Keeping profiles organized and limited files on the actual Kemper

• I've downloaded the Rig Manager for OSX but am not sure how everybody is organizing all their profiles.

The Kemper came stocked with so many profiles that finding the ones I prefer to use is a major PIA. I am about to purchase the MW rokpak, but want to get these profiles under control first. I also have a full PTHD studio where I sometimes record others, so I don't want to just delete profiles that may be appropriate for other recording or mixing gigs.

Ultimately I would like to keep all my profiles on my computer and backed up to a second hard drive, then only have maybe 50-100 profiles at most on the kemper so that finding what I am looking for is a lot easier.

Any advice on how to get all the profiles off the kemper and stored on my computer and then install just what I want would be appreciated. Obviously when I purchase the MW RokPak I am going to install all 204 profiles, audition, then want to remove a majority of those as well. In the past I've had issues where I would end up with doubles of the profiles on the kemper.

I'm sure this is an easy solution and I'm just a dumbass

• No you are not!
    This is a very good question and it may take a while until you figure out what will work best for you.

A few pointers from my personal experience.

Keep all original profiles (the actual files) and the zips they came in in one area and back them up.

Make sure you understand that you work with copies of the original files that are stored in the database - not the files themselves. Changes you you make will not be written back to the physical files you imported once.

Check the RM Forum section for user reported bugs and workarounds frequently. It may save you alot of time. If you are uncertain how something is supposed to work -> read the manual, that comes with the download. It is not that big and explains the most important concepts really well.

Create a few local "folders" - the name is misleading because everything is still in your database - and put the different packs there (drag & drop the files) and audition them in small numbers/units.

Profiles I like receive a fav tag - I also use the comment tag to take a note what guitar and/or pickup I was using when I was trying them out and liked them.

I do not delete any rig at all from my database. That way I can always go back, search for it and preview it under different circumstances.

I would create project folders and copy rigs there before I'd start tweaking them for the use in a particular project.

When I tweak I never save - I always "save as" and give it a different/modified (version) name.

Use Tags for searching.

Back up your database in reasonable intervals.

These procedures have worked for me very well. Have fun with your Kemper in combination with RM. It is not perfect but already an awesome and very convenient tool.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I think everyone will do things differently. I don't keep any profiles on my studio Kemper everything is organised in RM. My first set of folders are the Amps make eg Marshall, Fender, Diezel etc them in these folders I have folders for the modal of the amps eg JCM800, VH4 etc

then when I record a band I can find the right amp quite easily. Once the band has found their sound I then make a folder in RM with the name of the band an place their sounds in that folder so it's nice and easy to find their sound on new sessions.

like I said everyone will do it differently amd their is no right or wrong way it's what ever makes your work flow faster and easier :)

• All good ideas, especially regarding safety and backing things up. However, the approach above only works for a studio environment. If you're gigging in multiple bands and want/need a different set of rigs for each, I would suggest creating separate backups for each combination, then restoring the corresponding backup for the gig at hand. Of course, you would want these backups themselves backed up too, and always keep a copy of everything in another place. You can NEVER have enough backups!

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Re: Backups for different bands
    I play occasionally in another band, but, prefer not to have a separate set up for those sounds. All the sounds, for both bands, are available, all the time. I put the "other band" sounds in higher banks than the sounds I use for my main band.

Yep, and I tend to do this as well, but the OP was about reducing rigs ... :)

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer