Rig Manager connection issue

• When I open the Rig Manager on my computer I encounter a series of issues:

Either the app doesn't successfully open and is not operational, and I get the following message:

Or it opens but sound is choppy and breaks up continuously. Sometimes it also doesn't open and I get the choppy sound either way.

I also just got this message that I've never gotten before.

Indeed I use a hub for the USB connection. You can't do otherwise these days with a Macbook.
    forum.kemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/19782/

Any reason for this and how I can do to get my Rig Manager to work every time?
    Cheers

• Same here,
    if i close the Macbook (Macbook goes sleep) and reopen it, the connection get lost.
    the only way to reestablish the connection is to unplug the cable wait 10 sec and plug it in again.
    Or reboot the Mac.
    I reported this on July 7th, but no fix until today.

You can see this also in the Rigmanager DebugLog:
    ~/Documents/Kemper Amps/RigManager/DebugLog.txt

Code
    3|Driver threw exception e000404f in USBxMIDIDevice::Open() function  line 1047 file ../dxd-kemper-fixed/dxd/interface/dx_stream_usb_device.h
    0|Could not open KPA device

More Info at

Yoda Guitar
    November 22, 2023 at 5:49 PM

Be the force with you ;)

Edited once, last by Yoda Guitar: added information (September 15, 2024 at 9:08 AM).

• Confusingly, I've just opened the Rig Manager on my Macbook just now and all went smoothly. No sound cut-outs whatsoever.
    So it's a lottery as far as I know. Right now I've been lucky and will be able to use the Rig Manager. Until next time I have issues again.

• There are sometimes connection issues if the computer has gone to sleep. However, I just turn off the Kemper and shut rig manager. It pretty much always works fine when I restart them.

I have never experienced the choppy sound though. I always connect with XLR via my MOTU interface. No audio passes through Rig Manager so that can't be the cause. I presume you are using the USB audio interface in the Kemper itself? If that is the case then it is a USB issue between the Kemper and Mac. Rebooting one or both should solve it.

• Does this setting not work on a MAC?

To keep USB devices active on a MacBook when it's in sleep mode, you can disable power management for USB devices:

1. Click Change advanced power settings
    2. Click the plus sign (+) next to USB settings and USB selective suspend setting
    3. Set both the On battery and Plugged in settings to Disabled
    4. Click OK to apply changes

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Does this setting not work on a MAC?

To keep USB devices active on a MacBook when it's in sleep mode, you can disable power management for USB devices:

1. Click Change advanced power settings
    2. Click the plus sign (+) next to USB settings and USB selective suspend setting
    3. Set both the On battery and Plugged in settings to Disabled
    4. Click OK to apply changes

This doesn't help because the KPA USB is powered itself.
    This is just to prevent the notebook from powering external devices and draining the battery.
    It's purely a software issue, other devices work too, e.g. my recording interface.
    It seems to me that Rigmanager is not registering the sleep/wakeup event.
    When the system goes to sleep, every registered program receives a sleep event to close open files and/or devices.
    After wakeup, you have to reopen the files and devices because the old device handle is no longer valid.

From the Apple Developer Forum:

You can open a kernel port and register for sleep/wakeup events. In this case, your app will receive an event when the system wants to go to sleep. You have several options. One is to respond that the system can continue. Another is to interrupt the sleep; However, Apple says that certain events can be paused for a maximum of 30 seconds, after which the system will just carry on whether your app likes it or not. And finally, you can cancel it; although not all events can be canceled. If the system has already decided to go to sleep, you can only pause it for a maximum of 30 seconds or allow it immediately, you cannot cancel it. However, you can also wait for an event where the system asks apps if it's OK to go to sleep now, and there you can answer "no", which will cancel the sleep.

More information about sleep and wakeup here

Technical Q&A QA1340: Registering and unregistering for sleep and wake notifications

Be the force with you ;)

Edited 2 times, last by Yoda Guitar (September 19, 2024 at 8:48 AM).

• This doesn't help because the KPA USB is powered itself.
    This is just to prevent the notebook from powering external devices and draining the battery.
    It's purely a software issue, other devices work too, e.g. my recording interface.
    It seems to me that Rigmanager is not registering the sleep/wakeup event.
    When the system goes to sleep, every registered program receives a sleep event to close open and/or devices.
    After wakeup, you have to reopen the files and devices because the old device handle is no longer valid.

From the Apple Developer Forum:

You can open a kernel port and register for sleep/wakeup events. In this case, your app will receive an event when the system wants to go to sleep. You have several options. One is to respond that the system can continue. Another is to interrupt the sleep; However, Apple says that certain events can be paused for a maximum of 30 seconds, after which the system will just carry on whether your app likes it or not. And finally, you can cancel it; although not all events can be canceled. If the system has already decided to go to sleep, you can only pause it for a maximum of 30 seconds or allow it immediately, you cannot cancel it. However, you can also wait for an event where the system asks apps if it's OK to go to sleep now, and there you can answer "no", which will cancel the sleep.

More information about sleep and wakeup here

https://developer.apple.com/library/archiv…340/_index.html

Yes, I’m having the same issue with my MOTU Ultralite MK5 too. It’s not just a Kemper issue.