Can an EQ Stomp replace the Treble Booster ?

• How can you save a stomp slot by using EQ instead of the Treble Booster?

:) yeah .. that's a valid question ... I didn't mention the following ...

I am already using a locked EQ stomp that I use to adapt the tone a bit between different guitars ... the Treble Booster simply does what I need to do EQ-wise for a darker sounding guitar of mine.

• Even if you can get the EQ to sound like the treble booster, you would need to Unlock the EQ slot to use different settings in different rigs.

Since you are concerned with FX slot availability, I think it would be simpler to use an EQ or the treble booster in the slot, leaving the other three available for other FX.

If you make an EQ preset of the setting you currently have locked, and also make a treble booster preset, you can load the EQ or treble booster preset into that unlocked FX slot in each rig.

• Even if you can get the EQ to sound like the treble booster, you would need to Unlock the EQ slot to use different settings in different rigs.

Since you are concerned with FX slot availability, I think it would be simpler to use an EQ or the treble booster in the slot, leaving the other three available for other FX.

If you make an EQ preset of the setting you currently have locked, and also make a treble booster preset, you can load the EQ or treble booster preset into that unlocked FX slot in each rig.

Thanks for the idea Paults. I had in mind to save the EQ as a preset and simply switch the preset on this locked EQ Stomp when I switch guitars.

• You will still need a stomp slot whether you use an EQ or Booster stomp to change the tone for a certain guitar. You can have multiple Boosters and EQ stomps and lock them in different slots. I use 2 Booster stomps in my clean profiles. I created different rigs for my different guitars, that way I did the EQ fixes with the Stack section and saved the stomp slots. If I switch guitars I simply switch banks. Hope that helps.

• You will still need a stomp slot whether you use an EQ or Booster stomp to change the tone for a certain guitar. You can have multiple Boosters and EQ stomps and lock them in different slots. I use 2 Booster stomps in my clean profiles. I created different rigs for my different guitars, that way I did the EQ fixes with the Stack section and saved the stomp slots. If I switch guitars I simply switch banks. Hope that helps.

Hmm, ok. Since I do use an EQ already I'd rather consolidate the Treble Booster in an EQ Stomp.

If nobody has any idea on the frequencies the TB is boosting I might try to analyze / match it with some software.

• Tried to emulate the Definition knob with the Studio EQ last year; what I came up with was: Low Gain: -18 db, Low Freq: 615 Hz, High Gain: +10.5 db, High Freq: 6660 Hz, Mid1 Gain: -9 db, Mid 1 Freq: 100 Hz, Mid1 Q: 0.550, mix at 100% would be equivalent of 10 Definition. That only leaves one EQ band tho...

• So, I did look at the before / after frequency spectrum by feeding in a chord playing in a loop via SPDIF input with the KPA stack & post-stack FX disabled while feeding the SPDIF output into my audio analyzer that aggregates the frequency curve until it appears frozen ...

... and it looks like a shelving filter to me. Going below ~400 Hz frequencies are being progressively cut up to ~1-2 db and going above 400 Hz it starts boosting all frequencies by about 6-7 db.

The Stomp EQs do not have a shelving filter ... so I don't think what I was trying to do will work.

Any ideas ?

• @ Michael_dk:

yes, I was thinking that ... but can the Q factor make it that wide like from 0.5 kHz - 5 kHz. I'll probably just try it out.

By the way ... is it normal that the Treble Booster going into a Marshall amp profile with 5.5 gain adding some high frequency crackling noise ?

• No idea on both counts :)

But +1 on just trying it out.

Is the crackling over spdif, and if so - have you set kemper as the master clock? I wouln't expect it to be normal.

Actually, it happens with or without SPDIF ... listening over headphones and without any (guitar) input cable plugged in (yes). I will record a sample as it is fairly loud relative to the very quiet / not noisy KPA ... I normally wouldn't even remotely complain if this was a tube amp with pedals :)