Toontrack Metal God competition. My entry - full shred :)

• Don't mind, John, but it looks like you're not even trying in this one. 8o

I remember that Guitar Messenger competition solo that you did was insane. Those weird modes, scales... Man, I watched that several times trying to figure out how I could play like you haha. 8|

But in this one, you seemed out of time at the start, your guitar made buzzing sounds toward the end, you made a few goof-ups. And still posted. Interesting.

I surmise you don't care about winning this as badly as someone like me would want to ^^

Of course, after I downloaded the backing track for this competition and loaded up Cubase, it crashed. And then Windows started doing this insanely long update.

And then my playing sounded so bad I decided not to submit anything :thumbdown::thumbup:

Anyways, hoping you might be willing to do a solo on one of the tracks of the demo I've been working on for 7 years now haha. Freaking awesome phrasing ^^ \m/

• Interesting very fusiony choices on the modes, unbelievable skill on the playing. I agree with the previous poster on the minor quibbles, but it's from a video camera mic so it's not the most pristine way of recording anyway, and I could never dream of sounding that good.

• Interesting very fusiony choices on the modes, unbelievable skill on the playing. I agree with the previous poster on the minor quibbles, but it's from a video camera mic so it's not the most pristine way of recording anyway, and I could never dream of sounding that good.

That's actually what I was driving at. I'm still sick after seeing that last video he did. Doesn't seem like he was trying to hard, just one shot, one take, end of story.

Didn't even fire up the Kemper. Woe betide lesser mortals haha ^^

• Oh man. Try pleasing the internets, not an easy task!

About the much lesser use of every technique on the planet... Well, it's a much shorter solo and I kinda play what I feel is appropriate for the tune (harp harmonics doesn't sit too well on a metal tune for instance) so it's always different. And since it's a "metal god" competition I figured I'd throw a lot of notes in there haha.

About the take not being perfect. You're absolutely right! In the case of the Wampler solo I prerecorded the solo (like 2 bars at a time) and then just played along to that for the video. Kinda like satanic milli vanilli. This one I just played live. One thing is, I try to never use the same licks more than once (within reason) so I'm constantly creating new licks for each solo. And a lot of them are REALLY difficult to play (like most of this Toontrack solo. I might post a tab and you can try it for yourself) so I'm never really playing things I'm comfortable with. So, I can either spend 6 months practicing it or I can put something up that's not perfect (or alternatively, record it and then "mime" to the recording). I went with the live thing this time and I did maybe 10 run through's and this was the one with the least hickups in it.

So, about not really trying... This solo is hard as tits. My technique for sure isn't that good so I can play this stuff and be lax about it. Especially since most every lick in there is a new one to me that I only had been playing with for a couple of days. Heck, I'll post a tab on my facebook page after the weekend so y'all can give it a stab if you want to.

Thanks a lot for playing and caring enough about what I do so you post your comments. I very much appreciate it! :)

• In the case of the Wampler solo I prerecorded the solo (like 2 bars at a time) and then just played along to that for the video. Kinda like satanic milli vanilli. This one I just played live. One thing is, I try to never use the same licks more than once (within reason) so I'm constantly creating new licks for each solo. And a lot of them are REALLY difficult to play (like most of this Toontrack solo. I might post a tab and you can try it for yourself) so I'm never really playing things I'm comfortable with. So, I can either spend 6 months practicing it or I can put something up that's not perfect (or alternatively, record it and then "mime" to the recording). I went with the live thing this time and I did maybe 10 run through's and this was the one with the least hickups in it.

An interesting approach, I didn't know something like that was possible in these contests. There sure are a lot of ideas in the video, I guess I was just disappointed the execution wasn't as flawless as the Wampler solo, hence the remark about you "not really trying". ^^

It does look impossible to play from where I'm standing :thumbup: I barely push myself when soloing, probably why I've been stuck in a Phrygian rut for the last five years, haha. :thumbdown: