Helix users - unlinked sound for FOW and on stage monitor

• Just had a new guitarist join my band and he has a Helix.

We were talking about connections and he is using a headrush for on stage monitoring.

I was explaining that I can run my volumes a separately - consistent signal FOH and manage my on stage sound entirely independently and therefore he can preset the FOH output and adjust the on stage volume to taste using the Helix volume control. However, he told me that it can't do this via the XLR outputs - that sounded odd to me, can anyone counter this or confirm?

Is this because I have a powered KPA version and therefore for non powered you would manage the volume through the Headrush if using, say, a Stage?

Hope that makes sense...

• Even with the Stage I use Monitor out volume (Phisical volume on the Monitor depending on the venue) without changing the level going to FOH. Maybe is a limitation of the Helix?

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Is this because I have a powered KPA version and therefore for non powered you would manage the volume through the Headrush if using, say, a Stage?

I've got a Kemper Stage/BAM200/Kone. I don't play with volume separetly cause we only have one button to control two volumes...

C.Kemper said that to obtain the best headroom you have to push the amp gain/volume. So i did so and dicrease Kemper's volume.

If i go to FOH, i think i'll provide the same level...

With a Headrush, i would manage the volume through the Headrush as you purpose.

The way to have seperate volume per output is too much complicated with the Helix.

There's a general volume and/or a separate headphone volume (it would be possible to go out from this one dunno).

Or, You would have to create a split at the end of you chain (that reduces the number of blocks) and select one output 1/4" and the other XLR. After that you could change the dB level per output. But this for ONE preset. You have to change all the values in all the presets you would be able to use during your gig....You can become crazy ! :wacko::thumbdown:

• The way to have seperate volume per output is too much complicated with the Helix.

There's a general volume and/or a separate headphone volume (it would be possible to go out from this one dunno).

Or, You would have to create a split at the end of you chain (that reduces the number of blocks) and select one output 1/4" and the other XLR. After that you could change the dB level per output. But this for ONE preset. You have to change all the values in all the presets you would be able to use during your gig....You can become crazy ! :wacko::thumbdown:

Wow...I was surprised and its a big omission IMO, although as mentioned probably less of a concern with unpowered units.

Thanks for the confirmation.

• Not so much.

No PowerHelix exists.

When i had the LT, i've never missed something at this point.

There's always a volume on different devices though the FRFR speaker or the mix table.

I had a Line6 powercab+ and it could provides what you mean. There's an XLR output you can send directly to the FOH from the cab (with a mic'ed sim).

I could increase the PC+ volume with no incidence on the Volume send to the FOH....

• Yeah I get it.

Its quite a fundamental point for me and one of the reasons why I run a powered Kemper. I like to be able to control my volume from my Kemper or where its easily accessible. On the powered Kabinet it even has the volume on the front. Conceptually you should generally mange the volume with the power amp and not the "pre-amp".

A powered wedge has it on the back, so the process is, turn up the volume, play, crouch back down to reach round to the volume and play again because your ear is next to the speaker and you can't judge...repeat. Need to adjust mid gig, same again.

Its non sensical to me because the feed to the FOH should remain constant. Once set, you should never need to adjust...

Anyway, just surprised it doesn't have it when it has the sophisticated routing etc..

• Its non sensical to me because the feed to the FOH should remain constant. Once set, you should never need to adjust...

That's why I use the front Volume Knob only for the monitor out and not for the Main Out, just need to unlink them and select Monitor out. At soundcheck I use anyway the iPad to adjust what goes to FOH

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:)

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:)

That's very useful.

Sent it to our other guitarist.