• Can't say for certain how appropriate it is to ask, especially if I were to just open a new thread. Can you fellas perhaps gimme a ball park figure (through PM of course) of what you paid for your KPA? ESPECIALLY if you nabbed a powerhead? I'm more interested in new prices rather than used, but feel free to share regardless! location/currency isn't much of a concern, but I am based in the US, so something to keep in mind.

From recent talks I may very well go for the powerhead, and later on tag on an awesome cab to pair with it. For now I'll simply be using the spdif for recording, etc. The price compared to the unpowered version is kinda steep, but I'm figuring I won't find a better price new atm. Your input is appreciated ^^

EDIT: From the looks of it, we don't seem to have a private messaging system on this board? If not, my youtube or soundcloud would suffice.

Btw I'm searching but I've yet to come across a sticky for forum rules, anyone with a link? :)

• PMs are called conversations here. You select a member's profile and start a Conversation by clicking on the cartoon balloon aside its name :)

As a European person I can't be of much help for the price, better to chat with US people :)

As for the active\passive debate, keep in mind that the Lunchbox can be retrofitted aftermarket saving a consistent amount of money in comparison with the natively powered version, while the Rack can't (so it requires you to have clearer ideas about what you will do in the future: you can of course always resell it, but oh well...)).

HTH

• As far as a powered Kemper, it makes sense to get one if you have the dough. But I don't miss it and I always have the option of installing one in the space at the back of my toaster if I want, which is great.

Still, FRFR is the way to get the best out of the Kemper, imho. ^^[/quote]

Dont miss it either, but it would be nice to hear the Kemper trough my 2x12 CAE cabinet!

• As for the active\passive debate, keep in mind that the Lunchbox can be retrofitted aftermarket saving a consistent amount of money in comparison with the natively powered version

I was curious about the ambrosi project, seeing as how the poweramp takes an input from the monitor out, does this prevent the kemper from using additional outputs simultaneously? I understand on the PowerHead, the poweramp output can run without a cab sim, regardless of whatever other outputs are being used - but I wasn't sure if this was the same case as the monitor out on the unpowered kemper, as I would want to be running spdif at the same time.

EDIT: nvm, I just spotted in the quick guide how it mentions the power section is internally connected to one's monitor outs, in the case of the PowerHead.

Thanks guys for the replies! I may just be better off getting a retrofit in the future

Although after considering the costs of a retrofit and whatever other miscellaneous costs tied to it, I may be better off springing for the powerhead for just a couple hundred more, and on top of that still be covered by the kemper warranty. I'll have to ponder on this for just a little while longer... ;)

• Welcome Redoubt9000!

Just a thought on your situation which is kinda like mine. Not really planning on going anywhere with it at this time, therefore unpowered lunchbox was my choice (and should be here today :thumbup: ). I will use my two BX8 monitors (SPDIF > Fast Track Ultra) and also try the FX return of my Boogie MkV into a recto 2x12 with cab sims off. I have read numerous posts of players doing the FX return and getting great sounds. In the future I can always add a aftermarket poweramp if travel is preferred but this way with my amp/cab and monitors I get to see which way I prefer. Can't wait to try the options...
    Good luck with your choice.

Edited once, last by Zapman (January 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM).

• So far from what I can tell, I'm pretty much doing a flip-flop routine when it comes to deciding between the unpowered and powered version. So I think it best to be frugal and simply go for the unpowered version at this point. I imagine that part of the kemper's magic also lies in its cab section, and I'd much rather not lose that by hoarding around a guitar cab. A powered FRFR system would be best in my situation, especially with any later additions of synths/workstation boards! :D

Thanks all for the welcomes and your very helpful input! ;) I think I'm ready to make my decision

• So far from what I can tell, I'm pretty much doing a flip-flop routine when it comes to deciding between the unpowered and powered version. So I think it best to be frugal and simply go for the unpowered version at this point. I imagine that part of the kemper's magic also lies in its cab section, and I'd much rather not lose that by hoarding around a guitar cab. A powered FRFR system would be best in my situation, especially with any later additions of synths/workstation boards! :D

Thanks all for the welcomes and your very helpful input! ;) I think I'm ready to make my decision

That's a good decision. And remember choosing the toaster leaves you the option to retrofit your profiler with a poweramp later.

• This. No doubt the FRFR route is the most versatile and "pure" to the original rig's sound.
    I'm personally a huge fan of the CLRs, and see a poweramp just as a way of being able to use my favourite guitar cab(s).

OTOH, a powered Profiler (be it native or retrofitted aftermarket) gives you the possibility to use both passive linear cabs (FRFR) and traditional guitar cabs, often spending for the power amp about what you saved with the passive FRFR Vs. the active one.

:)

• Well I've had a few hours to noodle around on the kemper today. Could tell right away the feel and sound was overall a good improvement. Problem is, is that I've spent so long mixing guitars utilizing amp sims, that I'm probably going to have to relearn the process altogether! But so far, I've gotten spdif sorted out, and have ran through the reamp process with no trouble.

Which I don't mind, some of these tones just sit so well in the mix that I can finally relax and not spends hours fighting with my guitar tones and overdoing it during post - I'm particularly in love with the majority of SinMix's profiles, especially the 6505 profiles! ^^

I happened to make another discovery today also. It turns out I'm a fairly tight player! All these years dicking around with simulations and the inherit latency involved, I ended up frustrated all the time with the tracking process and spent the majority of my time NOT mixing or playing, but editing screwed up takes on account of the tracking just being 'off' in terms of feel and response (I neglected to adjust latency/buffer settings too for the most part, which I spose is a bit of a no-no).

Better yet... I'm actually having FUN playing, something I haven't felt in the longest. I hope this honeymoon doesn't end, but if it does - at least I know I've got a competent piece of gear available on tap!

Wanted to say thanks to you all for chiming in whenever I had a question. I think this unit is here to stay, course being the pessimist I am, I'll give it another week or so to demo. I doubt I'll return it. I'm better off not reamping any of my work for now, and instead just rerecord all of my tracks, come into it revitalized with the synergy that has evolved here, fullbore! :D

• Well I've had a few hours to noodle around on the kemper today. Could tell right away the feel and sound was overall a good improvement. Problem is, is that I've spent so long mixing guitars utilizing amp sims, that I'm probably going to have to relearn the process altogether! But so far, I've gotten spdif sorted out, and have ran through the reamp process with no trouble.

Which I don't mind, some of these tones just sit so well in the mix that I can finally relax and not spends hours fighting with my guitar tones and overdoing it during post - I'm particularly in love with the majority of SinMix's profiles, especially the 6505 profiles! ^^

I happened to make another discovery today also. It turns out I'm a fairly tight player! All these years dicking around with simulations and the inherit latency involved, I ended up frustrated all the time with the tracking process and spent the majority of my time NOT mixing or playing, but editing screwed up takes on account of the tracking just being 'off' in terms of feel and response (I neglected to adjust latency/buffer settings too for the most part, which I spose is a bit of a no-no).

Better yet... I'm actually having FUN playing, something I haven't felt in the longest. I hope this honeymoon doesn't end, but if it does - at least I know I've got a competent piece of gear available on tap!

Wanted to say thanks to you all for chiming in whenever I had a question. I think this unit is here to stay, course being the pessimist I am, I'll give it another week or so to demo. I doubt I'll return it. I'm better off not reamping any of my work for now, and instead just rerecord all of my tracks, come into it revitalized with the synergy that has evolved here, fullbore! :D

The honeymoon won't end, trust me. Like being married to a gorgeous woman that loves you and you love her and your children are lots of little profiles ^^