Dance the Night Ablaze

• I've been wanting to try and merge some EDM and Disco influences into a rock song so I came up with this as a start. I'm also trying to learn how to master my tracks. I still feel like the lower end needs more separation. I worked more this time on snare and hi-hat to lower the high end tinkyness. Not there yet but close.

I used two wet/dry guitar tracks with the lead track being more centered in the mix.

Let me know what to work on.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Your style is very recognizable , apart the claps I don't hear that much EDM & disco TBH , it's more of a rock track to me , even with a bit of Rush vibe to it.

If you want to go disco , I'd suggest a strong disco beat first , with an uptempo BPM 4 beats on the floor, and build riffs & funk licks around this start. A funky groovy bassline is also mandatory of course, I would start from here , drum & bass , the gits should be the icing on the cake and not in front.

here is a quick ref , drum & bass from 0:30 ( with a single bass note lol )

• Your style is very recognizable , apart the claps I don't hear that much EDM & disco TBH , it's more of a rock track to me , even with a bit of Rush vibe to it.

If you want to go disco , I'd suggest a strong disco beat first , with an uptempo BPM 4 beats on the floor, and build riffs & funk licks around this start. A funky groovy bassline is also mandatory of course, I would start from here , drum & bass , the gits should be the icing on the cake and not in front.

here is a quick ref , drum & bass from 0:30 ( with a single bass note lol )

Thanks Renaud! I'm working my way slowly into the EDM incorporations like when you want to ask the pretty girl for a date and don't want to come off as an abrupt fool. :) .

I'd take RUSH comps any day!

• Well done, I agree with waraba, I don't really hear the EDM.

The key to EDM is that repetitive beat and loop. You can have natural sounding drums but the core to the whole EDM experience is that it's built around synths, samplers and sequencing.

If you want to explore this area then a good starting point is to go back to the roots, grab an 808 style drum patch with just a very basic four to the floor beat (or kick then snare/clap for trance) with 16ths on your hi-hat or equivalent. Then build up your sounds around this, whether it's a banging synth lead over a blip baseline, or washes of synth pads. Finally bring your guitar in but treat it as an arrangement challenge. Sometimes a repeated loop is key, sometimes a few sparse notes. Interfacing synthetic and real sounds is one of the tougher things to accomplish.

The best thing to do is listen to the tracks that inspire you as you create. See what decisions they've made and simply try doing them yourself.

• Well done, I agree with waraba, I don't really hear the EDM.

Thanks Per! As I said I was merging some influences but not go heavy EDM, at least not yet, but I will try that sometime in the future. I still wanted the tune to have a rock format.

In this tune, I feel like I could separate the 50Hz - 1KHz better. I will work on that on the next track. I also will try more layering as you had suggested before.