Cab volume instead of using post amp EQ?

• I see lots of rigs that the creators have used an EQ in the X slot with no frequency changes just overall volume boosted presumably to bring the volume level up to a desired point.

Is there any negative result from using the Cab volume level for this purpose instead?
    I haven't been able to hear a difference when comparing them in the few rigs I tried it in but wondered if there might be some down side to this method. I know changing anything else in he Cab section too far from the original profiling result can give some nasty results.

If there is no negative outcome from using it then a lot of rigs can have their X slot returned to duty....

• The only difference is that the X slot can be swtiched as a booster, the cab volume not. If you have always on you can use the cab one (or just raise the Rig volume)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I commonly use Cab Volume settings in all my rigs, I normalized all the rigs using this parameter, so no problem at all.

I use EQ in slot X only to boost for a solo or something like this.

About the general behaviour I notice that a lot of people use rigs with more global volume than what suggested in the Kemper manual indications, maybe because tipically more volume = better sound :D:D

Anyway I suggest, as I did, to normalize all the rig having the same "RMS" using the Cab Volume in a way that you will not have distorsions with any rig at total level 9 out of 10 just to leave some headroom in case you need it and then tweak the rigs accordingly.

You will notice, respecting this rules, that most of the rigs will have Cab Volume exactly set to "0", Rig Volume set to "0" and effects volume at "0", while in the clean Rigs you will need to increase a little bit the Cab Volume and in the distorted Rigs you will need to decrease a little bit the Cab Volume just to have the same amount of perceived volume.

I'm very happy with teh specifications of the Kemper in terms of Volume settings and with the auto regulation of volume of the profiled amps, another great job Mr. CK on this track :thumbup:

• I see lots of rigs that the creators have used an EQ in the X slot with no frequency changes just overall volume boosted presumably to bring the volume level up to a desired point...

To add to what has been answered before I will say that sometimes I get the impression that there's a little loudness war going on in the rig exchange, similar to commercial radio.
    When I see such a rig with only loudness boost in the X slot the first thing I do is switch it off.

• You will notice, respecting this rules, that most of the rigs will have Cab Volume exactly set to "0", Rig Volume set to "0" and effects volume at "0", while in the clean Rigs you will need to increase a little bit the Cab Volume and in the distorted Rigs you will need to decrease a little bit the Cab Volume just to have the same amount of perceived volume.

Let me chime in here and mention that to create the correct global balance between clean rigs and distorted rigs you should use the parameter "Clean Sense".
    There is many myths existing about this parameter, but the only reason to use it is this!