Want to buy a Kemper, but have question

• Hi, i'm considering buying a Kemper but I have a question. I have some setups I made in Guitar Rig and Line 6 Gear box, is it possible to profile those sounds in kemper and play them live through a cabinet?

BOYCOTT wikipedia - USE en.metapedia.org
    BOYCOTT youtube - USE trutube.tv
    BOYCOTT google - USE startpage.com

• Hi there...

This is totally possible, as there already are KIPR files made from Guitar-VST plugins.
    Owning two KPAs, I even sometimes profile tweaked profiles.

Just keep in mind that when you want to profile your already made presets, you will
    have to turn off all fancy effects, just profiling the raw amp tone (EQ, Distortion and
    Compressors (hm, not quite sure aboot the least) should be no problem, but any
    time based effects like phasers, flangers, delays etc. as well as noise gates will
    baffle the Kemper during the profiling and should be turned off, otherwise they
    might render a sound suboptimal, if not completely unprofilable.

Once you'll have duplicated the core sound, simply use the Kempers internal
    FX-slots to re-add any effects your original sound had. Keep in mind though
    that re-constructing supercomplex fx-chains might not be possible to the very
    last detail.

So it's not exactly "plug-n-play". You can not simply copy an fx-laden sound,
    "catching" it in it's entirety from your PC to the Kemper via profiling.

But basically it's possible, yes...

• Confirmed, all the gain-, level-, distortion-, EQ-related fx can be profiled.

Feel free to refer to wikpa.org for more tricks and hints :)

PS: welcome here Mr... Kemper :D

PPS: Terraformer: great nick :thumbup:

Thanks both of you for your answers. So can I profile one item at a time e.g. first the raw amp, then one pedal at a time and maybe the cabinet and the speaker?

• Not exactly. You can't load an effect or an amp as blocks, planning to load them as an effect or an amp. For one, fx in the Profiler are modelled.
    What you can do is to profile a chain of gain/EQ/distorsion-related fx, amp, cab, mic.
    You do can profile an effect, but shall use it as a whole profile then. Which might lead to interesting results nevertheless, but probably not what you meant :)

• Not exactly. You can't load an effect or an amp as blocks, planning to load them as an effect or an amp. For one, fx in the Profiler are modelled.
    What you can do is to profile a chain of gain/EQ/distorsion-related fx, amp, cab, mic.
    You do can profile an effect, but shall use it as a whole profile then. Which might lead to interesting results nevertheless, but probably not what you meant :)

well, the sounds I would like to recreate are typically distortion pedal > amp > cabinet with specific speaker. Is that possible?

• Hi, i'm considering buying a Kemper but I have a question. I have some setups I made in Guitar Rig and Line 6 Gear box, is it possible to profile those sounds in kemper and play them live through a cabinet?

Yes, the kemper can do spot on profiles from both real amps and software/hardware modelers.
    You can experiment with the profiling chain using different pedals, mics, speaker cabs, outboard gear...
    It won't profile time based effects so you have to turn those off if they are in your setup. Then recreate those effects in the kemper.
    Scroll down on this page and watch some videos that demonstrate the profiling process.
    http://www.wikpa.org/Profiling_Tutorials

• I feel the cabinet/speaker combination in some of my software modeler creations is an important part of the sound. I want to play these sounds live, all I have is a Marshall 4 x 12” cabinet. How close do you guys think I can get to the sound I'm hearing in the software keeping in mind that I only have the Marshall 4 x 12” cabinet for now? (The cabinet/speaker combination is often different than the Marshall)

• I feel the cabinet/speaker combination in some of my software modeler creations is an important part of the sound. I want to play these sounds live, all I have is a Marshall 4 x 12” cabinet. How close do you guys think I can get to the sound I'm hearing in the software keeping in mind that I only have the Marshall 4 x 12” cabinet for now? (The cabinet/speaker combination is often different than the Marshall)

If you want to use your Marshall 4x12" cab, fine, all you have to do is switch off cab in the profiler.
    All your rigs will have a 4x12" flavour of course.
    If you really want to make use of all the different cab combinations imaginable you'll have to use a full range, flat response cab, IOW, a good active monitor.

Honestly, the KPA sounds much better and much more authentic than anything else, I never used Guitar Rig and POD HD 500 (it's sold meanwhile) again after I bought the Kemper.

It's better to look for some great free profiles from Rig Exchange and from the big vendors here (The Amp Factory and Soundside.de).

I'm quite sure that you will not use Guitar Rig and Line 6 anymore after you have bought the KPA. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / http://guenterhaas.weebly.com/

• If you want to use your Marshall 4x12" cab, fine, all you have to do is switch off cab in the profiler.
    If you really want to make use of all the different cab combinations imaginable you'll have to use a full range, flat response cab, IOW, a good active monitor.

Another option would be to profile the modeller+Marshall+mic chain (of course you'd always have a Marshall sound). You could then go direct FOH and keep the cab as a monitor on stage, or use it FOH in smaller venues.

But I definitely agree with Ingolf, despite the never-ending "amp in the room Vs. FRFR" debate :thumbup:

• If you want to use your Marshall 4x12" cab, fine, all you have to do is switch off cab in the profiler.

Could you recommend a good Kemper + poweramp + FRFR speaker combo? Something that could, live, nail anything done in software modelers.

• I'm quite sure that you will not use Guitar Rig and Line 6 anymore after you have bought the KPA. ;)

You're probably right.

• Could you recommend a good Kemper + poweramp + FRFR speaker combo? Something that could, live, nail anything done in software modelers.

Unpowered Kemper plus an Atomic CLR is the top of the food chain.
    I can not imagine that it could possibly get better than this.

• Unpowered Kemper plus an Atomic CLR is the top of the food chain.
    I can not imagine that it could possibly get better than this.

So you're basically saying the power amp in the Atomic CLR is better than the one in a powered Kemper right?

• I'm sure Ingolf will agree that the Kemper power amp is very good.
    OTOH, an active cab can benefit of a perfect match (coupling) between the power section and the cones, and in the case of the CLR the price/quality ratio can't be easily beaten.
    Furthermore, the difference in price between an active and passive CLR is much lower than the cost of a Kemper power amp. And, you'd not save overall weight by buying the passive version and an external amp.

Hope this responds to your doubts

:)

• So you're basically saying the power amp in the Atomic CLR is better than the one in a powered Kemper right?

That's not what he's saying, they are used for two different setups.
    Powered monitors (with full freq range for music) and guitar cabs (with limited freq range) are two different things.
    If you prefer to play through a monitor full range system (with kemper cabs on) then it's often good to get a monitor speaker with a built in power amp, because it's optimized for that speaker. The CLR is one of many great full range powered monitors for those who prefer to play this way. The same goes for smaller studio monitors.

If you prefer to play through a traditional guitar cab speaker (with kemper cabs off) then you need a power amp.
    Either get a kemper with built in power amp or use any other power amp you prefer.

• Ok, that clears it up. Pobably best for me to get a speaker amp combo. Do others agree that an active Atomic CLR is top of the food chain or are there other choices?