Since owning the kemper - Anyone find they're having to learn the ropes again?

• EDIT: Since I can't post in the 'link your music' subforum, despite having registered my unit (just now) I'm assuming it's a moderator thing rather than automated. No matter as it's not my music anyways :P

So I've had the kemper for a week now and have been debating on whether to return the unit to get my money back. After reamping several old projects I was finding everything to more or less sound overly dark and muffled, and the kemper'ed tracks haven't exactly 'dropped into the mix' for me. Even after efforts in remixing the entire song, it was beginning to prove aggravating for me. More aggravation than I needed tbh.

So I decided to start out a fresh project earlier today (one not of my own songs, as I'd be far too critical on it) and basically record and mix everything from the ground up. I quickly discovered that I needed to revisit the way I go about editing every element. Also how I probably need to go back and rewrite a few things in my own work too :evil:

I had to exercise RESTRAINT! :P In the past I would mangle and tear apart otherwise good sounding instruments, in order to mold their sound around my guitars that were previously running simulations (amp sims). I'm finding myself making more critical mix decisions, in addition to refraining from editing an item's sound too much. All-in-all I'm beginning to have an image in my head that's much more coherent in the grand scheme of things now that I'm not too caught up in fighting with the guitars' overall sound and tone.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Still not quite happy with the mix (and I need to go about balancing a few things (No doubt I'll mix it down even further)), but I'm getting there - perhaps I'm just fatigued so I'm gonna take a break for now. Let me know what you think of it :D Certainly not as dark as the original from the album, but overall I think it's coming together well enough.

Even so, hearing this playback - I'm kinda itching to record its vocals too xD
    Having registered the unit, I guess it's safe to say that it's here to stay :) Especially in light of the new approach, the guitars have at most, only a few dbs of eq in some of the more troublesome frequencies TOTAL. It was more a matter of mixing the drums and bass to sit deeper into their own domain.

Anyone else who once found themselves in a similar predicament at first?

• One of the reasons the kemper is so popular in studios is that it copies the real amp rig, for many providing a seamless transition for those who are used to working and mixing with real amps. That's a big advantage over modelers that only can provide what those companies think their programmed versions of amps should sound and behave like, therefore not able to copy what the users actually have.

• ^ Mmm Hmm :)

There's more of a learning curve involved, aside from the kemper itself, once its introduced. At least for those having only messed with simulations in the past and no extensive experience miking up loud amps (such as myself).

It's easier to fiddle with a simulation with onscreen dials on the fly, and force it to sound 'closer' to what you wanted, ending with an okay sound overall. Since getting the kemper though I've found I've had to change my approach on where the guitars sit, in addition to how I edit everything else (which is a good thing! I'm getting better, more cohesive sounds as a result!)

It kinda aggravates me how I didn't just jump on this unit years ago, instead of agonizing with every other alternative at the time. What's worse is I figured it'd turn out like this... maybe I'm a masochist >_>