Another annoying recording question (so sorry)

• First of all - sorry if this was already discussed somewhere here - I simply couldn´t find it :pinch:

Tomorrow I´ll get my new interface (Tascam US144 MkII) which has S/PDIF. With finally having s/pdif I want to make sure that I can now finally record some quality DI tracks. My problem is this: I want to record a wet and a dry signal at the same time - I´ve read that when using spdif to record both at the same time - the quality of the wet signal will suffer as opposed to just recording the wet signal - is that true or have I been misslead?

My approach would now be to record the DI signal via S/PDIF to get the maximum quality there and record the wet signal via XLR or 1/4" at the same time. Does that make sense? Is the quality difference for wet tracks big when comparing spdif to XLR or 1/4"? What would be your recommendation for recording both wet and dry at the same time but having the DI just as "backup" (so that the wet track has to be great sounding as well)?

Hope someone can help me out even though this probably has been asked a thousand times before :)

• Hi Hannes,

i even record three tracks simultaneously: the left channel SPDIF (for reamping), the right wet channel AND the rig i am actually playing, via
    the monitor output because with some firmware update i had the thing that the punch of the clean SPDIF irritated me. so i do not monitor those two channels.
    i cannot see any difference in quality between those two wet tracks, it is just that the level of the SPDIF wet track is considerably lower than the clean one. but that
    is probably my fault. in any case, if you face problems, search for "reamping" in the WIKPA, once you have got your new interface. there are good tipps to be found there.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 (April 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM).

• There is a bit of difference in tones when played via 1/4" or SPDIF, by my reckoning. This has more to do with the quality and length of cables than anything happening on the Kemper side of things.

You can easily record your wet signals over 1/4" and your DI using the SPDIF or vice-versa. Just need to use the appropriate output settings. But you should know that there's no point in having a stereo DI signal, since reamping results would be better with a single mono signal running into the Kemper.

• There is a bit of difference in tones when played via 1/4" or SPDIF, by my reckoning. This has more to do with the quality and length of cables than anything happening on the Kemper side of things.

You can easily record your wet signals over 1/4" and your DI using the SPDIF or vice-versa. Just need to use the appropriate output settings. But you should know that there's no point in having a stereo DI signal, since reamping results would be better with a single mono signal running into the Kemper.

thanks a lot! Could you point me in the direction where I could find the appropriate output settings? Also - if I set up 2 mono-tracks in my daw and record the DI via SPDIF and the Wet via XLR - then I should have two mono tracks right? My wet mono track and my dry mono track which should provide me with optimal quality for re-amping if necessary - or am I completely wrong here? (I´m really new to the whole re-amping thing)

• you will have to adjust the output settings in the "master" menue. but wait until you have your Tascam.
    i had a tough time understanding how to configure my cubase for reamping. there is a little tutorial in the WIKPA.
    ingolf helped me a lot there and now it is here .

it starts with Reamping with S/PDIF

• You will need two coax. S/PDIF cables (RCA phone connectors) and – of course – an audio adapter which has coax. S/PDIF Input and Output.
    • Connect the first cable from the Kemper Profiler's S/PDIF Out to your audio adapter's S/PDIF In. Connect the second cable from your audio adapter's S/PDIF Out to Kemper Profiler's S/PDIF In. Please note that the Profiler must be S/PDIF Master! You have to syncronize your audio adapter to its S/PDIF Input and the sample rate has to be set to 44.1kHz.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Hannes, you can record the DI and the wet simultaneously. Set SPDIF Output to Git/Mod Mono. Mod Mono includes X and Mod slots but not Delay and Reverb. As long as you don't want to track in stereo with Delay and Reverb on your signal this may be your best option.

Open a support ticket here: SUPPORT

• Hannes, you can record the DI and the wet simultaneously. Set SPDIF Output to Git/Mod Mono. Mod Mono includes X and Mod slots but not Delay and Reverb. As long as you don't want to track in stereo with Delay and Reverb on your signal this may be your best option.

yeah that would actually be perfect! Anything else I should do when recording both wet and dry with SPDIF?

So you could have mono delay/reverb with this setup?!!?

Hannes, you can record the DI and the wet simultaneously. Set SPDIF Output to Git/Mod Mono. Mod Mono includes X and Mod slots but not Delay and Reverb. As long as you don't want to track in stereo with Delay and Reverb on your signal this may be your best option.

This. Your wet signal wont sound as good as when you reamp but that's why you reamp. It's good enough for tracking purposes.

• Rock hard. Thrash. Shredd. :D Be aware that the SPDIF out level of the DI depends on the Clean sense setting, have an eye on your DAW meter in order to keep the headroom clean. I'm recording / reamping that way and it works perfectly. Set the Reamp sense higher if a reamped tone sounds less driven.

Open a support ticket here: SUPPORT