Profiles done with different guitars, soundquestions???Who has done profiles with di marzio evolution pick ups?

• as stated repeatedly: the guitar has no influence on the profiling and refing process.

For me it sounds good what Don writes. If there is no difference, fine :thumbup:
    So why do we have to write with which kind of pick up the profile is created (in the inspector file of RM)? There is amp, channel pick up type and so on.

• as stated repeatedly: the guitar has no influence on the profiling and refing process.

For me it sounds good what Don writes. If there is no difference, fine :thumbup:
    So why do we have to write with which kind of pick up the profile is created (in the inspector file of RM)? There is amp, channel pick up type and so on.

the idea here was basically to indicate whether the amp was dialed in with a HB or SC equipped guitar.
    It is supposed to give you a bit of information, and wasn't meant to cause 'OMG, I HAVE to use this exact pickup'-anxiety ;)

I exaggerate, but only to make a point, no disrespect :)

Agreed. The ONLY influence the original guitar has on the profile is the volume, gain, and tone control settings on the amplifier.
    I profiled my Jubilee with the perfect settings for my favorite guitar (a Hamer with a set neck, mahogany body, SSH pickups). When I switch to other guitars using the KPA, I hear the difference in guitars, just like it I would if I was using the same guitars with the Marshall.

The HB/SC tag in the profiles can give you an idea of how the Rig may work with a particular guitar, but some minor tweaking of the Amp Stack tone controls may be the only thing needed to us a Rig with a radially different sounding guitar.

• the Definition parameter is extremely powerful to make a profile 'fit' a certain guitar/pickup combo better.
    a profile of an amp dialed in with a mid heavy/darker sounding humbucker would probably be rather bright to compensate the darker tone of the guitar/pickup. if this profile is now used with a bright sounding SC guitar, it behaves exactly like the amp would - it would be too bright. (bright guitar + bright amp)

a profile of a bright amp most likely has a Definition of >5, lower the parameter until you hit the sweet spot for your guitar and vice versa.

in short,as always, it is about the amp itself, how the amp was set, the cabinet and the way it was miked.use Definition to find your sweet spot. Look at the Definition value of a few rigs you like,they are most likely within a certain range.

Making this about the pickups is over-complicating a rather simple issue, really. ;)
    hth

I am still trying to understand exactly what you guys have done with the "definition"-parameter.If it is like you say than it should also "interact" with the "presence"-button and maybe the "power sagging";By "interacting" I mean finding the "sweet spot" on an profile.making (as example) a 5150 sounding more like a "vintage marshall" with much less gain,much less compression (specially in the higher frequencies) but having more "open mids";

This would be very interesting.But this would also need much more "discussion" and information from the producers side.

• yes, any sort of stomp box that is not time delay based, as I have always understood it. Don, you and the other great folks at Kemper, obviously know what you are talking about, but it is just that a non engineer, like myself does not understand why everything used in the profile matters, EXCEPT the guitar and pickups. And really, it only matters if one is trying to understand why. So, would you say you would get the exact same profile out of an amp, if you used an electric banjo, or flute to make the profile, as you would with a Les Paul?

It's really easy, actually (If you know how the profiling process works):Never profiled an amp yet (won't be too long until I have the chance I hope) but for what I've read and the videos I've seen, I think i've more or less an idea of it:

GUITAR ---> KPA ----> STOMP BOX(ES) ----> AMP+CAB ----> MIC(S) ------> MIC PREAMPS ----> MIXING CONSOLE ------> BACK TO KPA

Actually I think you could unplug your guitar once you've tweaked your amp to where you want it and before the profiling process (except for the fine tuning). So the point is stomp boxes are obviously in the way of the signal flow which departs from KPA and comes back to it, therefore they have an influence in the resulting profile, same as mics, preamps, etc. but NOT the guitar at all, as it is NOT part of the signal flow during the profiling process.

• Reading this thread (and not trying to sound like a chameleon) I follow all the points and opinions discussed so far.

My take on it is the Kemper is simply (and marvelously) a magnifier of our most favorite/coveted tones.

So whether we drive our sound through any particular guitar, it will faithfully as possible deliver that selected tone as captured. The better the instrument you use, the better the result.

Beyond that, some profiles I've discovered also have that unique characteristic of sounding great across the guitar spectrum. Albeit Fender, Strat, etc. Which only makes life all the better for us. ;)

So, IMO it's not a pick up selection or other guitar components per say, but the overall quality of the instrument your playing (as well as your fingers) which are being magnified through your favorite profile giving you that "holy grail" tone.

My 2 cents

Happy Kemper