Another one on the verge

• Hello all, figured I may as well post an introduction despite not owning a unit. I'll be putting an order for one over the next week or so before long, that is if I can finally decide on color choice and which form factor I wanna shoot for! I was going to pick up a white unit, after putting the choice of a rack unit to the side, that is until I started seeing the unveiling of the new floor footswitch unit.... Kemper's making it difficult for me X(

Bedroom guitarist essentially, currently in the middle of planning a desk build (which I hope to share the build process with everyone). Writing an album and in my free time I do video game covers usually posted onto my youtube channel: redoubt9000
    Spent many years mixing my own material in addition to those covers, I'd probably say that I've spent more hours in learning what I can about mixing, than I have actually playing the guitar :wacko:
    Never bothered to own a decent amp due to lack of space/isolation, so I've only worked with amp sims apart from an old practice SS amp. Kemper's gonna be the gamechanger for me I imagine, chasing decent mixes with mouse clicks just doesn't do it for me anymore (read: I'm sick of it lol)

Now just trying to decide whether or not I should just put out a little more for the poweramp unit instead. No gigging on my end so it's primarily for self-indulgence and recording, so perhaps the built-in poweramp is a bit of a push...

Hope to participate more in the community once I've finally gotten kneedeep into the KPA craze, I know I've been looking at this unit for long enough X/

• Hey Redoubt, welcome on the forum :)

Some random things to keep in mind:

If you're going to keep your unit at home, the form factor is more a visual thing. If you ever take it out, I find the Lunchbox format to be more practical, unless you already have a rack to carry :)

The rack format can't be empowered aftermarket, while the lunchbox can. You'd save a huge amount of money by doing so.
    A powered Profiler can be used with any sort of cabs, be it linear or not, active or passive. OTOH, a passive unit needs to be connected to HPs, to a PA, a mixer or active cab(s).
    Basically, you should decide which direction to take, or how much open to future decisions and versatile you want your system to be :)

As regards switching rigs, you can start with a simple and cheap 2-button pedal :)

• Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@viabcroce

Aaaah now the dilemma... If I were to get a guitar cab for the 'in-the-room' sound for the sake of kicks or for whenever I bring it out of the house... the power amp section would certainly be a plus. Since I've studio monitors I'm kinda frowning on the additional cost of a PA/FRFR system if I'm away. A used cab on the other hand... :D

I'm curious though, is one able to run the s/pdif in/outs in addition to a guitar cab through the power section?
    My intention was to capture both the DI & profiled tone to my interface through s/pdif, since I doubt the converters on my saffire pro are up to par, at the very least I can skip a stage of conversion. But if I can also run an out to a cab while simultaneously using the spdif in/outs, that would be an even bigger plus imo... Is it possible?

• Welcome to the forums! I might suggest waiting a bit longer though, I believe there will be bundles of the Kemper plus the new Remote controller and you may save a few $ by doing so.

As far as a powered Kemper, it makes sense to get one if you have the dough. But I don't miss it and I always have the option of installing one in the space at the back of my toaster if I want, which is great.

Still, FRFR is the way to get the best out of the Kemper, imho. ^^

• Welcome to the forums! I might suggest waiting a bit longer though, I believe there will be bundles of the Kemper plus the new Remote controller and you may save a few $ by doing so.

Aaaah bummer.... just how much talk has there been of additional savings for potential bundles (edit: just read pricing tba). I'm talking a pretty good deal on the profiler atm, close to the original pricing it was released at, although the powered kemper would likely be a different story and may be worth waiting on a bundled deal if I go the powered route.

Playing guitar feels more like a chore nowadays and I've narrowed it down to the fact I always catch myself tweaking the sound of simulations at every turn, than I do just sitting down and playing. I know my biggest concerns have always revolved around tone and sound for the context of my mixes, and the idea of well captured profiles by experienced engineers is teasing me a great deal lol Although I have had a pretty bad streak here lately on waiting for good deals and sales on account of jumping the gun X/

• Aaaah bummer.... just how much talk has there been of additional savings for potential bundles (edit: just read pricing tba). I'm talking a pretty good deal on the profiler atm, close to the original pricing it was released at, although the powered kemper would likely be a different story and may be worth waiting on a bundled deal if I go the powered route.

Playing guitar feels more like a chore nowadays and I've narrowed it down to the fact I always catch myself tweaking the sound of simulations at every turn, than I do just sitting down and playing. I know my biggest concerns have always revolved around tone and sound for the context of my mixes, and the idea of well captured profiles by experienced engineers is teasing me a great deal lol Although I have had a pretty bad streak here lately on waiting for good deals and sales on account of jumping the gun X/

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the good news is I think bundled pricing is already available, based on some quotes I've seen from users.

Even if you don't get the Remote now, don't let that deter you from getting a Kemper. It really is the simplest solution for tone in my book. I find myself tweaking less with good profiles and focusing on learning new things on the guitar and recording.

• I got the Lunchbox and like it's portability since I'm not currently using a rackmount outside the studio.
    I'm using an ISP Stealth for power to a 2x12 cabinet and it's pretty powerful but some complain it's just not enough to compete with a band. Differences of opinions on that. The KPA's power amp is VERY powerful. So no problem there. In fact, some turned it up so high they fried their cabinets! So beware of overdoing it.

At least you're asking questions now so you aren't disappointed later. Smart!!

Anyways, a warm Welcome now and a welcome later when you take the dive!

• Yeah I'm thinking the unpowered route may be preferred. I don't necessarily need to power a cab atm. Not to mention, I doubt I can get a powerhead or powerrack for much less than the 2.7k$ price tag, given that it released at that street price, unlike the unpowered version.

FRFRs appear to be a different monster compared to regular PAs. Do keyboard loudspeakers/amps also qualify as an FRFR system? The Atomic CLR seem to get quite a bit of love (Any alternatives that others have come to prefer?), and it seems within my price range should I forgo getting the powered kemper.

• It depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to play out a Studio Monitor that works.

I use a Mackie MR8, but I don't think it'll hang with a drummer. Maybe two of them would, but they don't have covers so there is the problem safe-guarding them while transporting them.

• Yeah I'm thinking the unpowered route may be preferred. I don't necessarily need to power a cab atm. Not to mention, I doubt I can get a powerhead or powerrack for much less than the 2.7k$ price tag, given that it released at that street price, unlike the unpowered version.

FRFRs appear to be a different monster compared to regular PAs. Do keyboard loudspeakers/amps also qualify as an FRFR system? The Atomic CLR seem to get quite a bit of love (Any alternatives that others have come to prefer?), and it seems within my price range should I forgo getting the powered kemper.

Yamaha DXR10's are very popular Ingolf as both and reckon the DXR's sound very close to the CLR plus the DXR's are cheaper :thumbup: