Operating System Beta Versions - solved!

• of course there is no advantage when having a lag (in general). the lag is just a fact of life in this case. but i disagree on "terrible, seriously" so far - unless somebody can give me a specific situation where the lag qualifies for "terrible, seriously". "a bit distracting" i can relate to easily.
    as for the missing benefit i disagree. a smaller gap (in audio) is an advantage.

It's good to know that it isn't a bug. I was ok with the speed the visuals and audio were changing in version 3.3.0, if you want some reference. But if that 3.30 speed in visuals require bigger gap in audio than in 3.3.0, then I favour the faster audio before the visuals.

• of course there is no advantage when having a lag (in general). the lag is just a fact of life in this case. but i disagree on "terrible, seriously" so far - unless somebody can give me a specific situation where the lag qualifies for "terrible, seriously". "a bit distracting" i can relate to easily.
    as for the missing benefit i disagree. a smaller gap (in audio) is an advantage.

When it affects a live performance, then the lag is terrible. It affects my live performance. The fact that the lag introduces uncertainty onstage causing me to second guess my changes (partly due to me having UK size 12 feet (Euro 46 1/3?) and fairly occasionally hitting the I-IV buttons simultaneously with the intended slot button, partly due to certain songs that require fast changes) and have me thinking about a technical issue, rather than just concentrating on the groove and the musicians around me is enough for me to weigh up the advantages of morphing against a seamless, confident performance and determine that the performance is more important and go back to 3.3.0 should tell you that it seriously is terrible. I love morphing, I love the delays now being multiple and not restricted to the delay slot, these are major improvements. But against the lag, they aren't important enough to warrant the upgrade. Surely that's enough?

Edit: let me put it another way, to take any confusion that might arise from my use of adjectives out of the equation. For me, it is unacceptable. If this is the standard going forward, then my Remote just became redundant. Is there no compromise? Could you not at least investigate having the LEDs update more in line with the audio, if the whole display update is too bandwidth hungry? The display could follow as soon as bandwidth allows, but some visual confirmation at or around the time of change is vital for me. @G String

Edited 6 times, last by sambrox (July 13, 2016 at 8:02 AM).

• The first part of this video shows the lag, for anyone not owning the Remote. Bear in mind that on 3.3.0 there was no significant lag at all.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sorry for the new post, but editing a long post on iOS is very tedious. Another reason that the lag is annoying for me is that it sometimes means I have to press a slot switch twice, just to make sure. For those in my boat that trigger morphing using a second press of the slot switch would of course sail into problems here, too.

• @sambrox As you are back to 3.3.0. May I ask you to post a video based on the same data and steps in order to demonstrate the difference. Thanks in advance!

Sure, I'll post it when I get home tonight. I'm not always on 3.3.0 by the way, only when I play live with specific bands that need lots of slot changes. I really love morphing and wish I could get away with just using that function instead of slot changes with the bands in question, but alas, there are too many changes required.

• @sambrox As you are back to 3.3.0. May I ask you to post a video based on the same data and steps in order to demonstrate the difference. Thanks in advance!

Okay, the difference I'm talking about is a split second, of course, but in a live situation, it makes all the difference. Here's 3.3.0 :

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Quite strange that the lag is greater in this video when switching from slot 3 to slot 2. Apart from the two different profiles used, the only difference between the two slots is a Pure a booster in X.

• @Burkhard
    FW 4.0.2 video slot change durations :
    0.478 seconds, 0.479s, 0.780s, 0.539s, 0.483s, 0.578s, 0.496s

FW 3.3.0 video slot change durations :
    0.386 seconds, 0.360s, 0.686s, 0.316s, 0.315s, 0.479s (though this one I double stomped), 0.373s, 0.407s, 0.358s, 0.364s, 0.366s, 0.521s

As you can see, it is a matter of split seconds, but makes all the difference once one starts to see a lag approaching half a second.

[Blocked Image: http://i67.tinypic.com/2lafwu8.png]

• Thanks for the videos. I was reserved about updating, because of the lag. Now i have seen that this "lag" is totally acceptable for me. I didn't really notice any big differences comparing the videos. Quick audio switching is more important than visual, especially on stage imho.

• Thanks for the videos. I was reserved about updating, because of the lag. Now i have seen that this "lag" is totally acceptable for me. I didn't really notice any big differences comparing the videos. Quick audio switching is more important than visual, especially on stage imho.

For me it's not so comfortable but also acceptable.
    In the 90'ies I worked a lot in the field of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition, short SCADA in the steel industy.
    The lag between action and visualisizing of the action was always a big discussion with the operators which was familiar with the quasi analog technics as they had before.
    In this time we had sometimes a lag up to 2 seconds. Later it was reduced to 1 second due progress in the cpu power and net systems .
    With this lag-time complex processes could be controlled.
    For a musician there is a difference we are trained to react im ms, so I understand the uncomfortable feeling. It needs time to get used for this.
    As former technician I can imagine that there is not so much possibility for improvement in this matter with the existing hardware anymore.

If there would be a good editor a lot of visualisation function could be outsourced to save CPU-Power for the real application. I mean playing and not tweaking and profiling.

• WHY cant we just have it work right? wouldn't switching be more important then efx and morphing?,, I am close to 3 grand into this rig, I would hope it would switch instantly!
    cant we just get THAT working first? what good is everything else it it wont switch rigs instantly,, PLEASE fix this its been half a year almost,,, I love kemper but really ,, FIX THE LAG,,,,,,
    why should I get used to faulty software??

please??????????????????

• Thanks, that's what I thought. And people are aware, that this is about the Remote's display not about the sound. Sound switching in Performance Mode is faster now than ever before.

Sound switching hasn't been a problem since the first firmware after the introduction of the Remote. For me, it's as fast as the fastest switching I've ever encountered in a unit, certainly as fast as my old Marshall 6100. The display lag is really off-putting for me, though. 3.3.0 was bearable, but the extra 0.1 second (on average) makes it very uncomfortable for me live. Switching on the Remote has always been a bit of a sticky point for me, as I have large feet (I voted for the bigger version ;) ), so I was already a little uneasy about whether I'd hit the right switch or not. I think this just might make me sell my Remote and buy something with a larger (and therefore easier for me) footprint. The looper never gets used any way, and now morphing is available, the Stomp switches are fairly redundant.