Annoying frequency on ALL (???) amps physical/digital SOLVED!!!! (sort of, at least)

• ok I went back and tried de-noise and de-hum. Neither did absolutely anything.

Well, I find this hugely-disappointing, Ant.

My only real experience was with that TC one, which I used a helluva lot back in the day. I even made CDs from cassettes recorded on portable (built-in condenser mics) home units where, back in the early '70s, my grandmother had taped relatives during rare family visits. I received crappy, grimy old cassettes from South Africa for the job. I was able to remove practically all spurious acoustic noise (suburban ambience), cassette hiss and also mechanical noises incurred from the belt-drive mechanism. Same story for AM radio when I taped numerous cricket broadcasts, and so on.

I didn't try guitar tracks 'cause I hadn't recorded any instruments since '94 (still haven't!), but I well remember feeling that I'd be all over this stuff by the time I eventually did some proper recording again. I was very excited, 'cause I envisioned not having to bother with gates ever again, such was the shockingly-impressive performance of the TC noise-finger-print-based system.

Oh well. I can only hope that there's something at least as good still out there, and not for the iZotope price! Seriously man, if there is, I'd love to hear what it can do for Cederick.

• Well, if you didn't select a playing-free, noise-only section for analysis first, it wasn't a fingerprint system (or you didn't realise it was).

As I said Ant, all I can go on is my TC experience, and that was literally life-changing. I'm still staggered when I think back to what was possible even back then.

You know, forensics used this sort of thing an awful lot; many a situation requires removal of noise in order for dialogue to be intelligible. In those situations, you can imagine the sort of ambient noise (like in a factory or on the street), along with, say, a "wired" mic under clothing's rubbing noises... and wind, would have to be eliminated just to hear what's being said.

The fairly-consistent "wind-tunnel" noise, one would think, would be a walk in the park for a decent de-noiser of this ilk.

• Hey, no worries AntMan; I'll cross that bridge when I eventually come to it.

Your RX is probably the plugin suite, which as I mentioned at the very start, is, like 1/10 or 1/15th the price of the pro RX package at what, $100 or so? I've actually bought that plug suite on special last year, but haven't obviously had a need to look at it yet. My guess is that it's preset with a dialogue algorithm that reads fingerprints and simultaneously, dynamically removes noise in real time.

This is different from analysing a section of noise first and then applying the fingerprint within the algorithm, again, I'm guessing, based on the TC experience I had. With the PowerCore plug, you could get reasonable results just letting it figure it out for itself, but doing the analysis of a selected piece of noise first provided results in a different league.

• Just to update you guys on the fingerprint noise reduction issue:

There might not even be a touch of noise while not playing! The windtunnel, white noise, shhhhh effect only appears when the guitar is being played and the amp produces this effect by distorting the guitar signal. So forget about a fingerprint, there is none to be captured. This kind of noise reduction won't work. ;)

Cheers
    Martin

• Okay so you can somewhat fix it in Ozone RX Advanced. Its not perfect and extremely time consuming as you have to visually look and select the fuller areas of the sound you are looking to replace. Maybe there is an easier method but I have been messing around with it and this is what I have learned so far.

I highlighted the windtunnel. You can see the little area I repaired before it to the left.

[Blocked Image: https://snag.gy/J3nj7t.jpg]

• Wow read all these posts and it's been an emotional rollercoaster. I'd love Cedrick to post amps he's found that don't have this sound once he's found them so we can all check them out. It's turned into a pretty interesting topic.

If you as you say read the whole thread, you should have already found these clips :rolleyes:

Just to update you guys on the fingerprint noise reduction issue:

There might not even be a touch of noise while not playing! The windtunnel, white noise, shhhhh effect only appears when the guitar is being played and the amp produces this effect by distorting the guitar signal. So forget about a fingerprint, there is none to be captured. This kind of noise reduction won't work. ;)

Cheers
    Martin

Bingo :thumbup:

Okay so you can somewhat fix it in Ozone RX Advanced. Its not perfect and extremely time consuming as you have to visually look and select the fuller areas of the sound you are looking to replace. Maybe there is an easier method but I have been messing around with it and this is what I have learned so far.

I highlighted the windtunnel. You can see the little area I repaired before it to the left.

[Blocked Image: https://snag.gy/J3nj7t.jpg]

Nice, can you post audio clips with and without this plugin?

• You haven't as yet found specific amps which have been profiled and let us know which. I know you had some clips earlier of some which you said seemed to have none or less of the noise than the most ones, but I'd be interested in the profiles you decide on as being most useable.

Again the attitude is frustrating. I express interest and get back doubt that I've actually bothered reading the thread. As I said - a rollercoaster …

• So the issue with RX and changing any of the gain characteristics is you are taking away a chunk of the overall tone. Once the windtunnel is lowered the sound becomes thin. Also it exposes other issues such as a higher gain tunnel around 3k. For me again its the amp being pushed too hard on pre amp and master. Gain staging and proper saturation is very tricky and there is a reason why real studios still exist and home recordings still sound like home recordings.

• So the issue with RX and changing any of the gain characteristics is you are taking away a chunk of the overall tone. Once the windtunnel is lowered the sound becomes thin. Also it exposes other issues such as a higher gain tunnel around 3k. For me again its the amp being pushed too hard on pre amp and master. Gain staging and proper saturation is very tricky and there is a reason why real studios still exist and home recordings still sound like home recordings.

Thank you so much for trying, Ant! Oh well, at least we gave it a shot.

Ceddy, what about the Profilers I mentioned earlier - Bert, Guido and Michael? Any wind-tunnel noise going on there? You can listen to MBritt's demos on his site, and there are heaps of them for each pack.

• You haven't as yet found specific amps which have been profiled and let us know which. I know you had some clips earlier of some which you said seemed to have none or less of the noise than the most ones, but I'd be interested in the profiles you decide on as being most useable.

Again the attitude is frustrating. I express interest and get back doubt that I've actually bothered reading the thread. As I said - a rollercoaster …

JCM800 Merged

You can find it in the Rig Exchange

Thank you so much for trying, Ant! Oh well, at least we gave it a shot.
    Ceddy, what about the Profilers I mentioned earlier - Bert, Guido and Michael? Any wind-tunnel noise going on there? You can listen to MBritt's demos on his site, and there are heaps of them for each pack.

Sorry, I haven't had time. And I'm not sure I will have time today either
    But next week!

• schreckmusic made a direct profile of his Phaez amp!
    He carefully made sure the amp had little to none windtunnel noise; and he succeeded with braveur! :thumbup:

Absolutely amazing rock tone, or maybe less brutal 80s heavy metal like Dio (as you can hear in the clip)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have only tweaked the Definition, and I'm using Rosen Digital Engl 412 IRs (I thought the Marschal 1960A would sound better for this kind of old school tone, but I thought the Engl was better for some reason!)

My current collection of "windtunnel free" profiles are:

Schreckmusics Phaez
    Steveness's JCM800 Merged
    TAF Van \m/ Halen

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now I only need a couple of kickass "wind-free" Engl Savage profiles and I can stop actively looking for sounds all the time :thumbup:

• It's a delicate balance of preamp gain and master volume. This sound issue is not something I was aware of before your post Cederick. Thank you for educating me.

The amp is my latest custom Phaez AFD 18 watt. Wish I had larger more powerful heads to create better saturation. Maybe in the future.

• How exactly does picking style affect sustained noise? :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure you have understood the issue...

Also, this has nothing to do with noise gate.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already (still reading through), but over-enthusiastic palm muting can cause boomy bass sounds in the background. Lighter touch required.

EDIT: OK I've caught up and it appears to be a general amp characteristic that the Kemper is reproducing accurately. So why does it not appear in more commercial recordings? What is the recording engineer doing to dial it out?

Edited once, last by amclw1 (January 23, 2017 at 2:09 AM).