Just ordered a Kemper. Wondering if I chose the right one for me.

• Hi everyone,

I just ordered a Kemper Amp and wondering if I chose the right one for my situation. I got the regular head version (not rack, not powered).

I plan on using it for live and studio. In the studio I will probably run it via Spdif direct. For live, I will run the Kemper direct to the PA, and monitoring using in ears.

However, I am wondering if I should have ordered the powered version; while I plan on monitoring and sending the kemper direct most of the time live, I also understand I may need to send some signal out through a speaker to get feedback like a real amp would on stage. The idea of having a power amp is also nice incase I just want to bring the Kemper to a jam session with other friends/groups and plug in to a speaker cabinet. Not sure if it's worth the extra $ though considering it won't make much of a difference to the audience or myself in terms of monitoring. I am wondering if there is a cheaper alternative that will take up a very small footprint and can do the job for feedback and occasional jam sessions? If the built in power amp is a match made in heaven, I'd consider returning the Kemper I just I bought and upgrading to the powered version just so I don't have any regrets down the line...is there an external power amp that is highly recommended instead of the built in one? Perhaps a stereo power amp so I can run stereo fx?

Also wondering if I should have gone with the Rack unit? The rack would be nice, but I wanted to choose the one that would be the most portable for fly dates and such. Is the rack version portable enough to take on a plane carry on in a small rack case, or is the head version best for this sorta thing?

Thanks!

• You made the right choice, at least for carrying it around. As for the power option, it's really up to you but if you don't want to have any regrets every time you see someone else plug his KPA straight into a cab, go for the powered version.

I have the unpowered version and it suits my needs more than I though before purchasing it. I use the FX return of a JCM900 when I jam with friends or simply a EHX Magnum .44 into a oversized 1x12 (V30) with surprising results.

Don't forget, for the price difference of a powered KPA vs. a non-powered one, you can have a Yamaha DXR10 which is awesome.

Welcome to the club!

• Well nobody knows if you like head or rack better. ;)
    As for poweramp or not: If you plan to MAINLY play through PA and active FRFR cabs I would buy the unpowered head and maybe retrofit it later with one of the available 3rd party options like the Camplifier or Ambrosi lines.

• I like the portability of my unpowered Kemper head.

I'm one of the many who use a Yamaha DXR10 (small and light). They also make a DXR8 - it has more than enough power, and would be a great feedback generator, when used like a wedge monitor. The 8 sounds almost exactly like the 10, with just slightly less low end. As often as I end up using the 100hz cut on the back of the DX10, I probably could be playing through a DXR8 all the time :)

• After thinking and guessing for quite some time I went for powered Rack as a "highly integrated" solution. For me it has been the right decision. Maybe I will get an powered toaster as well. One Device (oke the remote as well...) that would do everything.

• There really isn't a wrong choice when it comes to the Kemper because there are so many option and solutions out there that work great. I bought the unpowered and couldn't be happier using active frfr monitors. Great ones can be had for as little as $400.

If you decide to go the power amp path maybe the rack version would be better. Look at Matrix Amplification, they get great reviews here although there are many options out there for amps that won't color your tone.

Have fun and welcome aboard!

• Trust me the Kemper will never be the wrong choice!!! When I brought my first one 2 years ago not a day has gone by that I thought I should have brought something else instead. I used to use DXR10's for stage monitoring which sounded great but I have switched to IEM's now. I must say I don't find it hard to get feedback without a stage monitor or cab behind me. Like other users here have said go for the unpowered version as this makes sense with the way you are going to use it.

• Thank you for all the advice so far! Okay, I feel very good about not going to the powered version knowing they make retrofitted power amps IN STEREO! I believe the power head is only mono, right? I'd rather have the possibility of stereo than be stuck with a mono poweramp. If I feel the need for one down the line I will ask again to see what's the leading model at that stage in the future, but happy to know there are options outside of an external power amp, as saving space and portability is important.

Dirtstyler: Can you tell me more about the EHX Magnum .44? I read about that and thought that might be a great way to just use for a small speaker to get feedback....but.

Paults: I'll check out the DXR8 as an alternative to the EHX Magnum .44 and a small single speaker. Looks cool.

Raoul23: You say you have no problem getting feedback without a stage monitor? How does that work? I thought feedback was directly related to having the pickups and speaker creating a feedback loop. Enlighten me as I will be solely monitoring myself via IEMs and going direct to FOH, so the idea of getting a speaker on stage for me is only for the sake of getting feedback, not for hearing anything.

• Same, I went powered head for the all-in-one integration (which imo justifies the extra cost + it's by kemper ;) ), and should I ever have want of plugging straight into a cab (especially in light of the incoming official 3.0 and DI profiles) I can do so without need of a rack poweramp. If you're being quoted a difference of 400-500 more for the powerhead version, I would say go for it and be done with it. A decent power solution, whether rack or retrofit, I figured would come out to around 400 or so minimum anyways, especially considering shipping costs for EU based retrofitting power options and any future problems should the units fail. The powerhead option is covered by warranty in my case so it all pretty much goes to the same place for repairs should anything occur, which kinda tweaks me A-OK! l ;)

I've studio monitors that sorta fit the bill in terms of monitoring, FRFRs would be sorta redundant in my case. I'd much rather go for a cab to recapture the 'amp-in-the-room' sound if I'm ever feeling freaky :P Ditto on the situation of ever wanting to just hook up to a friends cab for a get-together or whatnot.

• Thank you for all the advice so far! Okay, I feel very good about not going to the powered version knowing they make retrofitted power amps IN STEREO! I believe the power head is only mono, right? I'd rather have the possibility of stereo than be stuck with a mono poweramp. If I feel the need for one down the line I will ask again to see what's the leading model at that stage in the future, but happy to know there are options outside of an external power amp, as saving space and portability is important.

Dirtstyler: Can you tell me more about the EHX Magnum .44? I read about that and thought that might be a great way to just use for a small speaker to get feedback....but.

Paults: I'll check out the DXR8 as an alternative to the EHX Magnum .44 and a small single speaker. Looks cool.

Raoul23: You say you have no problem getting feedback without a stage monitor? How does that work? I thought feedback was directly related to having the pickups and speaker creating a feedback loop. Enlighten me as I will be solely monitoring myself via IEMs and going direct to FOH, so the idea of getting a speaker on stage for me is only for the sake of getting feedback, not for hearing anything.

I use a JCM800 profile with a tube screamer in front from the TAF Marshall pack so not a mega high gain profile and holding a note and getting sustain or feedback with IEMs has never really been an issue. I mostly play pubs and we use a Yamaha DXR PA. 2 DSR subs each side and 1 DXR10 on top each side. I can hold a note and it will last quite a long time, I'm not sure it would last as long as Gary Moore holding his famous Parisienne walkways note (Hope I've spelt that right) maybe give it a go live before you rush in and buy a speaker for on stage sound. I think you will be surprised how well you can get feedback

• Dirtstyler: Can you tell me more about the EHX Magnum .44? I read about that and thought that might be a great way to just use for a small speaker to get feedback....but.

It works surprisingly well for what I need it for. I won't say that it's the best option out there but for the price, if you already have cabs, it's pretty good. I can have good feedback from it and it sound like an amp in the room, I mainly use DI Cieratone /Friedman /JTM profiles with it because it suits the style of our jams and it sounds killer!

As others have already stated, FRFR is (IMHO) the way to go for optimal result but I can't say that I dislike the sound I can get through a real cab from such a cheap piece of gear that is the .44 Magnum. I bought it just to check it out thinking I would bring it back to the shop within 7 days and put the in-store credit on another expression pedal... it never happened. :D

D.

• The main benefit of the powered Kemper is the additional output option it gives you. But to me, the charm of the Profiler has always been its ability to mimic different amps. Going through a cabinet can't give you that experience.

I would save the money and use it toward a CLR or a DXR, or maybe a DSR speaker. I've heard people having good experiences with the Line 6 L3T speakers as well.

• Why you say so? With a powered unit you can use passive linear cabs as well. The Ambrosi natively gives you the possibility to use even a linear and a guitar cab at the same time with he Profiler. Many users love to use both kinds of cabs at the same time.

:)

• Why you say so? With a powered unit you can use passive linear cabs as well. The Ambrosi natively gives you the possibility to use even a linear and a guitar cab at the same time with he Profiler. Many users love to use both kinds of cabs at the same time.

:)

True, if you like pants flapping, I'm sure that a solution like the Ambrosi Amps module you have worked on would be the greatest thing since sliced bread! And it's only a fraction of the cost of the factory included power amp and in stereo ^^

• True, if you like pants flapping, I'm sure that a solution like the Ambrosi Amps module you have worked on would be the greatest thing since sliced bread! And it's only a fraction of the cost of the factory included power amp and in stereo ^^

LOL

You wrote "The main benefit of the powered Kemper is the additional output option it gives you. But to me, the charm of the Profiler has always been its ability to mimic different amps. Going through a cabinet can't give you that experience."
    My point is that you can use a powered (no matter how) Profiler to drive a passive linear cab, so conceptually giving you the same experience than using a passive Profiler and an active, linear cab like a CLR (you could even use a passive CLR).
    A powered Profiler gives the user the advantage (over a passive unit coupled with an active cab) of being able to drive a traditional guitar cab as well. Not that everyone is interested in this, but it seems important for a good number of Profiler users :)

As a side note, I was referring to the option of using a combination of a linear cab and a traditional guitar cab, that has been mentioned on this board a number of times. Apparently, there are users who look for a FR response and at the same time want the "feeling" of a guitar cab. Not that I'd agree with this, since of course the latter would interfere with the former.
    Hope this clarifies my thoughts :)

Yep, this sounds like Gianfranco ... 8)

8o

Hey Zap, I'm not sure where you're getting the inspiration for depicting me in this manner, but I have to tell you you're dead wrong :)
    Are you by any chance confusing me with donbarzini? :D
    Italians cab be quite different from each other, as people from the US can be ^^