simulating a Fender trem with a expression pedal, set as a whammy

• I have a Les Paul and, as you know, it lacks a tremolo. I also have a Boss expression pedal and I wonder if you can get Fender like dive tones using the expression pedal as a tremolo. With this I mean a kind of Whammy sounding a way up or a way down with your foot. I've tried WWAH and PPTC fx but got nowhere...

• AFAIK, no. But I did try. I think the Digi Whammy sound is the best you can get without a true whammy. Anyone who can make a true dive bomb whammy is going to be my hero.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I have a Les Paul and, as you know, it lacks a tremolo. I also have a Boss expression pedal and I wonder if you can get Fender like dive tones using the expression pedal as a tremolo. With this I mean a kind of Whammy sounding a way up or a way down with your foot. I've tried WWAH and PPTC fx but got nowhere...

the Pedal Pitch stomp is the right choice - what is not working exactly?

• I Also have a LP and I've put a Vibramate to put a Gibsby tremolo on it without drilling the top. .. but You cant do dive bombs for sure.

I Use an exp pedal to pitch in case ..

What's wrong with it?

The short answer to the Player’s question is no. No pedal can so8nd like a Fender style vibrato (trem) bar. A pedal can do some cool dive bomb effects but it will never be the real thing.

I know we are drifting off topic a bit but, i am currently build a guitar for a customer who loves the tune-o-matic string height/neck break angle like a Les Paul but also needs a crazy whammy and has always used a Kahler for over 40 years. I am having to fit a Kahler 2200 series trem on this guitar. It does require a little routing to the top (nothing on the back) and mounts directly onto T-O-M style studs. It works like a dream an can be locked into a hard tail with the turn pf a single allen screw. Rather than mess around trying to make a pedal do something it can’t, I would bite the bullet and fit a 2200 series (or the cheaper 7200 series version) to his Les Paul and have the real thing.

• I think the confusion here is dive bombs vs fender trems. Fender trems are best suited to warbles not dive bombs...yes they can do it but not very well. for dive bombs, a Floyd type trem is needed.

The Whammy effects work quite well for dive bombs/floyd effects but not really subtle tremolo effects.....and a factual correction, Tremolo is a variation in volume not pitch so its actually vibrato. Therefore you could look at the vibrato effects in the KPA depending upon what you are trying to achieve..

• Therefore you could look at the vibrato effects in the KPA depending upon what you are trying to achieve..

A vibrato effect will however change the pitch of the signal evenly, whereas a mechanical vibrato will detune each string to a different degree, which gives it a unique flavour.

A have a Les Trem II on a Yamaha SG2000 and a 339 and they are great for adding nice, smooth modulation.

• A vibrato effect will however change the pitch of the signal evenly, whereas a mechanical vibrato will detune each string to a different degree, which gives it a unique flavour.

A have a Les Trem II on a Yamaha SG2000 and a 339 and they are great for adding nice, smooth modulation.

Unless its a Steinberger TransTrem 😃

• A vibrato effect will however change the pitch of the signal evenly, whereas a mechanical vibrato will detune each string to a different degree, which gives it a unique flavour.

Agree... not going to be the same but the closest you can get without actually having a trem. The real answer is...use a trem :)

• You can do dive bombs just as easy on a Fender trem as long as you pre-stretch strings and use locking tuners.

I don't agree - otherwise Floyds would not exist.

You have Charvels so you know they are pretty different in how they operate.

So yes you can do them but they don't have the range for "real" dive bombs ( floppy strings type)..someone will mention Jeff Beck in a minute, but I wouldn't class what he does as dive bombs per se... :)

• I don't agree - otherwise Floyds would not exist.

You have Charvels so you know they are pretty different in how they operate.

So yes you can do them but they don't have the range for "real" dive bombs ( floppy strings type)..someone will mention Jeff Beck in a minute, but I wouldn't class what he does as dive bombs per se... :)

I guess I need to do a video tutorial to show you they both do dive bombs and they whammy equally. My Squire SSH Contemporary can make the strings flub just as easy as my Charvel FR. The only difference is in pull-ups, but you can do those too with a trem if you "float" it. I have 6 FR bridges and 3 of them are "blocked" to do dive only, and the other 3 float. The only thing that will limit a standard trem dive bomb is if the whammy bar is not high enough off the body for the dive. EVH first dive bombs were on a standard trem. The Floyds were developed to keep the strings in tune during heavy whammying and to allow fine tuning since the strings are locked at the nut. Plus, you need to pre-bend new strings especially on a FR. And don't forget your Nut Sauce. ;)

Edited once, last by BayouTexan (September 27, 2023 at 5:58 PM).

• here ya go but it's not me... he just needs a slightly higher bar so the strings flub out.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• And dive bomb with a 6 point trem... case closed. :)

• I guess I need to do a video tutorial to show you they both do dive bombs and they whammy equally. My Squire SSH Contemporary can make the strings flub just as easy as my Charvel FR. The only difference is in pull-ups, but you can do those too with a trem if you "float" it. I have 6 FR bridges and 3 of them are "blocked" to do dive only, and the other 3 float. The only thing that will limit a standard trem dive bomb is if the whammy bar is not high enough off the body for the dive. EVH first dive bombs were on a standard trem. The Floyds were developed to keep the strings in tune during heavy whammying and to allow fine tuning since the strings are locked at the nut. Plus, you need to pre-bend new strings especially on a FR. And don't forget your Nut Sauce. ;)

OK, I hear you...I still think there is a difference....sure you can modify to make it like a Floyd, but most strats are not set up like that. I have a musicman that is flat on the bridge witha Flody and its still way more aggressive than a Strat trem....but not worth a long debate so happy to concede.

In reality, instead of a video, I think this could be the justification to come to your studio/man pad ha! Hope that is going well BTW..

• OK, I hear you...I still think there is a difference....sure you can modify to make it like a Floyd, but most strats are not set up like that. I have a musicman that is flat on the bridge witha Flody and its still way more aggressive than a Strat trem....but not worth a long debate so happy to concede.

In reality, instead of a video, I think this could be the justification to come to your studio/man pad ha! Hope that is going well BTW..

Having a blast over here but I have that damn trigger finger surgery coming up in about 2 weeks. I plan on hanging up the acoustic panels and doing a bit more decorating during my down time. I'll post pics for sure when it's done. You are welcome over anytime! And you don't need to bring guitars or amps. :)

• Thanks BayouTexan, I could imagine too that this was not possible without a tremolo. Listen to what I mean. Am I asking a bit too much :)

(I'm sorry, this site doesn't allow me to attach a small mp3 or wave sound.)

But it's about the guitar dive solo opening in You give love a bad name (Bon Jovi).