Posts by abt

Do you have the DAW output set to stereo? My Spdif channels are 9&10 so I send a stereo out on those. I can also send a mono out on 9 which would go to the left spdif input. Your Kemper in’s and outs look right so I think you should check your DAW

I think the DAW setup is correct. My interface has its own software that you can see pretty much everything it sees on meters. The SPDIF out show correctly on the meters, the input only show the left side coming back on both sides. I think I will contact their support and see what they say.

You can configure your daw to use a stereo or two mono outputs to the SPDIF input on the Kemper. If you only send a mono signal it will go to one SPDIF input. Monitor out is an output designed for an amp and speaker. Each Kemper output can be assigned separately in the output section.

Thanks. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If I look at the meters going in and out of the DAW to SPDIF, going out the left and right are correct, coming back in only the left side is there and it is now on both sides.

Kemper

Input = SPDIF input reamp

Output = Master stereo

SPDIF Output = Master stereo

This only seems to see the left side.

I haven't used my Kemper amp for a long time. I thought that I used it in the past with external stereo FXs connected to the direct out and monitor out and going back into the return and alt inputs. Now I can't get it to work. After a lot of fiddling it seems that the SPDIF input is the problem as it is only the left side coming from the DAW. Is this correct? Is there another way that I'm missing?

I think now that it probably wasn't working in the way that I thought, I was probably hearing mono in stereo out as opposed to stereo in stereo out.

Too expensive for me. There was a thread before, I can't find it (sorry, maybe it was on another site) where it was rumoured to be about 200-250 Euro and most seem to think that was expensive.
    I wish they would add bank up/down as an option for the TSR pedals. I use the rig up/down all the time. With the performance mode being so easy to copy and paste rigs I don't even bother to turn stomps on an off any more, I just copy the rig to the next slot and turn on/off whatever I need.

why would you use a boost and an attenuation at the same time? this is really bad gain staging.

bring down the interface gain to 0 (the Profile has a healthy Output, no need to boost it on the interface - check your Master Volume and SPDIF Volume setting on the Profiler)
    and disable the pad.

compensate the drop in volume (if there still is one with Master Volume @ 10 and SPDIF Volume @ 0.0dB - the 'normal' values) with your monitoring volume on your interface,
    or whatever controls the volume of your monitors.

If I was using discrete devices for each stage then this would be correct but modern interface preamps don't work like that. I use an HD Omni interface, without the pad in the lowest input value is +10db which really does put me into clipping.

Thanks for the responses. I have two goals here, I want to pull back on the input level to my interface but have it sound the same. I also want to confirm that the Distortion sense is probably what I'm looking for because, although I've not played with it too much in the past I've just started to play with it and have notice it can make a preset that sounds okay even a bit bland sound really great yet still keeps its character.

Distortion sense increases gain for the distorted settings. Clean sense increases it for clean settings.
    On paper, this isn't what you're hearing.

However, if you try a relatively uncompressed profile with gain around 5 or so and raise 'clean sense' way up you'll see that the sound 'swells' when it decays - when it starts getting cleaner after the initial attack, 'clean sense' becomes more important.
    Could be that the gap between 'clean sense' and 'distorted sense', in your case, is causing the sound to do the opposite of swelling when it decays, which could make it seem punchier.

I would, however, make sure you aren't just reacting to a change in volume (dropping the interface's levels).

Interestingly the preset I'm working with the gain is at 5 so the clean sense doesn't really do much. I see what you're saying about the volume jumps, I'm aware that the louder signal will sound better and trying to compensate for the change when comparing.

When you dialed your interface level down by -4db try to level up your monitoring environment by 4 dB and tell me if it's still different.

I see what you're getting at but it's not that, because I'm feeding back from the SPDIF the output levels don't really change because I'm not changing the output levels on the Kemper. So, to directly answer you question, they don't sound the same.

I've just discovered that the reamp sense does what I think I'm after. I think this answers my question (taken from here: http://www.wikpa.org/Recording#Reamping_with_S.2FPDIF)

"Leveling

Proper gain staging is key in reamping. The Kemper manual suggests
    adjusting your DAW send level of the DI tracks to get near the same
    signal level for cleans as if you plugged into the front input. If you
    recorded the DI via SPDIF and are reamping via SPDIF, you should not
    need to worry about any such adjustments, so long as you never adjusted
    the signal level in your DAW prior to reamping. If you recorded the DI
    going straight to your interface, then you may need to make this
    adjustment.

As far as getting the same distortion levels, this is where the
    special Reamp Sense parameter comes in handy. Simply adjust this until
    the reamped tone has the appropriate level of distortion. "

Well, one thing I will add is that I've always loved my Kemper but theses recent developments although subtle have really taken things to another level. I'm also really happy with my sounds, I'm just a little confused.

Okay, so I went there. I know, I know, there's already a million threads on this, but I'm a trying my best. Give me some flame if it makes you feel better.

I was playing around with some sounds and started to really get some of the best sound of my life. My interface input level was set to +27db with the -20db pad in so it brings it down to +7 (these number are not relevant to the story). My concern was I was occasionally hitting the red on the interface and spdif into the kemper was also showing red on the input led, not permanently, just peaks. Neither was clipping but I know my interface and if it's showing red then I'm getting dangerously close.

The problem was that if I turn the input level down on my interface to give me more head room then it didn't sound the same, it was close but it's just missing something. I then started to adjust the distortion sense the the punch started to come back. I pulled the interface level down by -4db and turned the kemper distortion sense up to +4db. Is this how it's supposed to work? Is cutting 4db from the interface and boost by the same amount on the kemper distortion sense correct or is it just a coincidence that those numbers work.

I'm just going by ear and it sounds pretty close. It would be good to confirm that this is how it works?

I've just got my KPA, so far I love it. I've been sending program changes from Pro Tools to change presets automatically. Lots of fun. I notice that the KPA PC numbers start at 1 not 0 resulting in having to set every value in Pro Tools one value lower. I thought that MIDI values should start at 0 and if you hit 128 then you need another bit.