No Discernible Reason - an 80's style tune

• I was in an 80's frame of mind when I wrote this and I think the influences can be clearly heard.

Guitar: James Tyler Studio Elite
    Bass: Sire Marcus Miller V7

Hope you'll enjoy it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Damn! Great job Mats_Nermark , I hear some Gary Moore and maybe a little Gambale and Satriani? I really like that subtle muted rhythm guitar arpeggio which is absolutely on point for the era. Of course you nailed the production sounds and feel as usual.

Now, some homework, cos I think you don't take your incredible talent seriously enough. I know you can nail that Larry Carlton all day while I'm still trying to get the simplest of Eric Gale blues licks down, but I want to hear you take your jazz style licks to the next level and incorporate some Joe Pass, Les Paul and Django Reinhardt! If I'm right you should come out somewhere between Kenny Burrell, John Scofield and Steve Lukather, which would be (somehow) even more spectacular than where you're at now.

• Greatly arranged & played Mats , lead work is indeed impressive with these long developments over there really cool chord changes & evolving harmony ( especially the diminished chords , right on) . Break @3:30 comes at the right time on this long track , well done !

Bass work and mix fits super well.

• Damn! Great job Mats_Nermark , I hear some Gary Moore and maybe a little Gambale and Satriani? I really like that subtle muted rhythm guitar arpeggio which is absolutely on point for the era. Of course you nailed the production sounds and feel as usual.

Now, some homework, cos I think you don't take your incredible talent seriously enough. I know you can nail that Larry Carlton all day while I'm still trying to get the simplest of Eric Gale blues licks down, but I want to hear you take your jazz style licks to the next level and incorporate some Joe Pass, Les Paul and Django Reinhardt! If I'm right you should come out somewhere between Kenny Burrell, John Scofield and Steve Lukather, which would be (somehow) even more spectacular than where you're at now.

Thanks, Per, but I think you are way too kind.
    Regarding getting into Joe Pass, Les Paul and Django Reinhardt, I really would like to do that and to a certain extent I have tried just that but I can't seem to find the right way to get there. Then there's the time factor. I already have so much fun writing tunes so most of the time I don't want to spend time on "hard" stuff. At my age I'm just happy with having fun and enjoying what I do.

With that said, I would really appreciate some tips on how to do it. Links, music examples, videos, etc.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mats N

• Greatly arranged & played Mats , lead work is indeed impressive with these long developments over there really cool chord changes & evolving harmony ( especially the diminished chords , right on) . Break @3:30 comes at the right time on this long track , well done !

Bass work and mix fits super well.

Thanks, Renaud!

You comments are always appreciated.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Thanks, Per, but I think you are way too kind.
    Regarding getting into Joe Pass, Les Paul and Django Reinhardt, I really would like to do that and to a certain extent I have tried just that but I can't seem to find the right way to get there. Then there's the time factor. I already have so much fun writing tunes so most of the time I don't want to spend time on "hard" stuff. At my age I'm just happy with having fun and enjoying what I do.

With that said, I would really appreciate some tips on how to do it. Links, music examples, videos, etc.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mats N

I wish! You think I'd play as badly as I do if I knew where to learn how to play like those monsters?!?! :D

I seem to recall Guthrie might have done a few tutorials on Django's style back in his Guitar Techniques days in the 90's, but I don't have any of those ones hanging around. Honestly I assumed you'd be in a much better position than me to pick this stuff up, then I can crib off you :P

• I wish! You think I'd play as badly as I do if I knew where to learn how to play like those monsters?!?! :D

I seem to recall Guthrie might have done a few tutorials on Django's style back in his Guitar Techniques days in the 90's, but I don't have any of those ones hanging around. Honestly I assumed you'd be in a much better position than me to pick this stuff up, then I can crib off you :P

I hear you! :D

Cheers,

Mats N