Using OwnHammer IRs in the Kemper

• Hi all,

I know that OwnHammer provides Kemper versions of their cabs. But, despite what OwnHammer claims in their READ-ME text, the names of the converted files remain too long for the KPA display. You can't actually see what cab you're loading (except that it's an OwnHammer, the details of the cab come after that). Even when I do a batch edit of the file names with the Mac's Automator program, the KPA still displays them as they were originally named.

My work around has been to rename the original .wav files and then convert them in Cab Maker. Then they display as I want them to in the KPA.

Question #1: Using Cab Maker for renaming purposes is not a big deal, but is there a more efficient way?

Question #2 OwnHammer uses the mono, 44.1k, truncated versions (.200ms vs .500ms) as their default Kemper files. Should I infer then, that I can't use/convert the non-truncated versions with a higher bit rate?

Thanks,

John

• As for your question #1, Kemper advises to not edit rigs' names through a generic file manager.
    A different, but valid approach would be to load the cab profiles onto the Profiler and then edit them (you can connect a USB keyboard to the device).
    Not sure how more practical this would be for you tho.

As for the second question, there are indeed limitations to how big an IR can be. You might just try I guess.

On a general note, keep in mind that you can take the cab from any profile you like... so not sure the IR way is worth the hassle,unless there are some cabs that you absolutely need.

:)

• Exactly how I have to rename their impulses for the same reason. I used a program called Bulk File Renamer, then convert in Cab Maker. As you say once you convert in cab maker if you try an external rename it still appears with the original name in the Kemper which you can't read due to the length.

• Yes, but re-naming the IRs inside the Profiler is pretty cumbersome. Batch editing the names before conversion seems, at this point, the more efficient approach, especially since I want to have a good amount of those OwnHammer IRs available inside the KPA. I have had some excellent results pairing them up with some of my favorite profiles. I use them extensively with my real amps via the reactive load, and they work great in that scenario as well.

Can't wait for that awesome Kemper editing software for Mac OS that will make all of these work arounds unnecessary ( :
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

• Yes, but re-naming the IRs inside the Profiler is pretty cumbersome. Batch editing the names before conversion seems, at this point, the more efficient approach, especially since I want to have a good amount of those OwnHammer IRs available inside the KPA. I have had some excellent results pairing them up with some of my favorite profiles. I use them extensively with my real amps via the reactive load, and they work great in that scenario as well.

Can't wait for that awesome Kemper editing software for Mac OS that will make all of these work arounds unnecessary ( :
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

Hi Jzuker,

I have no experience, myself, with using IR's with my KPA. However, expanding on @viabcroce (Gianfranco's) previous comments, I have read many testimonials here, and on TGP, that KPA owners have found the Kemper Cab profiles to be superior to 3rd party IR-based cabinet sims. The consensus of opinion seems to be that the KPA profiling process captures the details and contribution of the mic'd cabinet, more authentically than a traditional IR.

I am not trying to change your mind, however. It will be interesting to hear about your own findings and preferences, in this matter.

Cheers,
    John

• I would like to hear how ownhammer impulses have worked with di, merged or traditional studio profiles. I have manu excellent profiles but would love to pair some with rather different sounding cabs with one cab for live use. Also heard about Pete Thorns favourite OH impulses which woke up some sleeping GAS. Pairing KPAs internal cabs has been more or less hit and miss experience.

• You can use RM for this, it supports batch-editing as well.

Also, it could be useful to some to enforce that the Profiler supports a standard USB keyboard.

In order to be able to do this, one would first have to save each cab to a unique Rig, Gianfranco.

Still a valid method 'though.

John, renaming the wav files is what I've done too. I can't remember what it was, but I determined the character limit which precedes the appended creation date and then abbreviated each name so that it would be clearly-legible in situ. Takes a bit of work, of course...

• In order to be able to do this, one would first have to save each cab to a unique Rig, Gianfranco.

Sure. I got the issue was
    1. that the names were too long, not that they were all the same?
    2. That you can't rename them with a generic file manager because it doesn't change the encoded\embedded text strings.

What am I missing Nicky?

• The consensus of opinion seems to be that the KPA profiling process captures the details and contribution of the mic'd cabinet, more authentically than a traditional IR.

Yep. By evaluating the behaviour of the amp and of the cab at the same time while taking a profile, the Profiler can analyse how the cab's behaviour changes while the amp's output impedance changes. A convolver works differently, and - AFAIK - can't take this into account

I have manu excellent profiles but would love to pair some with rather different sounding cabs with one cab for live use.

If I'm getting you right, are you aware that you can swap cabs among profiles and you can also save a cab as a preset and reuse it at will?
    Sorry if you meant something different :)

• Yes, Gianfranco, those were the issues. And yes, in RM, the cabinet does have to be assigned to a rig in order to edit the name. But I want to name-change a bunch of the IRs prior to writing them into a rig.
    I want to be able to read the files quickly and correctly as I scroll through.

John (Tritium), I like the original cabs that were profiled, I just want the tonal options that the OwnHammer IRs give me. In some cases, I prefer the OwnHammer IRs (regardless of their authenticity), and in some cases I prefer the original profiled cabs. I initially used them (and still use them) with my real amps through a Two Notes Live and was really knocked out, so why not add them to my Kemper palette?

-John Z

• I echo what others have said here and back it up with my personal experience.

Third party IRs don't sound as good as the Cab profiles created by Kemper. I'm not sure what the reason is but eventhough third party IRs and Kemper profiles play along together, there's something realy off with the resulting tone.

• Yes, Gianfranco, those were the issues. And yes, in RM, the cabinet does have to be assigned to a rig in order to edit the name. But I want to name-change a bunch of the IRs prior to writing them into a rig.
    I want to be able to read the files quickly and correctly as I scroll through.

Ye, that would only b an intermediate passage tho. You can save cabs alone as presets and have your own collection on the Profiler.

• Yes, but you can't edit their names in RM unless you first save them to rigs. Both the OP, myself and others have needed to name batches of cabs at a time, and so far the only way to do this quickly is when they're wav files.

Sure. I got the issue was
    1. that the names were too long, not that they were all the same?
    2. That you can't rename them with a generic file manager because it doesn't change the encoded\embedded text strings.

What am I missing Nicky?

Don't know, GianBro'!

• To me the problem with IRs is that the when converting impulse responses with Cab Maker the .kipr file doesn't sound the same as the original IR. There is something lost in translation. I have stopped using IRs because of that. I wish that Kemper HQ would take another look at the Cab Maker and make the conversion more authentic.
    Btw, some time ago I asked Kevin from Ownhammer if he would be interested in making Kemper profiles. He told me that he is afraid that the market is already over saturated and also that he doesn't have a KPA, but if he had one, he would give it a try. Would Kemper be interested in Ownhammer KPA profiles @ckemper?

• To me the problem with IRs is that the when converting impulse responses with Cab Maker the .kipr file doesn't sound the same as the original IR. There is something lost in translation. I have stopped using IRs because of that. I wish that Kemper HQ would take another look at the Cab Maker and make the conversion more authentic.
    Btw, some time ago I asked Kevin from Ownhammer if he would be interested in making Kemper profiles. He told me that he is afraid that the market is already over saturated and also that he doesn't have a KPA, but if he had one, he would give it a try. Would Kemper be interested in Ownhammer KPA profiles @ckemper?

How can you tell there is a difference to the original IR? Seems impossible to A/B test to me since to use an IR you would have to use it on a different system/unit.