kemper updates

• It’s been said before, but I find that focusing on all the great stuff I can already do with my Kemper is a more satisfying approach than longing for updates I’d like but don’t have.

It’s remarkable really that Kemper is still supporting such relatively old hardware, most companies would have replaced the original Kemper with later versions, abandoning updates for the old Kempers and forcing people to buy new hardware each time. Or forcing people to pay for new software. That we still get free updates at all is a bonus, even if there’s a delay.

• It’s been said before, but I find that focusing on all the great stuff I can already do with my Kemper is a more satisfying approach than longing for updates I’d like but don’t have.

It’s remarkable really that Kemper is still supporting such relatively old hardware, most companies would have replaced the original Kemper with later versions, abandoning updates for the old Kempers and forcing people to buy new hardware each time. Or forcing people to pay for new software. That we still get free updates at all is a bonus, even if there’s a delay.

Well it is the currently sold version you are mentioning. When just having purchased a profiler it is NOT remarkable at all that it is "still" supported. But you are right with getting free new functions is great. The functions and parameters that I never used until today outnumber by far the ones that I know and use. Anyhow really looking forward to the splitter effect and having mentioned that... in how many songs in a bands setlist I intend to use it? Not that much! So my conclusion: We love new stuff!

• Just got my stage a few weeks ago and still figuring out all the stuff that's in there. So for me, not sure I would have much use for more updates. Rather than more features, I'd like the makers of professional profiles remake theirs in Liquid format like Mattfig did/does. I find there is a quite noticeable difference between those and generic ones.

That said, with what's in there there's plenty to discover.

I just figured the drives and fuzzes are actually pretty damn good (unlike in the Helix or Axe IMO). That "true impedance" feature actually makes the fuzzes almost behave like real ones with the guitar volume. I mean at least in the ballpark, respect!

• Well it is the currently sold version you are mentioning. When just having purchased a profiler it is NOT remarkable at all that it is "still" supported.

It depends what we mean by “supported”. I wasn’t referring to looking after the customer with after-sales support etc if something goes wrong. Yes all companies should do that.

We were talking about updates which introduce new features etc. I don’t think there’s any moral obligation to provide updates that give new features, even if someone only bought the unit yesterday. So it’s to Kempers credit that they are still offering such updates for such relatively old hardware. Personally I find it remarkable that they do.

• It depends what we mean by “supported”. I wasn’t referring to looking after the customer with after-sales support etc if something goes wrong. Yes all companies should do that.

We were talking about updates which introduce new features etc. I don’t think there’s any moral obligation to provide updates that give new features, even if someone only bought the unit yesterday. So it’s to Kempers credit that they are still offering such updates for such relatively old hardware. Personally I find it remarkable that they do.

That's because Kemper is still producing and selling these 'old devices' and making profits from them. Usually, devices that have been discontinued will not receive subsequent firmware updates,Any company would do this,This is all business, not kindness.

• That's because Kemper is still producing and selling these 'old devices' and making profits from them. Usually, devices that have been discontinued will not receive subsequent firmware updates,Any company would do this,This is all business, not kindness.

I think you’re missing the point that we are talking about updates that introduce *new features*. They don’t have to do any of that, at all. Firmware updates could be limited to no more than bug fixes. Instead we get new features, and for free.

• That's because Kemper is still producing and selling these 'old devices' and making profits from them.

This to me is one of the best selling points of Kemper. Not having to continually purchase new hardware to get new features. And the biggest plus of all is the knowledge that my tweaked profile sounds will remain constant regardless of system updates.

• I think you’re missing the point that we are talking about updates that introduce *new features*. They don’t have to do any of that, at all. Firmware updates could be limited to no more than bug fixes. Instead we get new features, and for free.

It is precisely because of these firmware updates with new functions that kemper's products can maintain sales for many years and be competitive with other brands, which is a business model.

• This to me is one of the best selling points of Kemper. Not having to continually purchase new hardware to get new features. And the biggest plus of all is the knowledge that my tweaked profile sounds will remain constant regardless of system updates.

Yes, you are right. If kemper announces to stop updating the firmware, I can guarantee that kemper's product sales will immediately fall to the bottom. People will choose to buy them in the second-hand market.

• It would be difficult today to announce that there will be no more free updates....

All the competitors purpose that (except Fractal maybe).

Even L6 have jumped from HD400/500/500+ to the Helix. It was lanched 10 years ago and it always knows updates. It was 3 times the price (IMO, it's an important point, we are ready to buy devices much more expensive so there must be a compensation somewhere) but if L6 was on the last business model, they would have launched HD600/700 & 800 during all these 9 years....

Even chinese brands provide new free updates.....

And honestly, with all sustainable development problems today, i'm pretty pleased to see devices last....

• New
    • Official Post

Yes, you are right. If kemper announces to stop updating the firmware, I can guarantee that kemper's product sales will immediately fall to the bottom. People will choose to buy them in the second-hand market.

our updates are free. as for the updates, there is no difference in buying second hand or new. even today.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• It is precisely because of these firmware updates with new functions that kemper's products can maintain sales for many years and be competitive with other brands, which is a business model.

I think you’re not giving Kemper due credit for operating a customer friendly business model.

Most tech companies for any tech product would work on improvements and new features, then periodically, maybe every couple of years or less, announce the release of Widget version 2, which would have the new features.

Which would mean the users who want the features of Widget version 2 have to buy the new hardware.

It would be announced that Widget version 1 will continue to get free bug fixes / security patches, as required, for a limited period, maybe 3 years, at which point it would be at “end of life”, meaning support would stop.

Then a year or two after the release of Widget version 2, Widget version 3 is announced. Same procedure. And so on. A business model that drives people to buy new hardware every couple of years.

Instead, Kemper provide the new features as updates to the existing hardware, to not only keep the product attractive for a new user considering what to buy today, but to give all the new features, free of charge, to all their existing customers, even the ones who bought a Kemper twelve years ago, keeping their old device up to date with all the same new features that a new user who buys today would get, and free of charge to the owner of the 12 year old Kemper.

I don’t really understand the reluctance to acknowledge the customer friendly aspect of this approach.

• I don't think you understand what I mean. The firmware update of a product requires investment, and the company's revenue comes from selling new products.Because transactions in the second-hand market do not bring any profits to the company,So the company must find ways to consistently sell more products in the future to ensure its revenue, and free firmware updates are the biggest reason to attract new users to purchase products.

It is precisely because new users purchase new products that the company has the funds to do firmware updates for the products, which is a virtuous cycle where both the company and users benefit.The attractiveness of continuous product updates is the way to ensure that new users join.

• I don't think you understand what I mean. The firmware update of a product requires investment, and the company's revenue comes from selling new products.Because transactions in the second-hand market do not bring any profits to the company,So the company must find ways to consistently sell more products in the future to ensure its revenue, and free firmware updates are the biggest reason to attract new users to purchase products.

It is precisely because new users purchase new products that the company has the funds to do firmware updates for the products, which is a virtuous cycle where both the company and users benefit.The attractiveness of continuous product updates is the way to ensure that new users join.

Kemper is a company that must ensure sufficient revenue before proceeding with other work. And these benefits can be reflected in the selling price of the product from the beginning——Kemper's products are actually not cheap.

Instead of paying for updates, let's think about how to sell more new products to increase the company's revenue.

(Sorry, I don't know English. All of the above relies on translation software.)

• Kemper is a company that must ensure sufficient revenue before proceeding with other work. And these benefits can be reflected in the selling price of the product from the beginning——Kemper's products are actually not cheap.

Instead of paying for updates, let's think about how to sell more new products to increase the company's revenue.

(Sorry, I don't know English. All of the above relies on translation software.)

Certainly not "cheap", but also not nearly as expensive as an Axe III Fx.

I think they are a value within the performance market segment that they play in. Better than a helix, but at a similar price range. Close to an Axe III Fx in most regards (better in some, worse in others), yet much less expensive.

Not only have I been using my Kemper since 2013, because I have had it for so long, several people I know from other bands have purchased it as well (all former tube amp users). From the anecdotal evidence I have experienced, Kemper's business model is working just fine.

• I think there was never been such a long period without a new update,

thoughts anyone?

You are mistaken. You can go to the "News and updates" section, select the filter "from any date", and see the gap between updates 8.7.10 and 8.7.11. Also the gap between v8.6.6 -> v8.7.0 Beta, and v5.6.2 -> v5.7.0.

I, like many, would have liked the tremolo update much sooner. We may not know why it wasn't released shortly after the NAMM demo, but there was probably a good reason for the delay.

• Certainly not "cheap", but also not nearly as expensive as an Axe III Fx.

I think they are a value within the performance market segment that they play in. Better than a helix, but at a similar price range. Close to an Axe III Fx in most regards (better in some, worse in others), yet much less expensive.

Not only have I been using my Kemper since 2013, because I have had it for so long, several people I know from other bands have purchased it as well (all former tube amp users). From the anecdotal evidence I have experienced, Kemper's business model is working just fine.

Yes, you are right. So I hope kemper will not discard such a business model, which is successful. It can benefit both the company and users.