Beta 11 finally gives me what the Kemper was missing!!!

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

I have gone back and forth with the Kemper because I didn't like how the drive pedals responded. When you crank the volume on a tube screamer for instance it is meant to give you more gain but also give you a slight volume boost. Due to the Clean Compensation feature that is built in to the Kemper the volume of the amp always turned down and that was annoying IMO. Even using the Pure boost before the amp I got more gain but also a volume drop.

Now with the Clean Compensation parameter exposed in the amp block I can choose to change that setting per rig to get the volume boost I want when pushing amps with gain pedals. I had emailed support about this and it wasn't a a few days later (simply coincidence) that this feature was added. Now the Kemper is perfect and I am loving the tones and workflow.

I will post a video on my channel very soon.

• Go to Best Answer
  • I have gone back and forth with the Kemper because I didn't like how the drive pedals responded. When you crank the volume on a tube screamer for instance it is meant to give you more gain but also give you a slight volume boost. Due to the Clean Compensation feature that is built in to the Kemper the volume of the amp always turned down and that was annoying IMO. Even using the Pure boost before the amp I got more gain but also a volume drop.

Now with the Clean Compensation parameter exposed in the amp block I can choose to change that setting per rig to get the volume boost I want when pushing amps with gain pedals. I had emailed support about this and it wasn't a a few days later (simply coincidence) that this feature was added. Now the Kemper is perfect and I am loving the tones and workflow.

I will post a video on my channel very soon.

Normally putting a drive pedal in front of a distorted tube amp compresses the tone more and cannot give a significant boost in volume. No matter how much output, it only adds a bit of volume after that it starts getting "pushed" sounding. We all know that. So really the Kemper was just pretty much acting like a normal tube amp does. That being said I would like it if I could use a front end pedal to boost gain AND add volume using that method instead of hitting a pedal or morphing gain plus morphing the rig volume like I do now.

I grazed through the instructions, but how do you set yours so a drive pedal will boost volume too?

• Best Answer
    • Official Post

Clean Compensation
    When Clean Compensation is set to maximum, the natural loss of volume of the amp PROFILE is compensated as the amp gain is dialed towards clean sounds. Amp volume is simply increased with decreasing gain settings, without further coloration of the sound. This reduces the need to re-level clean sounds for live performances. Most PROFILEs have Clean Compensation set to maximum.

By reducing Clean Compensation, you can lower the compensation to zero to achieve a natural gain behavior. This is recommended when using a distortion effect in front of an amp, and you’re aiming for that classic boost effect when engaging the distortion.

- from the manual

• Everyone to his (or her) taste. For me, adjusting gain without having to readjust the volume is a key feature of the Kemper. Makes dialing in sounds so much easier…

But, if this is a benefit for some, it is good news, of course.