New to Kemper Amps

• Hey guys,

So right now I'm currently in the air about buying a Kemper. Looking for some feedback. I play Pop-punk style music in small setting venues. Most of the time the sound guy isn't the best, and half the time we don't even get to mic our cabs. This would mean if I purchase the Kemper, I would still need to run it through my 4x12 orange cab. Does this mean I NEED to get the Power head kemper?

Also, I am looking to add this to my home studio equipment. From what I've heard it makes recording super easy. Just plug the Guitar into the Kemper, and the Kemper into the interface and you have an incredible professional recording tone. Is this true?

Lastly, for the bigger set venues that do have audio engineers, How easy is it to run the Kemper to the FOH and let the sound guy mix it? Then just have a dummy cab on stage for looks and run the stage sound through the front wedges? Any experience with this?

Looking for any and all feedback before dumping this incredible amount of money which in the long run could totally be worth it.

Thanks.

• All very reasonable and logical questions, chrrriiiiissss, and welcome, mate!

Hey guys,

So right now I'm currently in the air about buying a Kemper. Looking for some feedback. I play Pop-punk style music in small setting venues. Most of the time the sound guy isn't the best, and half the time we don't even get to mic our cabs. This would mean if I purchase the Kemper, I would still need to run it through my 4x12 orange cab. Does this mean I NEED to get the Power head kemper? .

No mate. You can buy a dedicated power amp. A nice valve one perhaps, if you can afford it. There are preferences here on the board, but I'm not up with them as I don't play live. Someone will surely chime in on this.

Also, I am looking to add this to my home studio equipment. From what I've heard it makes recording super easy. Just plug the Guitar into the Kemper, and the Kemper into the interface and you have an incredible professional recording tone. Is this true? .

If ever anything was true, 'tis this, brother.

Lastly, for the bigger set venues that do have audio engineers, How easy is it to run the Kemper to the FOH and let the sound guy mix it? Then just have a dummy cab on stage for looks and run the stage sound through the front wedges? Any experience with this? .

You could run your sound, without cabinet emulation, into your Orange on stage if that's how you like to monitor (better than wedges I'm guessing), and at the same time send it with cab emulation to the FOH.

All the I/O you could possibly need, and the ability to control separately the various levels and whether or not they carry cab emulation and for some, effects, is there.

Looking for any and all feedback before dumping this incredible amount of money which in the long run could totally be worth it.

Thanks.

Could be? Hmm... I'm thinking, "would be".

Congrats on barking up the right tree, chrrriiiiissss, and welcome again!

• The Monkey has said it all imo. At bigger venues I would use a guitar cab or frfr solution and then also send to foh. As said already this is simple with all the I/Os.

For recording it is amazing imo. I use the s/pdif out straight to my Motu interface into pro logic and as long as the profile is 'good' it'll sound great;) although remember a lot of the sound depends on the mixing and other techniques such as double or even quad tracking parts etc- things I'm still trying to improve when there's time.

Edited 2 times, last by Netheravon (May 9, 2016 at 5:17 PM).

• I haven't gone FOH yet, just use my Kemper into a 4x12, either miked or unmiked and it sounds ace.

I use a powered rack purely because I wanted to run conventionally first.

Going direct is quite a paradigm shift for us guitarists so you need to think a bit differently in doing this as there are plenty of options.

Even me using it in its very limited capacity I can categorically say its the best Amp I've ever owned ( best sound, incredibly versatile and easy to use etc). It will take some familiarisation time but the forum has been incredible to help me get it sorted!

Go for it!

• I am looking to add this to my home studio equipment. From what I've heard it makes recording super easy. Just plug the Guitar into the Kemper, and the Kemper into the interface and you have an incredible professional recording tone. Is this true?

True. In fact, Michael Wagener uses it in the studio and even released a set of commercial profiles for it.

• Buy a Yamaha DXR 10.
    Mounted on a pole it will make for an awesome backline in smaller venues and used as a wedge it will be your personal monitor everywhere else.
    You're welcome.

This is exactly the route I have gone. Sounds great, simple to set up, less gear to lug around, sounds amazing, sounds great, amazing sounds.......

Sold all my pedal boards, tube amps and cabs..... I'm a week in wondering why i didnt do this years ago!

• Welcome along !!! I just plug it straight into the desk to FOH with 2 xlr's and I have an Ambrosi Power insert in mine to a FRFR ( full range flat response ) Dynacord monitor.works great for me ( and very portable )

• Can someone give me a quick run down of how to hook this directly to a PA for crowd sound? I need 2 1/4inch or 2 XLR cables and run them to the FOH, or do I run a 1/4inch from the main out to the FOH.

• Can someone give me a quick run down of how to hook this directly to a PA for crowd sound? I need 2 1/4inch or 2 XLR cables and run them to the FOH, or do I run a 1/4inch from the main out to the FOH.

Also can I use a Kemper power amp and cab for stage sound, and then run it straight to FOH also?

Yep, just run a XLR direct. Use the monitor out if you're going to run a wedge on stage.