Noise issue in rehearsal space

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Player

Hi all,

I've done a bit of a search and while there's been some similar issues my question is quote specific.

Basically I'm getting what sounds like an interference noise on lots of profiles at our rehearsal space but not at home. I play all sorts of music and while it's definitely more prominent in higher gain profiles even some very clean profiles do it to but not all.

I don't have a clip but its similar to the following:

jvmes13
    September 11, 2023 at 11:33 PM

You can hear it while playing so simply turning up the various noise gate thresholds doesn't really help. It doesn't do this at home at all. At home I'm plugging into a Yamaha DHR12 speaker. At the rehearsal space I'm plugging direct into the PA. I've tried various input signal strength and relative gain trim on the PA input to experiment and see if a higher signal strength makes a difference but it does not. All the same cables are used in both locations with the exception of the cables for the mounted PA speakers.

I tried using both my Cioks dc7 + crux and original power supply and it made no difference.

The thing is, profiles that sounded great at home and were still loud were unplayable at the rehearsal space due to this interference noise.

Could it just be dirty power in the room? Is there a way to demonstrate that power is the issue and not something else? I dont mind looking at a power conditioner or something but i would want some solid evidence that this is the issue first.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to go back to the rehearsal space on Wed. I'm tempted to take my DHR12 to replicate the home setup.

• It sounds like a power supply issue to me.... I've had a similar issue in the past at home, and narrowed it down to one light in a different room. Switch that particular light off, everything is fine, switch it back on, the noise returns.

You could try changing the power supply setting in the settings menu (50hz or 60hz) to see if that helps, but if not, I would suggest trying a different rehearsal space.... To be 100% sure, you will need to be able to compare the two spaces at the same/similar volume level. I assume your levels at home would be much quieter, so would hide a lot of things anyway, but I would put money on it being the power supply at that particular rehearsal space.

• Thanks for your reply. I' definitely not quiet at home but probably not the same volume as rehearsal. We're certainly not talking bedroom volumes though so if the noise was there before I would've heard it. When I go back on Wednesda I will take some different cables, powerboards and maybe my Yamaha speaker too as if I can't figure it out that will prove whether its power or not if I really crank that up in rehearsal.

• I would take your DHR12 to the rehearsal room and set up exactly as you would at home. This will confirm whether the issue is the room (power, light dimmers or AC etc could all have an impact) or the PA. If the noise is still there with you DHR12 then you can rule out any of the rehearsal room equipment (PA) and start trouble shooting the room. However, if it isn’t there with the DHR12 then it isn’t the room so you can start trouble shooting the equipment. It might be something as simple as a ground loop. On the bigger units you would simply press the ground button on the appropriate output(s) but I’m not sure how you would go about that on the player; maybe an isolation transformer little the little Palmer device I bought for my old 4CM analogue rig.