Clean Compensation in OS 11

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question but in the OS 11 addendum is says;

'whenever amplifier gain is turned down towards a clean sound. This reduces the need for re-levelling clean sounds for a live performance. The amplifier’s volume is simply increased'

With the clean compensation set to 10, when I reduce the gain the sound level reduces and doesn't appear to be compensated for. I have used generic and liquid profiles (although it says not to). Is the amp volume knob supposed to move and increase the volume of the amp when the gain is reduced. If so, there is no movement in the amp gain.

Have I got this entirely wrong?

Cheers Jon

• You have answered your own question. On 10 the clean compensation is none, on zero full. Sometimes you have to turn knobs to find out how the convention is.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Thanks for the reply. I did check the knobs (I'm not an idiot). In the addendum it says the exact opposite of what you are advising. This is lifted from the addendum

'When Clean Compensation is set to maximum, the natural loss of volume of the amp PROFILE is compensated as the amp gain is dialled towards clean sounds. Amp volume is simply increased with decreasing gain settings, without further coloration of the sound. This reduces the need to re-level clean sounds for live performances. Most PROFILEs have Clean Compensation set to maximum.

By reducing Clean Compensation, you can lower the compensation to zero to achieve a natural gain behaviour. This is recommended when using a distortion effect in front of an amp, and you’re aiming for that classic boost effect when engaging the distortion.'

Unless of course I am an idiot. Anyhow it has no effect on level either at 0 or Full. Jon

• Clean compensation

adjusts how much, as the gain is reduced, a volume compensation occurs, which ensures that the volume is not reduced together with the gain. With a value of 10 the volume always remains the same, with a value of 0 it becomes much lower.

No knob will move, because what changes is the relationship between volume and gain as the latter varies and not the volume of the amp section or rig

The beauty is the ability to adjust it for each rig.

In fact, certain amplifiers, particularly single-channel ones without master vol. they increase and reduce the volume greatly as the gain varies, so if we want the profiles of these amps to behave like the originals, the compensation must be reduced.

Edited once, last by archverb (May 11, 2024 at 1:40 AM).

• Hi archverb. Thanks for the reply. What you’ve said clarifies the moving knob issue but, as I said in my original post, setting the clean compensation knob to any value has no compensation effect. So when I reduce the amp gain the level out of my rig gets quieter and quieter. This remains the same irrespective of the clean comp setting. Cheers. Jon.

• That works by guitar volume clean up or when switching on/off dirt in front of the amp block. When you reduce gain from the amp, then volume goes naturally down

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Hi archverb. Thanks for the reply. What you’ve said clarifies the moving knob issue but, as I said in my original post, setting the clean compensation knob to any value has no compensation effect. So when I reduce the amp gain the level out of my rig gets quieter and quieter. This remains the same irrespective of the clean comp setting. Cheers. Jon.

Hi Jon

This is because the profile you tested was originally low gain.

You could try setting clean compensation to 10 and using a original high gain profile.

Compensation occurs only by lowering the Gain of a starting high gain profile

• This new parameter sounds a lot like the compression parameter in the amp block. Does clean compensation now replace the compression function or do they work together?

I'm having issues updating my toaster so I'm not able to experiment with the new features

Thanks,

Paul

• Huuuh, great stuff,

a good idea, to give it a parameter.

At that point I always felt the KPA to be a little unnatural.

I am a a little old-schooled (and of course lazy) and i like to switch between

rhythm and lead just by turning up the volume knob.

Looking forward for OS11 and many thanks and respect for the KPA team

for supporting and still enhancing this "old" device. Bought my toaster in 2014 !

Best regards

Bernhard

Jam it ! 8o

• I’m old school with the guitar volume too which made me think about a possible way to make the Kemper even better than the real amp by giv9ng the Clean Compensation effect a +/- range like some other parameters (ducking etc). In this case not only would clean compensation remove level balancing on a rig but actually increase the volume difference between clean and dirty so than turning up the guitar not only increases the amount of distortion but actually exaggerates the level boost too. Result = Old school guitar volume trick on steroids 🤘

• I believe you understand correctly. The feature seems to be intended to mimic the way a traditional amp increases in volume as the gain is turned up. However, from my tests so far it only appears to make difference with the Amp Gain knob. I don't notice any difference in behaviour when turning the guitar volume up/down or when placing a drive/boost in front of the amp. I hope that is just an initial teething problem that will be tweaked but I don't know for sure.

What I was suggesting was simply to take the concept even further than a real amp could ever achieve and let the volume increase be even more dramatic than a real amp so that you can really exaggerate the impact.