Kemper vs Axe FX vs Helix vs S-Gear vs Thermionik vs Amplitube: Mesa Boogie MKIV

• Time for another gear emulation comparison!

This video is all about comparing the Mesa Boogie MKIV emulations in the following platforms (in no particular order):

Kemper Profiler
    Axe FX/AX8
    Line 6 Helix (Native/LT)
    Amplitube 4 (Mesa pack)
    Thermionik
    S-gear

Those were all the platforms of which I am aware that they emulate the MKIV amp.
    Most of them did a very good job but I have a few favorites.

Of course I'd love to know which one you though was best so let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMdwVGxU-Vs

About the Kemper clip: I recognize that the Kemper example perhaps doesn't sound as good as some of the others.
    Unfortunately I didn't have a MKIV here to profile so I had to rely on existing (commercial) profiles.
    To keep things as consistent as I could, I chose a direct MKIV profile from a commercial vendor to be able to use the same IR as with the rest.
    I had to tweak from there.
    This was honestly the best profile I could find for this test.
    I think the Kemper can definitely do MUCH better but in different circumstances....
    I guess that's just a drawback of this platform sometimes since you can't ever start a 'preset' from scratch.

• That said, I thought the Thermionik and AxeFX had the best overall character while still retaining the tight low end. The Amplitube sounded just like the AxrFX to me except its looser low end.

As for which is "most accurate", I don't have a clue. :)

• I never thought the Kemper did authentic Boogie MKIV and MKIIC+ tones (or Friedman either really).

I think the AxeFX/AX8 are much better at this. The Kemper is better at most every other amp type.

you should consider profiled the Axe IIC+ or IV and share the profiles, I'd love to compare the results with our MKIIC+ profiles ( Djemass ones for instance )

• I never thought the Kemper did authentic Boogie MKIV and MKIIC+ tones (or Friedman either really).

I think the AxeFX/AX8 are much better at this. The Kemper is better at most every other amp type.

Hey Benvigil, this is funny but I think the opposite. Of course it is a matter of taste.

I owned a IIC+ and I am quite used to it. Honestly, Thumas, Choptones IIC+ ready to play pack or even some of my profiles are quite authentic. I tested Axefx/Helix stuff and I was not really convinced... but depends also of what kind of Mark2C+/IV tones you are referring to (Metallica? Dream Theater? Santana/Al Di Meola?). I think a lot of modelers with the right IR can get a close Boogie tone, in particular for the very heavy metal tones.

My 2 cents

Considering it is relatively easy to match axe with kemper, and kemper with axe, I'm not sure personally. For me kemper imposes its own mids, on some level, which perhaps could be said to be more characteristic of a marshall than a mesa -- Such innacuracies are consistently there nonetheless. Axe offers more variables to play with on that end when trying to match a particular signal chain. But people tend not to shoot IR of their cab (or tone match the axe amp model to get it closer to one's own amp) often thinking it's axe fx amp modelling that is to blame.

Edited 3 times, last by Dimi84 (November 24, 2017 at 5:05 PM).

• For me kemper imposes its own mids, on some level, which perhaps could be said to be more characteristic of a marshall than a mesa

This.

The distortion "character" of Boogies (and Friedmans to a lesser extent) is very different from Marshalls. I think the Kemper does absolutely STELLAR Marshall tones.

• Too high gain for me, all metal tones sound the same to my ears...does no one on this forum play classic rock? :)

Besides, why use the same IR for all the clips when we know a real cabinet//IR/Kemper Cab/etc, etc, make up 60/70% of the overall tone?

• Too high gain for me, all metal tones sound the same to my ears...does no one on this forum play classic rock? :)

Besides, why use the same IR for all the clips when we know a real cabinet//IR/Kemper Cab/etc, etc, make up 60/70% of the overall tone?

If you don't use the same IR it will not be possible to narrow down the comparison to amp modelling itself.

Granted, kemper profile may have been of amp dialed in very differently to the others, so that is an issue on its own.

I play classic rock and often use classic rock tones for metal as well (as a starting point, just some more gain) :)

But yea there are nuances in high gain tones as well. The more used to these tones one is the more they hear the difference, on average, I'd think.

• you should consider profiled the Axe IIC+ or IV and share the profiles, I'd love to compare the results with our MKIIC+ profiles ( Djemass ones for instance )

I've done that but didn't keep the profiles. Profiling the real amp was just as close result-wise as profiling the axe amp model. If the OP video used direct profile of the axe tone result would be much closer, as well, even though the bass and mid response would still not be identical in my experience. Profile sounds thinner, raspier than the source. Subtle difference but it was there in my case.

• Are you sure the name of the ir is correct? I cannot find this ir at all. I tried to find it so I could work out the cost because I'm sure the Thermionik M4+ir combo is the most cost effective solution here. The M4 is $8.99 on it's own.

Edited once, last by Karl (November 24, 2017 at 6:57 PM).

• If you don't use the same IR it will not be possible to narrow down the comparison to amp modelling itself.
    Granted, kemper profile may have been of amp dialed in very differently to the others, so that is an issue on its own.

I play classic rock and often use classic rock tones for metal as well (as a starting point, just some more gain) :)

But yea there are nuances in high gain tones as well. The more used to these tones one is the more they hear the difference, on average, I'd think.

yeah, I think Kemper did good but the circumstances of this video just weren't ideal.
    I still wanted to include Kemper in the comparison because it's one of the few platforms that can do a MKIV.

• Without insisting on authenticity, the Amplitube 4 part sounds shocking great for me 8o All a matter of taste of course.
    I did a kind of blind test. I immediately recognized the Kemper track :thumbup:

Helix for me sounds not so good - something is missing there for me (in the low mid-range?).

But as can be seen in the utube comments - it seems everyone has his own preferences...