Power Amps and / or Cabs

• Hello Everyone

Just wondering what kind of power amps and / or powered cabs are you folks using with the Kemper ?

Right now I'm just using the Kemper for Home Recording. But a friend and I are working on a Casual Event / Wedding / Small club type band
    of easy Folk / Light Rock / Blues / Instrumental type stuff and I"m looking for a good quality setup, that will be rather modest on the wallet
    but portable. I won't need tons of headroom, but enough to not need to be miked, if that happens to be the case.

I've looking into the ART SLA 1 or 2 / ISP Stealth / Rocktron Velocity / Tech 21 Power Engine. I know the Atomic stuff
    is highly regarded, but it is a little pricey. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions or experience with these ? Or suggestions on
    other things I should look at ?

I have an old Dean Markley cab with a Celestion speaker, and also and extra EVM 12L, which is my favorite speaker, that I could put
    in that cab instead...........however I keep reading about the FRFR speakers. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject ?

I was hoping to keep it small, like the ISP, but I don't want that to be the only deciding factor. Same for the Tech 21, one piece easy
    solution, but maybe there are better options. :/

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions are always welcome and much appreciated, as per usual !

Mr Giggles :P

• If you want the widest variety of sounds, FRFR is the way to go.

I have to agree. I currently am using a Tech 21 Power Engine for my onstage monitor and I am very happy with it. However, I was just loaned a QSC K10 and K12 so I could A/B against the Tech 21. So far, I have only played the K10 for about 15 minutes just to confirm I had it set up correctly but the difference is definitely tangible and the increase in clarity is dramatic. To be fair, it also increases negatives like RFI and other noise that comes through the guitars pickups but so be it - my house is an electric guitarists nightmare.

• I've tried the Tech 21 60watt, Crate powerblock and now have an ISP Stealth that was too good to pass up. I've used in ears and FRFR monitors and would say the same as the last two guys. The FRFR is lovely....especially with the additional feature of pure cab. Before that I always liked the sound of the cab and found that combining the cab and the FRFR was pretty good sounding. The ease of an ear piece your guitar and Kemper is very nice as well. The FRFR just seems to have the all in one benefit. Also, if you get somewhere and their PA system sucks you can use your FRFR to help. It would be sonically pleasing to me personally to capture the FRFR and the cabinet in some scenario. If I had to choose one - FRFR. Keep in mind that you can still get a powered amp and run it into a passive FRFR monitor. This allows you to have all the options...cab, monitor, ear etc...

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Go FRFR is my advice, especially if you use an acoustic for the folk music. That Dean cab will never be quite right for that IMHO. The Yamaha is one of the best if it fits in your budget, the EV ZLX12P is also a less expensive option that served me well for over a year.

• Hello All

Once again, thanks to everyone for all their input and suggestions.

To INGOLF ......... I watched your 2 Video's with the Matrix and Yamaha. I think the Yamaha definitely stands
    on it's own, especially for the big price difference. Funny thing is, I also watched a 3rd Video you did using
    the Power / Speaker of a Fender Mustang III. I actually thought, as you did, that it sounded pretty good. I
    was surprised.

I've used it on a couple of little gigs and was trying to decide on whether to keep using or just use the Kemper
    even for the smaller gigs I mentioned above. Got one of those coming up, so I might just try the Kemper thru
    the Mustang for a quick solution, until I decide which of the above units to buy. The Yamaha / EV / Alto all
    sounded pretty on some demos I heard.

Thanks again

Mr Giggles

• Hello All

Once again, thanks to everyone for all their input and suggestions.

To INGOLF ......... I watched your 2 Video's with the Matrix and Yamaha. I think the Yamaha definitely stands
    on it's own, especially for the big price difference. Funny thing is, I also watched a 3rd Video you did using
    the Power / Speaker of a Fender Mustang III. I actually thought, as you did, that it sounded pretty good. I
    was surprised.

Where are these videos? Thanks.

• Where are these videos? Thanks.

Here you are:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sorry - I wrote that before I got to the end where you said you think the CLR wins...

Did I? My personal, more differentiated opinion is that the CLR has a clarity foremost in the midrange that the DXR can't achieve. OTOH, on quite a lot of busy un- treated stages, the DXR's light mid pronounciation is most welcome and often very helpful.
    I almost exclusively gig with the DXR.

• I also have the DXR10 and the CLR. The CLR sounds flatter to me, the DXR is more fun playing - so I use the DXR all the time.
    Sometimes if I want to move some air I use a Freyette Power Station... but Pure Cab really lets the Power Station collect dust.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• I used my Power rack ( with the build in amp) with a Bogner 2x12 os cabinet for two years and locked the main output cab sims to one that came as close to the Bogner cab as possible.
    Sounded not to bad with Celestion V30's, after that I tried the same cab with Celestion Classic 80's , they sounded better with the Kemper-guitarcab to me.
    After that I used a Bogner 1x12 cab with a single Classic 80 speaker, and since a few weeks I don't use the build in amp anymore because I bought me two Yamaha DXR10's, after watching Ingolf's youtube vid also and I'm very happy with the sound I have now :)