Using the Space function with main outs or just with headphones.

• Just wondering how you guys set your space function in the output section. Do you have the Space>HeadphOnly box checked or not? I assume that if the box is not checked the space function also affects the main outs. If it is checked it only works with headphones. What is the consensus on how much of this effect do you use? Thanks!

• If you check the box, the effect isn't heard in the main outputs. That's how I use it and is how I'd recommend using it. Otherwise, you could change the sound of the profile. The effect is made to reduce ear fatigue when using headphones and give a little more dimension to the sound. The Manila explains it better than I do. But short answer, throw some headphones on and turn it up to whatever sounds good to you. But I would strongly recommend not having the effect go through the mains.

EDIT: I should have clarified, in my example above, I'm referring to not using it for live performances. I haven't used the Kemper in a home studio or recording environment yet.

Edited once, last by OhG (May 6, 2017 at 10:08 PM).

• If you're playing through studio monitors in a not-too-reflective room, I recommend leaving it on for the mains as well.

Adds a sense of much-needed space, as if it were in a half-decent-sounding room.

For recording, I recommend turning it off and using a high-quality reverb plugin, be it algorithmic or convolution-based, to add early reflections only (no reverb tail), in order to place the otherwise-anechoic-sounding Rig in some sort of believable space. Where you take it from there during mixing, whether with delays or "bigger" 'verbs, is a matter of taste and what's appropriate for the song.

Think about this: The Kemper Rig and a good-sounding convolution or algorithmically-based smattering of ER's puts you way ahead of where most of us would otherwise be, given the fact that practically none of us has the sort of pro-recording room that'd be able to compete with the balanced-and-not-boxy results attainable from even the most run-of-the-mill IR's or algorithmically-generated reflections / room sounds.

Just MHO's, of course.