pitch to make their strings last longer. But that's a question of longevity, not one of a string just bursting due to a 3 ct. pitch change.

I would very much assume that your string broke due to a combination if causes, maybe with the 3 ct change being the proverbial final straw...

• I would very much assume that your string broke due to a combination if causes, maybe with the 3 ct change being the proverbial final straw...

That string was a Cello A which had been fitted for quite a while and had held tune well. When I tried to raise the pitch to match the (erroneous) reference it protested and expired. If you think of the string on a machine head (for example) part of the string under tension is straight and then if you wind it on a little further that section gets bent into the curvature of the barrel - one side of the string gets stretched further and the other side has a relaxation of tension. The pattern of stresses across the fairly thick string is quite different.

If it had been left at the established setting it may have lasted a lot longer - like the rest of the set - and a new set plus a spare A and shipping from the US was required so the solution was quite expensive. If it had simply been broken because it was actually flat I wouldn't have felt so bad.

Edited once, last by Antipodes (July 23, 2024 at 8:37 PM).

• yesterday I turned on the tuner (unpowered toaster with latest beta) and it showed that my guitar was almost 2 halftones flat..i.e A-string was tuned to G + 10cents..E-string was tuned to D + 7 cents and so on..ref pitch on the kemper was set to 440.. guitar was perfectly in tune according to 2 other tuners ...rebooted my kemper and everything was fine again.

• Well I said I "must have inadvertently" changed it but as others have experienced this I'm beginning to think maybe I didn't and theres a bug.

maybe its both: inadvertently seems pretty likely to me. I did that so many times when just scrolling down in the rig manager to see settings and merely *hovering* over the reference pitch changed it, i.e. not holding the mouse button. Which in my view clearly qualifies as bug. Or at least poor engineering, people use the mouse-scrolling feature and then oops, tuner pitch changes.....

p.s.: just noted that this behaviour is actually on all continuous controls in the rig manager. i.e. if you (like me) use the mouse-scrolling (sliding your finger on top of the mouse) it works fine until by chance the mouse-cursor is over a control. if you then let briefly go and then attempt to continue scrolling, you actually change the value of the controller instead. I suppose most the time one notices this right away because sound changed, but for the reference pitch that's not the case, so...

_____________________________________________________________________________
    Kemper Player, EV ELX112P, Suhr S.Henderson Strat, Fender Ultra Tele, PRS S2 Custom24, Variax JTV-69

• I changed accidentally my tuner, as well. Well, I guess so, because it makes more sense than "alone" but anyway it's weird. This value should not be affected by the scroll. Level, gain, equalizer knobs are ok to be moved by the mouse. Tuner? Nope.

• I changed accidentally my tuner, as well. Well, I guess so, because it makes more sense than "alone" but anyway it's weird. This value should not be affected by the scroll. Level, gain, equalizer knobs are ok to be moved by the mouse. Tuner? Nope.

Text entry only in the editor (no mouse control) might work, as would allowing a lock setting. You can still just accidently knock a rotary encoder on the toaster to accidentally shift it if there is no lock.

• G String September 4, 2024 at 4:06 PM

Closed the thread.