Posts by texasflood

How does the DXR10 compare to the QSC K12 ?

I have tried a DXR10 an I think it really sounded great, but I found that it was not loud enough once our drummer just got started...
    maybe two DXR10 would have been great.

At another venue I got to try the QSC-K12 and this also sounded great, and this one really had the power to play loud.

I normally play a Fuchs ODS50 through a Fuchs 2x12 cab (Eminence speakers).

TF

Option to select "Space" effect on S/PDIF output - like the "Headphone space" option..

I am mainly using the "space" effect when working with my Kemper using headphones.The "space" effekt is really nice this way.
    But I am not using the headphone connection on the front of my Kemper.
    I have the Kemper connected to my Focusrite 18i6 soundcard using the S/PDIF connector, when working with Reaper on my PC.
    I then have my headphones connected to the Focusrite in order to hear all from Reaper.In order to use the "Space" effect in this configuration,
    I have to switch it on globally (tickmark off in "headphone space" in system menu).

When I then use my Kemper on stage I have to switch it of - the space effect does not have a nice effect when using it amplified (IMO)..
    It would be nice to have an additional option to be able to switch it on for the S/PDIF alone - just like ticking the "Headphone space" option in system menu.

Just an idea..

Otherwise I love my Kemper.

/Carsten

I am mainly using the "space" effect when working with my Kemper using headphones.
    The "space" effekt is really nice this way. But I am not using the headphone connection on the front of my Kemper.
    I have the Kemper connected to my Focusrite 18i6 soundcard using the S/PDIF connector, when working with Reaper on my PC.
    I then have my headphones connected to the Focusrite in order to hear all from Reaper.
    In order to use the "Space" effect in this configuration, I have to switch it on globally (tickmark off in "headphone space" in system menu).
    When I then use my Kemper on stage I have to switch it of - the space effect does not have a nice effect when using it amplified..

It would be nice to have an additional option to be able to switch it on for the S/PDIF alone - just like ticking the "Headphone space" option in system menu.

Just an idea..

Otherwise I love my Kemper.

/Carsten

smello335:
    I am too, interested in seeing other users Kemper MIDI projects using the Arduino, so please post your project.

dragonsf :
    MKB mentioned (earlier in this thread) a command which can be used to "merge" incomming MIDI message with the messages sent from the Arduino looper program.
    Maybe he can describe it in more detail (program example e.g.)

If you are using a FCB1010 with the Uno4Kemper chip, you will need a direct connection on midi send and receive for it to work properly with the Kemper, as the pedal and Kemper send and receive messages from each other. So even if the FCB1010 can merge midi, you couldn't use it as the FCB1010 does not have multiple inputs.

However, there is an easy and elegant solution if you are building an Arduino based pedal. In the Arduino midi library, there is a merge function available, but they call it mirroring. It is super easy to implement in your code as well. I found by adding the following commands:

MIDI.begin(); //initialize on startup, Defaults to midi mirroring, ch1
    while (MIDI.read()) { } //Required in main code to start mirroring

...all data on the Arduino pedal midi input would be merged with its data and sent to the pedal's midi output. You can then place your Arduino pedal between the midi out from the FCB1010/Uno4Kemper and the Kemper midi in, and your pedal data will be merged with the FCB's output data, and both will work properly. I do this with my Arduino based looper pedal, and it works perfectly. However it does require you add a midi input as well as a midi output on your Arduino pedal.

Just a little end comment on this thread..

I managed to connect my Arduino Pro Mini to my Kemper.
    The Arduino had the program running kindly supplied by DaanJM, and it works like a charm :0)
    So all I need now is to install the Arduino Pro Mini inside my Digitech FS3X box.
    Actually I bought two Digitech FS3X - one for the looper project and one for another Arduino project in order to have better control over the overdrive stages on my Fuchs ODS amp.
    Buying the Digitech FS3X not only saved me time building a box - it also comes installed with three switches which I then don't have to buy separately.

Anyway thank you again DaanJM for kindly supplying the program for the Arduino. I really appreciate it.

TF

I have just received my Arduino pro Mini boards along with a FTDI USB to serial converter.
    FYI:
    Be aware of fakes though. The converter I received had a counterfeit chip and does not work with the new FTDI drivers.
    Apparently the new drivers have built in countermeasures for disabling fake FTDI chps.
    It is possible however to revert to a previously FTDI driver, but the FTDI chip have to be "unbricked" before it can work again.

I have ordered another converter instead in order to make use of the newest drivers.

MKB, you're right. The HW part realy takes an effort.
    I think I will buy a Digitech FS3X and mod it for the looper. It has 3 momentary footswitches.
    According to DaanJM's looper project the use of four swatches are :
    Switch 1 : Rec/Play/Dub
    Switch 2 : Stop/Erase
    Switch 3 : Undo
    Switch 4 : Trigger

I think I can omit switch 4 in my version using the Digitech FS3X.

Isn't the FCB1010 capable of merging MIDI signals? Then you could still use it for program changes and use the separate looper pedal for the NRPN messages simultaneously. I think you have to activate this feature in some kind of menu on the FCB1010.

Having replaced the original FCB1010 eeprom with the Uno eeprom, the "midi merge" functionality followed the original eeprom.
    My idea for use at first, is not to use the looper at the same time using the FCB1010. The looper was intended mostly as a "practicing tool".

But if it is possible to connect both of them via midi and have them working, it would be great.
    Though I could re-insert the original eeprom and program the FCB1010 with the same rig control functions as with the Uno eeprom,
    and the activate the "midi merge" function and possibly use the looper.

I think I start off getting the looper working and the see what further options I have.

/Carsten

Hi DaanJM.

Thank you for your reply and your link to the files.
    My first mission is to have the simple looper working using the Arduino Mini Pro. I might even stick to that.
    I already have an FCB1010 with a Kemper4Uno chip to control the rig changes.
    I truly understand that you can only dedicate limited time if I run into problems.

I'll begin with the simple one for starters. but thanks again for the files.

/Carsten

Hey DaanJM.
    I have just ordered a couple of Arduino Pro Mini boards and a FTDI interface (for programming)
    I hope you could help me out if I run into problems..:0)
    BTW is there anyway you would share the schematics and sketches for the combined program controller / looper controller you mentioned earlier.
    I will start off building the simple looper controller, but I could be tempted to go for the combined one as well..

Best regards
    Carsten

Just a somewhat conclusion to this thread as I managed to try out a DXR10 side by side with my KPA Blueamps FR-A cab last night in the studio.

I hooked the KPA up to the monitor out and the CXR10 connected to the main XLR out.
    This way I could play them individually adjusting the volume for each output within the Output menu, using the same profiles.

The DXR10 sounded pretty good. It wasn't nearly as boomy as the KPA is.
    I was actually pretty surprised how loud this little thing actually can play.
    The KPA was (as previously mentioned) more bommy, but somehow I think it has more power - it also have 2x12" speakers opposed to the DXR single 10" speaker.
    I don't think a single DXR10 would be sufficient for my use - but maybe a pair could do it.

I must investigate further in order to find out how to tweak my Kemper to get the sound right for the KPA, because it is a great cab.
    Maybe I should buy a pro-made profile which a lot in this forum is using to have the best starting point.
    So please if someone could recommend some profiles from the bluesy category, please let me know.

Conclusion must be that the DXR10 is highly recommendable for use with the Kemper.
    Whether I am gonna get me a pair of DXR10s will depend on how I can make the KPA sound.

Best regards and thank you all for your replies to this thread.
    TF

How is the DXR-10 used with the Kemper.- as a guitar cab substitue or only as a monitor unit ?

I bought the Blueamps cab mainly as a FR-A substitute for a guitar cabinet.
    This cab have 2x10" speaker and a horn.

Is the DXR-10 sufficient as a substitue for a guitar cabinet alone or is it mainly used as a monitor along with the mains output wired to FOH mixer.?
    I mostly play small to medium clubs and not gigs with a mixer. I am in doubt if I should try out a DXR-10 or a DXR-12.

gtrgriff3, thank for your reply.

Regarding the master volume, I actually was in this menu in order to make sure that the output level for the mains output and
    the monitor output both was at the same level in order to compare to see that the output from the monitor output (unbalanced)
    was higher than the mains output (balanced) as Guitarrenschlumpf told. And it was as I wrote earlier.
    Therefor I am pretty sure I actually had the output parameter "open" in order to check for the output level.

Regarding profiling the Fuchs amp, I have tried this although not using a DI-box (which I don't have) which I think is needed to separate the cabinet from the amp.
    I have only done profiling my Fuchs once (using a shitty mic) and the result was also colored by this.I will try again once I get hold of a better mic.

Just out of curiosity, if I profiled the Fuchs using a DI-box, wouldn't the output section from the Fuchs be within that profile ?
    So routing it through the power section of the Fuchs I would think would be like running a profile with a power section character, again through a tubed power output section.

I think I will (as many of you suggest) adjust the EQ in order to filter out the boomy character.
    Or maybe I could do a factory reset of the Kemper, just in order to rule out any parameters set "wrong".

I know the 212 FR-A is full range. It is capable of delivering a full range frequency coverage, in order to be able to represent the many different profiles from the Kemper.
    I am still puzzled why almost all of my profiles have this boomy character. Had it been just a few of them I would just adjusted the low-end, but having many profiles with this issue, this raise my suspicion of something may have been setup wrong generally in the Kemper parameters. I guess I have something to do over the Christmas..