Kemper Remote Connection to Player

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Player

Now I don't know if this is technically even possible. In light of possibly upcoming updates I was wondering if there was a way to allow the Kemper Remote being connected to the Player to access all of its functions.

I would assume that somekind of break out box would be needed that would connect to the usb of the Player and on the other side has an ethercon connector to feed the Player. And this box probably would also need a power in to power the remote.

For me personally this would elevate the Player from a usefull but limited unit to my jack of all trades unit.

EDIT: And to step ahead of the "use a stage" comments. The stage is a great standalone solution. And If I want a all in one unit, then the Stage is perfect.

BUT it is not the kind of jack of all trades I have in mind. I can have the player on my desk for practicing, recording etc and the remote on the floor for controlling. The Stage on the table is unpractical. I can put the Player in my gigbag for cases where I only need the smalest of units. The stage is fixed in size. Practical, yes, but still doesnt fit into a gigbag/ guitar case. I could put the player into a rackdrawer with other pedals/effects and still access it via remote. For the "put in rack solution" the stage also doesn't work.

Thats why I'd like to have the Remote and Player work together. And I'd prefer the Remote over other MIDI controllers because it works great with the normal Kemper and I don't have to do any MIDI programming.

Edited once, last by Steeldom (September 27, 2024 at 9:43 AM).

• But the Remote doesn’t have a usb connection. Npt sure how you would convert ethernet to USB

Ethernet can run over USB - in the same way that Audio and MIDI can - these are all just streams of digital data - but Kemper might need to build their own hardware and software stack to manage the connection rather than buy a standard part off the rack.

• Being able to use the remote as a controller for the player would be wonderful. Almost a no-brainer: keeping control within the Kemper ecosystem, avoiding external midi switches with their occasional compatibility issues, the excellent looper interface of the remote, the tuner, multiple expression pedals, etc. Main challenges would be to power the remote and provide a proper usb/ethernet bridge as discussed. Fully support this suggestion, hope Kemper can/will make it work.

Edited 2 times, last by Jasperidosio (September 29, 2024 at 12:38 AM).

• No-brainer is a massive understatement! The fact that the player is not directly compatible with the remote is either preposterously stupid or insidiously planned. They are not stupid, so... It seems the remote is a thorn in the side of Kemper when it comes to the player. The player plus remote screws up the business roadmap. It is highly likely that Kemper made the conscious decision to make them incompatible. As it now stands I will never purchase a player, but I probably would if it was compatible with my remote.

Edited once, last by lbieber (September 29, 2024 at 4:57 PM).

• Data is one thing , power is another. Remote uses PoE, so power would have to be supplied externally. I think there should be no technical issues if remote was connected to PoE switch and could be discovered by Player in local network. It would be actually super cool!

I'd love to have it!

• Being that the player was designed with simple setups and pedalboards in mind, I seriously doubt the lack of remote connection was an insidious plan. Using the remote to control a player simply makes no sense from a live setup perspective. Unless you're planning on racking the player with a bunch of other stuff, at which point the player is not the right tool to begin with. The whole point of the player is to get your rigs in a compact space on stage. The remote takes up three times as much space. What would be the purpose? Seriously asking.

• A lof of us already have remote - would be great to have ability to reuse it in some settings.

Thats where I'm curious. The whole reason I got the player was to reduce my load and leave the toaster and remote at home. If the screen and buttons were things that I could not do without, I would have gotten the stage instead. Still lighten the load but not as much while keeping all the flash. But I understand wanting to save the $600 over a stage when the remote already has that. I think what I would have done in that position would be instead of getting a player, I would have sold the remote and gotten the stage, using that live and at home to control the toaster via midi when needed. IDK. It just seems like taking something designed for ease and making it more complicated.

• I can do without display and buttons - so I agree with you that this is "nice to have" category for people who are in the ecosystem for longer time. I see it more like: work comfortably at home / rehearsals and have grab-and-go small unit for gigs. It reminds me a bit of Allen&Heath everything I/O concept which I love: you can have no matter how modern mixer but you can connect pretty much any old stage box to it and reuse what you already bought. They just support all connectivity protocols in all their mixers.

• Preposterous to think it was intentional.

Kemper isn’t looking for existing users with the Player. I mean - duh.

To include another, dedicated jack would increase the size - and someone would cry foul if it wasn’t ethercon.

Silly. Especially given Kemper’s 13 years of behavior to the contrary. People who’ve claimed or demonstrated being ‘Kemper Faithful’ *instantly* going to conspiracy theories because a company did something they don’t like.

• To include another, dedicated jack would increase the size - and someone would cry foul if it wasn’t ethercon.

Not necessarily, I strongly believe that this would be done wirelessly with help of PoE hardware. Granted it would not be as convenient as direct plug & play and I wouldn't want to take rack of network equipment with me to a gig, but for fixed studio / home setups it could be perfect.

I secretly do believe that Player could do it from technical stand point - it is just somewhere at the bottom of their priority list because it is rather non-mainstream use-case.

• See my initial post

Yeah I see your situation. I just figured if you have a remote, its because you have a toaster or rack and those would be what you would have at the desk, not a player. That's where I'm at now. Toaster for desk and player for travel. But if you're to use the player at the desk it makes sense.

• Yeah I see your situation. I just figured if you have a remote, its because you have a toaster or rack and those would be what you would have at the desk, not a player. That's where I'm at now. Toaster for desk and player for travel. But if you're to use the player at the desk it makes sense.

As it stands, imo the player is only a subpar spare for live situations. Even with the level 3 upgrade it can at most help out to not go to zero IF your main unit ever breaks down.

With access to the remote the player would be elevated to a top backup solution aside from its many other uses. At home you can use the full power of the kemper at a lower price which is nice and live, with the remote, it could be an adequate backup for a big kemper unit.

Of course then the question would be "why buy a big kemper then?" And the answer is:

1. Better control interface

2. More I.o.

3. Profiling.

As of now that would be another 300-400€ for a full kemper from a player with this added functionality. And for many that would be worth it and others would stay with the player.

Player plus remote is more expensive than a stage, so for all in one people the stage would be the go to.

Players would have loads of great options.

But unless I can access the added level 2 and three features with the remote I'm actually not sure I really need the upgrade.

• Preposterous to think it was intentional.

Kemper isn’t looking for existing users with the Player. I mean - duh.

To include another, dedicated jack would increase the size - and someone would cry foul if it wasn’t ethercon.

Silly. Especially given Kemper’s 13 years of behavior to the contrary. People who’ve claimed or demonstrated being ‘Kemper Faithful’ *instantly* going to conspiracy theories because a company did something they don’t like.

No, it's preposterous to think it wasn't intentional. Kemper has ONE dedicated foot controller and they didn't let it work with the player. Are you suggesting that they never considered allowing it to be used with the player? This is stupidly obvious.

There are plenty of existing users who bought a player. I don't know what you are talking about. Duh right back at ya. ;)

I am sure size was a consideration, but did not need to be a show stopper from a physical standpoint.

I never claimed and I am not Kemper 'faithful'. I have plenty of criticisms regarding Kemper products. So, I don't know who you are speaking to.

And it's not that they did something I don't like. It's that they purposefully did not make the remote and player compatible. It is simply a factual observation. Not a conspiracy theory. Only the blindly faithful would attempt to justify this dumb decision from a technical point of view.