Les Paul Alnico sounding same as Les Paul P90 ?

• Hi,

Looking for some input in choosing LP Humbucker model. Have a LP '56 VOS P90 gold top. Like it, but it is not a tool to play Slash or ACDC with - so ignored to complement my collection , wanted to add a 3rd guitar, to fill up the missing sonic place , next to my Fender Strat and LP P90.
    Bought a LP'58 CS8 with Custom Burstbuckers (2 x Alnico III) - great guitar, very good resonance, however , coming home with it, comparing it with my P90, could not hear much difference. Recorded both, in order to compare it better, but apart from the '58 being a little bit hotter pu, treble and bass character is almost not to be kept apart - this is playing on a Fender deluxe clean . If i play on a kemper JTM45 with a lot of drive, then completely impossible to tell the 2 apart.

Am I missing something ? all 2015 CS8 and CS9 have same pups. IS this my lack of playing experience, or is the difference so subtle ?
    What should I look for instead ?

thanks

• The subtle differences in PU will mainly be heard on cleans, crunches tones and low drive , since heavy drive will add lots of compression to the tone and even the dynamics.

You should really hear some differences , I work on pick up matched profiles and I can really tell you that most carefully crafted single coil rigs will not really be the best option for P90 or HB pickups, that's why I took the option to have separate packs. A single coil or P90 should definitively cut a mix better when it comes to early ACDC low drives for instance, compared to a humbucker equipped guitar.

• The subtle differences in PU will mainly be heard on cleans, crunches tones and low drive , since heavy drive will add lots of compression to the tone and even the dynamics.

You should really hear some differences , I work on pick up matched profiles…

I have seen Kemper Profiles for LP versus Strat/SC types. So where does P90 fit in ? I've 'sampled"/profiled my Fender Reissue Deluxe with P90's but haven't noticed them yet on the Rig Exchange being mentioned . Kind of noticed that the overdriven sounds were worse to compare. So what would different HH types are there - how do they compare in sound ? I hear PAF, Burst Buckers, ... Alnico 2 - 5 . I'd like these CustomBuckers (CB) to be a bit heavier/hotter, (but without loosing too much of the high end clarity i guess). My old Ibanez PF400 sounds a lot duller without being punchy, so there i lost on both aspects. That was my first guitar i bought, and that's what drove me to Strat and P90 afterwards.

Does Kemper also mask difference P90 vs HH more ? Had impression that i could hear a more subtle difference between the P90 and the CB.

• So where does P90 fit in ?

I own three P90's eqipped guitars and I know I'm happy using SC profiles with it.
    The P90 is a SC after all and everything in my Kemper sounds and behaves just like in real life when I play P90.
    That said, personally I think P90’s are just great for AC/DC stuff.