Can you use a Kemper stage as pedalboard for a real amp?

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Stage

Hi rigbusters,

Recently I got my hands on a '74 Fender Quad Reverb. It sounds awesome. Now, this amp does not have any other input than a guitar input. Now, I was wondering, since I have a Kemper Stage (with a Mission expression pedal), would it be possible to use the Kemper as a pedalboard with this amp? There is a send output on the Kemper, I have no idea how this send and return works. Could you for example taka a profile, disable the amp an cab, and direct the output to the 'send' channel? And will this be the correct level to feed into the guitar input of a real amp?

• Go to Best Answer
  • Thank you!

Just to verify, currently:

The main out of the Kemper Stage is connected to the line in on my Motu Ultralite (backpanel, which I believe is line in).
    The gain for the line in in the Motu is 0dB.
    The main output on the Kemper is set to master mono, -12dB padding is not enabled, the volume is set to 0dB.

I'm assuming the Fender Quad Reverb's guitar input expects an instrument level signal and line level may be too 'hot'.
    Should I change any settings on the Kemper's main out to get it to output 'instrument level'?

To my understanding, there are three types of 'output levels' besides the speaker out: mic level, instrument level and line level, and they are in order of weak (mic) to strong (line). I have a limited understanding of audio signals so please forgive me if I'm not making sense. It can be quite difficult to get this information from the manuals, as they seem to assume that the reader already knows what type of output level comes out of a device so often it's not mentioned at all. When googling about reducing line output to instrument level, I see posts about DI boxes, reamping and Signal to Noise so it quickly gets confusing for a noob like me :)

• New
    • Best Answer
    • Official Post

I'm assuming the Fender Quad Reverb's guitar input expects an instrument level signal and line level may be too 'hot'.

it does, but just watch your levels, start with a low volume on the amp and a low volume on the PROFILER and carefully and slowly increase to what you are looking for. worst case scenario is that you'll overdrive the input stage of the amp, which is what Booster pedals do.

tbh. this combination isn't really of much practical value - it might be fun to mess around with the PROFILER's stomps and effects through the amp, but that's it really.

to me, the fun of an old tube amp is to connect the guitar directly, no pedals and see what you can do. It should have a lovely reverb and tremolo, which Fenders calls 'Vibrato' for some reason. Playing such a bare bones setup can make you a better player since there is very little to hide behind (you can't crank the gain, add compression, chorus, delay and reverb). except the reverb part of course, but that is 'only' a spring reverb and will always sound like one no matter what ;)

have fun

• Thanks Don,

You are right about the amp sounding great without any pedals. However, even with the pre volume at max, there is no distortion at all. It will give a bit of distortion if I also turn the master volume up to eight, but that sound level is frowned upon in my village 😉 Also, running to the store and purchasing a bunch of pedals (I only have 1 pedal, a freqout), is frowned upon by my wife. So now at least I can play with all kinds of effects and hide my playing mistakes, and stay friendly with the wife and villagers. And last but not least, I also wanted to experiment what sound I would get if I use a Marshall amp on the Kemper and play it through the Quad Reverb. So lots of stuff to play and experiment with. With the new knowledge I can start experimenting, thanks again for your input!

• Villages and wives are so misguided sometimes.

I agree with Don. Using the KPA as an FX board for a valve amp is a bit of a waste of both. Just profile the Fender and keep it all ‘in the box” or just go old school and “to hell with the consequences 🤣 🤘🤘🤘

I think the quad reverb is all tubes, so who knows, maybe some good will come from this experiment. Nirvana in utero was recorded on a quad reverb I believe… if not…. To hell with the consequences!!! 😂😂😂

• I think the quad reverb is all tubes, so who knows, maybe some good will come from this experiment. Nirvana in utero was recorded on a quad reverb I believe… if not…. To hell with the consequences!!! 😂😂😂

I think it was a Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp not a Quad Reverb. But I could be wrong. I have a Mesa Studio .22 which is basically a combo version of half a Quad preamp.

• New
    • Official Post

I think the quad reverb is all tubes, so who knows, maybe some good will come from this experiment. Nirvana in utero was recorded on a quad reverb I believe… if not…. To hell with the consequences!!! 😂😂😂

I'm sure the Kemper Drive and Kemper Fuzz will be lots of fun in front of the Quad :)

Try the differences between using gain from a STOMP pedal and using the pedal's volume to push the front end of the amp harder, resulting in preamp distortion, and a mixture of both.
    also check out a pretty dirty sound and roll back the volume of your guitar for another tonal shade

the Pure Boost will give you a completely clean volume boost, making the distortion more a matter of the amp, the Lead Booster will do the same but shape the signal to push the mids in settings around noon.

• Pier75 July 11, 2024 at 1:06 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.