DXR10 - why so popular ?

• Just wondering ....I mean there must be loads of powerered speakers around, ?

Yamaha's professional audio equipment is renowned for Quality and class leading "bang-for-the-buck" value. They also have impressive global aftermarket service and support capabilities, as well as product warranty. Their pro-audio products typically maintain a high resale value.

Finally, the DXR/DSR series has received many industry accolades, not to mention the enthusiastic reviews and testimonies by owners, here in the KPA community, as well as on other digital modeling amp forums.

Cheers,
    John

• Sounds great, small, good value, proven reliable and (in the U.S anyway) easily available.

Checked all the boxes for me. I bought one for a monitor and liked it so much the band ended up buying another 2, and a matching Yamaha sub as a rehersal/small gig P.A.

Lots of great alternative options out there for sure, but the DXR10's had a great reputation, so we went with them, and have never regretted it.

• 1100Watts ....thats serious monitor power isn't it?....do you think the DXR8 is almost as good?....same wattage.

Their specs are not very detailed and the 1100 watts is basically a maximum possible with a very limited signal and for a very short amount of time. In the real world you won't get that amount of power for any usable length of time. The continuous rating is 600w for the woofer and 100w for the tweeter but no mention of signal width, amount of time or percent of THD (total harmonic distortion) so I would assume those numbers are maximized as well. They do list a max SPL but I would have to assume that is also maximized and not when you will get in real world use.

All that being said there is very little difference between say 400w and 550w into the same speaker. You wouldn't notice a volume difference.

There might be a slight volume difference between the 8" and the 10" but I would think the biggest difference would be in the overall sound. Some do not like the sound of the smaller speakers. I would think you would want to compare them side by side and ideally in a real world situation.

• I tried quite a few monitors as well side by side with my Kemper. The DXR10 was definitely the best. I preferred it over the DXR12 as well, which surprised me...so that is reason, its pretty good. Some will argue there are better monitors ( Atomic CLR's etc) but pound for pound the Yam is pretty good.

Note in the end I went for an unpowered monitor which was even cheaper ( £180) which was nearly as good so its always bets to give them all a go as much is personal preference.

• One of the hardest things to do in the modeling/profiling game is to get great tone at loud stage volumes, especially with a FRFR. IME a 10" driver simply cannot keep up with the punch and low end necessary for a loud stage (this is with FRFR of course). The frequency response graphs do not seem to apply here for some reason. But I have been pleased using a 15" FRFR on a loud stage. It seems like with modelers and FRFR's, it's like muscle car engines; no replacement for displacement.

Another issue is that even though a small woofer FRFR has plenty of power, it can hit an acoustical output limit at loud volumes. You will notice that all your lows and lower mids disappear, and all you have left is signal above say 2-3k. One could guess that the smaller woofer hits its maximum acoustic output but the tweeter has more power and acoustical output capability available. The tweeter gets louder while the woofer stays the same volume, and the sound gets very unbalanced. This effect (or the lack thereof) is a huge difference between cheap and expensive FRFR's with otherwise identical specs.

I have used 10's and 12" FRFRs on relatively quiet stages with success. Also standard 12" guitar speakers (non FRFR) can be effective on a loud stage if enough power is available.

IMHO it's essential to take your maximum stage volume into consideration when selecting a FRFR; put your 1000W 10" FRFR on stage beside a blazing SVT stack and loud drummer, and you might be disappointed.

• I use DXR8 together with in ear! I often use only one ear and one ear for my DXR it works perfect
    I am not a heavy metal player, but dont understand how you dont get enaugh low end! on my Accoustic i often need o turn down bass on higher level... but if you play heavy metal and a horrible high wolume on stage its not for you..