Why does Kemper sounds better than Axe FX?

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

Hey,

I've gone back and forth between Kemper and Axe FX and when playing though any amplification (not headphones) the Kemper just sounds more like analog gear to me - sounds better - sounds closer to speaker, no blanket over the amp. Anybody able to explain WHY? Is there an EQ setting or compression or something that would balance out the difference?

I notice it most drastically when playing through a Kemper Powered Kabinet, but in other FRFR and speaker scenarios.

• Kemper is a Profiler. Fractal is a modeler.

What is it about the profile that sounds better - seems to have MORE TONE - than a model. I understand the "its a snapshot" vs "you can tweak every modeled component" difference, but why does one seem to have more raw tone. I think the profiles I've tested have mostly all had more raw tone, but the Kemper seems to maybe even have more AITR feel than a quad cortex. Tonex is a real competitor to the Kemper sound, but without an all-in-one unit that includes effects its no good for me. But why does the profile generally sound better in the first place?

• Well, I'm no expert on this subject, but basically a Profile is the original amp in recorded solid state form. Fractal uses software in solid state to try and recreate an amp. The two approaches are vastly different. But once A.I. is introduced in the future, you might not be able to tell the difference of either approach.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The sounds are *in* the Fractal. Zero doubt in my mind.

It’s just much harder to get exactly what you want. It’s a teeaker’s dream. It allows for way more customization….but that takes time to both understand and pull out of the unit.

It’s just much harder to get exactly what you want. It’s a teeaker’s dream. It allows for way more customization….but that takes time to both understand and pull out of the unit.

I think that's a very good summary.

There is absolutely no doubt that all of the main modelling/profiling platforms are now capable of producing world class pro level sounds. The differences are in workflow and personal preferences. For example I tried NDSP plugins (presumable same with Quad Cortex) which many people say sound closer to real amps than Kemper and are "totally game changing". I hated them. Way to sterile and bright for my taste. However, if I was a metal player looking for tight high gain djent tones I would probably prefer the NDSP. Horses for courses. Not that one is better or worse just that they are different.

Yeah, but all of the Kemper sounds have something that I've yet to find on any fractal setting. Do you happen to know what it is that makes the Kemper sound so alive running through the Powered Kabinet? Does it automatically have resonant frequencies dialed in or certain frequencies boosted that need adjusted in the fractal? That's what I'm looking for - anybody able to point to the setting I need to turn up / change to make the Axe FX step forward in the Kabinet?

• I have both. The Kemper on the higher gain profiles just seem to have this "kerrang" and "percussiveness" that is more easily achieved. I find that with the Kemper I have both great low volume patches that translate very nicely to say stage volume patches that hold up very well. I am playing out of 2 Atomic CLR units. With the Fractal I can get great low volume high gain patches but I have difficulty getting these to sound good at high volumes.

Like others have said the Kemper is a profile of a rig whereas the Fractal is a modeler. Both are great tools in that one can make each sound great and in the wrong hands, one can make both sound like crud. Again both are tools.

I think the Kemper being a profiler, it is more realistic to the real amp in the room tone and the Fractal is more of a polished hi-fi or recorded and mastered tone come out. Little bit different but both can produce great results.