My Quad Cortex vs Player Impressions

• New to Kemper here. A couple of years ago I bought a Quad Cortex choosing it over the Kemper Stage based mainly on the UI and flexibility of signal path routing and ability to stack multiple drive pedal captures on the fly. It was a decision based upon feature set rather than hands on experience as I did not have access to an example of either device at the time.

When the Player was announced, I decided to jump on it as I wanted a good quality backup unit I could bring along to gigs and this was at a price point I could stomach.

So I spent a couple of weeks playing with it. I independently (I.e. without direct comparison) recreated versions of my gig presets on the Player with rigs based on MBritt profiles.

Then came the moment of truth. I set up a mixer so I could quickly switch between PA and my monitoring FRFR and an AB switch in front so I could directly compare on a corresponding preset to rig basis. The Player was the hands down winner across the board. Every single preset, I preferred the Player. With great power comes great responsibility I guess, and I seem to have let myself down on that front.

Next, I dialled in the Quad Cortex to sound more like the Player rigs and largely succeeded, in some cases preferring the Quad Cortex tone again. However, when hybrid picking, I still found the Player to be much more convincing as to playing a real amp than the Quad Cortex. There’s just a deeper responsiveness to it that you feel more than hear, which I suppose no YouTube demonstration could possibly convey.

Phew. So I let that sink in for a couple of days.

If the folks at Kemper intended the Player to be a gateway drug, well… today I listed my Quad Cortex for sale with the intention ordering a Kemper Stage.

• A couple of Studios where I work regularly have also the QC...to be very honest I didn't liked it Vs. my Stage. You can work with it if you have to, the Amp tones are better then an Helix (before the latest update), but the FXs are really average....specially if you compare Del and Rev with the Kemper ones. Welcome to the dope house!

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• ema_101 Welcome to the forum ✌️

Nice entry story. You know, i have a kemper stage since 2021 and i'm totally happy with it. Whether it's form factor, sound quality, liquid profiles, usb audio and midi over usb, morphing, rig manager... and and and...

Go and grab a stage yourself.

You will not regret it 😉

Kemper Stage User

• Had a QC for about 3 weeks after owning a rack and before buying a stage. I love the idea of storing multiple scenes within a single preset but the form factor was too small and it didnt do things I wanted it to do. Didnt sound amazingly if it all, better, so to the stage I went!

• well… today I listed my Quad Cortex for sale with the intention ordering a Kemper Stage.

I'm told that the QC is able to profile drive pedals (sans amp). Have you any working experience on that and if so how good is it? I was thinking about getting one just to use as a drive box in front. I dont run alot of fx but I love variety when it comes to drives and boosts and stuff.

• I'm told that the QC is able to profile drive pedals (sans amp). Have you any working experience on that and if so how good is it? I was thinking about getting one just to use as a drive box in front. I dont run alot of fx but I love variety when it comes to drives and boosts and stuff.

Yes absolutely. That's the one thing I'm really going to miss. I captured my favourite IRL drive pedals with my go-to settings and used them in pretty much every preset I made. That worked great and was easy to stack on the fly without having to take different captures with certain pedals on and off, so I was able to use any combination of my pedals with any amp no matter if it was mine or one I got off the Cortex Cloud.

That said, I don't think I would recommend QC as a drive modeler into something else due to latency and output impedance not to mention it is way overpriced for that limited use case.

• ema_101 Welcome to the forum ✌️

Nice entry story. You know, i have a kemper stage since 2021 and i'm totally happy with it. Whether it's form factor, sound quality, liquid profiles, usb audio and midi over usb, morphing, rig manager... and and and...

Go and grab a stage yourself.

You will not regret it 😉

Order placed! The QC was easy to sell and I quickly had multiple offers.

• Yes absolutely. That's the one thing I'm really going to miss. I captured my favourite IRL drive pedals with my go-to settings and used them in pretty much every preset I made. That worked great and was easy to stack on the fly without having to take different captures with certain pedals on and off, so I was able to use any combination of my pedals with any amp no matter if it was mine or one I got off the Cortex Cloud.

That said, I don't think I would recommend QC as a drive modeler into something else due to latency and output impedance not to mention it is way overpriced for that limited use case.

Ok thanks. It actually just occurred to me that I can use the profiler to profile a drive pedal with no amp then load those into the playeras a rig and run that into the toaster. Also reminds me of how evh used to run a cranked plexi line out into the preamp of another plexi and how easy that would be to replicate running the player into the toaster or even another player. Oh man do I have some tinkering to do....lol