Home use amp setup

• Hi, I'm totally new to this form, but having used a couple of modellers I am seriously thinking of going down the Kemper route.

I'd like to set up a home amp solution but not having any PA equipment I was wondering if you had any advice on a simple stereo set up?

I note that some people here use full range speakers with PA type power amps and other seem keen on guitar cabs.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Ah, just one other thing, I know nothing about PA type systems!

Cheers

• Ciao roog, welcome here :)

You can basically use a stereo poweramp with two passive cabs (both guitar or FRFR cabs) or a couple of active cabs. I'd suggest the amp to be as linear as possible.

A more linear cab will give you all the nuances of the profiled rig, while a guitar cab will definitely give you its sonic signature, and will be less versatile.
    It's not true that the "amp in the room" feeling needs a guitar cab, as Mr. Mitchell has shown. It all depends on how the profiled cab was mic'ed.

HTH

:)

Edited once, last by viabcroce: typos (November 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM).

• I use a pair of Mackie HR824 for monitoring the Profiler at home, chosen the right profile it sounds awsome, at high levels it gets very close to the thump and low end feel and response (my neighbor loves it, too 8o ) i'm used to get from my Engl 4x12 cab i use live. So a decent pair of studiomonitors would suit you just fine. A lot of users have recommended the ADAM A7X.

Open a support ticket here: SUPPORT

• Thank you both,

So from what you are suggesting I don't need huge speakers then? I am a bit limited for space.

I am interested that active monitors might be the order of the day, why is that please?

I was thinking of a Behringer studio amp with passive speakers, do you think that I would be making too much of a compromise if I go a bit more down market? I have to admit, the Mackie and Adam monitors seem like respected products.

Cheers

• An active system, if well-designed, has got the advantage that the interaction between the poweramp and the loudspeaker is optimized for the quality of the components.

I believe that the poweramp+loudspeaker system is responsible of a huge part of the wow factor when listening to a high-level digital device, and would spend as much as possible for it.

A high-end system will make the difference.

• An active system, if well-designed, has got the advantage that the interaction between the poweramp and the loudspeaker is optimized for the quality of the components.

I believe that the poweramp+loudspeaker system is responsible of a huge part of the wow factor when listening to a high-level digital device, and would spend as much as possible for it.

A high-end system will make the difference.

+1. Definitely don't go for the cheapest.
    I'm using (among others) a pair of Yamaha HS 80 monitors.

• Thank you for your replies chaps, to be quite honest, when I buy cheaper I always regret it and end up buying twice.

When looking for monitors, are there any specific performance parameters to be considered?

I've only just got used to the idea of guitar speakers!

• I use the Kemper only FRFR and it sounds great - and I get the 'in the room feeling'.

As with guitar speakers I prefer FRFR systems with 12" speakers.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Hi Viabcroce, I take your point, I wouldn’t pick a traditional guitar amp or speaker from the spec sheet.

I could probably manage to find $1000 or £630 for amp and cab, what did you have in mind?

Is stereo particularly important when using a Kemper? I don’t have a stereo guitar set up at the moment, unless you count the Yamaha THR! :0)

• I'd say go for the monitor solution. But no Behringers! ;) Doesn't make sense to get you such a nice piece of equipment like the KPA and then play it through crappy monitors.
    I use the Adam A7x and they are absolutely amazing for the price. Another advantage with monitors is that you can also use them for recording/mixing if you decide to take that route.

• Hi KoMa, thanks for the advice, I agree it would be a pointless saving going for a cheaper power stage and monitors having chosen the Kemper.

BTW: I do apologise to everyone as I have just spotted the links at the bottom of the page which clearly show previous answers to my questions, Duh!

They are however very helpful.

Gone to see who sells what and where.

• Yeah, buy a single, active CLR wedge and you'll be set in any circumstance. This was my idea as well. You can't go wrong with it, and you'll even be able to listen to music with it.
    After a while you can buy a second one, switch to a stereo setup, have a great stereo home system, and even use them in your home studio for producing music. The best of three worlds for 2,000 $, which is amazing IMO :D

• Cheers for the ideas guys, I like the idea of buying some thing that can be 'expanded' (to stereo) in stages and that has other uses. Unlike traditional tube guitar amps.

Edited once, last by ROOG: typo (November 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM).

• yes, I've been thinking about this stereo thing, buying one now, and then adding another 'later' only really works if they still make the same model 'later'.

Ho Hum.