Why does my Reference amp keep overwriting my Kemper amp when Profiling

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Stage

Ive always had this problem when attempting to create new profiles. I choose a kemper amp in the browser. I switch to profile mode. I then dial in my reference amp i want to profile. I run the profile mode. I save the profile and change the name. The name i choose and the sound i profiled keeps reverting to the new profile. Both the name and the sound are the same for both the original amp i chose and the one i created. This has caused me to having to keep making a copy of a profile before choosing it for my next profile so i dont accidentally overwrite one i want to keep.

What am i doing wrong? there must be an easier way than this.

• Are you using RM to name your profiles? Last time I made a profile I remember having issues saving the new names. In fact, I am having issues renaming any profile with RM. I edit the name, hit enter or Replace Rig, and if I click off to another profile and come back the name has been reverted to default. Sometimes, I have to turn a module off and on after renaming to get the new name to save.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• New
    • Official Post

Ive always had this problem when attempting to create new profiles. I choose a kemper amp in the browser. I switch to profile mode. I then dial in my reference amp i want to profile. I run the profile mode. I save the profile and change the name. The name i choose and the sound i profiled keeps reverting to the new profile. Both the name and the sound are the same for both the original amp i chose and the one i created. This has caused me to having to keep making a copy of a profile before choosing it for my next profile so i dont accidentally overwrite one i want to keep.

I don't understand what you do there!? There is no need to edit any tags before you have even started to create anew PROFILE. I suspect you might edit the name of the reference Rig that you have selected from your browse pool. The Rig with the new PROFILE doesn't exist before you have finalized the PROFILING.

• Ive always had this problem when attempting to create new profiles. I choose a kemper amp in the browser. I switch to profile mode. I then dial in my reference amp i want to profile. I run the profile mode. I save the profile and change the name. The name i choose and the sound i profiled keeps reverting to the new profile. Both the name and the sound are the same for both the original amp i chose and the one i created. This has caused me to having to keep making a copy of a profile before choosing it for my next profile so i dont accidentally overwrite one i want to keep.

Profiling is for capturing the sound of a real amp external to the Kemper, not tweaking an already made profile which it sounds like you are trying to do.. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you think the Kemper is a modeler and it isn't. If you want to tweak a profile that is already made and not change the original, just right click and make a copy of it then tweak and save/replace.

• Profiling is for capturing the sound of a real amp external to the Kemper, not tweaking an already made profile which it sounds like you are trying to do.. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you think the Kemper is a modeler and it isn't. If you want to tweak a profile that is already made and not change the original, just right click and make a copy of it then tweak and save/replace.

im not tweaking a current profile. when i enter into profiler mode its defaulting to whatever prfile i was curently on in the browser. This is the kemper amp before the profiling process starts. Thats the amp you tweak the volume to before starting the profile. Is this not correct? or is there a way to bypass this part? when you set up a new profile theres always an amp youre comparing it to right? that way you can even out the volume? again maybe im missing something

• when you first enter into profile mode theres two things i can toggle between, kemper amp and reference amp. one is the real amp im pluggin in. whats the other one? where is that sound coming from? isnt that the current profile i was on before entering profiile mode?

• when you first enter into profile mode theres two things i can toggle between, kemper amp and reference amp. one is the real amp im pluggin in. whats the other one? where is that sound coming from? isnt that the current profile i was on before entering profiile mode?

Okay, so you plugged in/mic'd up and set the amp you want to profile. You then go into profile mode on the kemper and run the profile process that sends a bunch of weird signals to the amp to capture that sound. The toggle you are talking about is between your new profile and the physical amp so that you can fine tune the profile before you save it. Is this what you are doing?

• Okay, so you plugged in/mic'd up and set the amp you want to profile. You then go into profile mode on the kemper and run the profile process that sends a bunch of weird signals to the amp to capture that sound. The toggle you are talking about is between your new profile and the physical amp so that you can fine tune the profile before you save it. Is this what you are doing?

Yes but before i start the profile process, there are two different sounds when toggling between kemper amp and reference amp. One of them is the profile i was on before switching to profile mode. It is defaulting to that particular profile, and that is the profile that is being overwritten after i make the new profile. all the Tag information from that profile is showing up in the new profile as well after the whole process.

How to i profile with everything empty and starting from scratch?

I remember reading the manual and im pretty sure it stated that you are actually supposed to choose a reference profile that is similar to the new one your making in order to level out the overall output volume. If you dont do this how are you supposed to know how loud to set the Output db knob before starting the profile?

• Edit the name, author and other tags before saving the new profile.

of course. but my whole point of this thread was to see if there was another way this was supposed to be done. Seems like a huge waste of time this way. I cant see guys like tone junkie going through each of these extra steps when making thousands of profiles. i feel like im missing a step somehwere. I literally have to make a copy of a profiile before each new profile to keep from accidentally overwriting an old profile by mistake.

• I've only profiled 5 of my amps and never had this problem except on my first profile where I did not edit the name first and saved a profile with the same name as the profile I had loaded but I could tell the difference between the new and old profiles profiles by the date. I ended up with 2 profiles with the same name but different dates. The original profile was never overwritten. I'm not sure from what you have written what it is you are doing. Maybe you could video your process and we might see where the error, if any, is.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• I've only profiled 5 of my amps and never had this problem except on my first profile where I did not edit the name first and saved a profile with the same name as the profile I had loaded but I could tell the difference between the new and old profiles profiles by the date. I ended up with 2 profiles with the same name but different dates. The original profile was never overwritten. I'm not sure from what you have written what it is you are doing. Maybe you could video your process and we might see where the error, if any, is.

its weird. if i dont change the name i get two profiles with the same name but sometimes the second overwrites the first and both are the same sound and sometimes they are the two different profiles

The problem im having is that im trying to make multiple profiiles of the same amp with 99% similar tags and just change for example the gain level on each. therefore initially i was trying to choose the previously made profile and then create a new profile from that to save the hassle of having to re enter all the tag info. But eventually i figured out that the profiles were randomly getting overwritten. I dont know if this is a bug or not. Thats why im looking for clarification. I guess ill just stick with the workaround process for now.

• Profiling isn’t “overwriting’ the reference amp. The reference amp is the physical amp you are profiling. Neither is it “overwriting” the Kemper Amp Rig that automatically loaded where you switched to profiling mode.It is creating a new profile with the same name and all the same tags and placing this in the edit buffer instead of the original one.

This actually makes sense as a process and goes back to the original design of the head as a self contained unit without an editor. At that time tags were entered manually using the scroll wheel on the KPA to select characters one at a time. Although you could get faster with practice it was still a painfully slow process. In order to make this easier for users the process allows you to load a Rig with similar meta data and pre populate all the tag fields. This meant that users only needed to change a few specific tags using the scroll wheel on the KPA.

Once a profile has been made the original Rig (Kemper Amp0 amp is no longer of any relevance as you are now trying to compare the quality of the profile against the real amp and any tweaks you make to the rig should affect the new profile not the original Rig. Therefore the profile replaces the original Rig in the edit buffer.

The only flaw in the process which drives me crazy is the fact the Kemper allows multiple Rigs to have the same name. Therefore, you now have two DIFFERENT profiles with the name of the original Rig unless you manually renamed the new profile when saving. You can tell them apart by looking at the date/time stamp on each but it would be much better if Kemper used the standard computer methodology of not allowing identical names and simply added a unique identifier to the new rig ( e.g. Reference Rig_1)

• The only flaw in the process which drives me crazy is the fact the Kemper allows multiple Rigs to have the same name. Therefore, you now have two DIFFERENT profiles with the name of the original Rig unless you manually renamed the new profile when saving. You can tell them apart by looking at the date/time stamp on each but it would be much better if Kemper used the standard computer methodology of not allowing identical names and simply added a unique identifier to the new rig ( e.g. Reference Rig_1)

This is the part that is causing issues. Sometimes my new profile with the same name (or even if i change the name) is overwriting the sound on the previous preset. Both have the same name with the newly profiled sound. Thats why im being forced to copy and paste a dummy profile to use as the browser profile before the profile process is started. UNless i do this, the previous profile "sometimes" gets overwritten. Not only the name and tags but the entire sound that was profiled. Im now thinking this may have been a bug at one point. Ive updated the firmware and have been using this workaround for a while now to maybe the bug was fixed and im just not aware of it since im not risking overwriting the preset.