USB MIDI

• I'm trying to use the arduino to send MIDI CCs via USB, it's a DIY controller i made that i was using via MIDI cable, i'll have to do some research and see if i'm capable of making it work just via usb, that way i can use only one cable for the controller instead of USB + MIDI cables.

Thanks for the info!

Let us know how you get on.

Be great if the Kemper recognised an Arduino as a midi device (a bit like a PC/Mac can) without the need to reflash the arduino-firmware

• I'm not fully sure what you mean hahah

I'm using an Arduino Uno copy, "AZDelivery ATmega328P" and i turned it into a foot controller via MIDI by following some tutorials and so, but as i said i'm kind of a noob in this kind of things.

This is more or less my controller, i did some changes after, more buttons and so.

I'll have to do some research and see if my board is capable of doing that kind of stuff.

Thanks anyway for the info!

• The nature of an Arduino board/project is writing code for the board, so reflashing an Arduino board is almost a trivial task when working with such boards.

Agree. But like many things, if you've never done it before it can appear daunting. It's installing and using lesser-known flashing-software to do the operation that raises my concerns. Certainly, coding midi operations becomes more comfortable with experience.

• I've built and programmed a number of Arduino-based MIDI devices - my favorite platform is the Teensy. You can program it using the Arduino toolchain; it is relatively cheap and available in a number of variants, depending on your need to connect switches, knobs etc, and it can be set to act as a standard PC keyboard or as a MIDI device (among other options), so it's ideal to create all kinds of little helpers for the studio or live, e.g. to convert a simple Digitech / TC electronics 3-button footswitch to a MIDI or keyboard device.

Haven't built or tested anything specifically for the Kemper, but connecting these thingys to Windows PCs or Android tablets works a charm - they act as class-compliant MIDI devices.

And the flashing is just the normal procedure of loading your code to the device from the Arduino toolset - no "lesser-known flashing-software" required.

• Just bought an Arduino Leonardo, delivered tomorrow apparently, so i'll try to make it work by replacing the Uno i'm using currently and using the USBMIDI library, i'll have to do some changes in the code, i'll let you know if i manage to make it work

• Just bought an Arduino Leonardo, delivered tomorrow apparently, so i'll try to make it work by replacing the Uno i'm using currently and using the USBMIDI library, i'll have to do some changes in the code, i'll let you know if i manage to make it work

cool. keep us posted. thanks Erikcb

Here's my most recent Arduino midi controller though it relied on a USB to midi interface/cable rather than directly USB-to-USB

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• cool. keep us posted. thanks Erikcb

Here's my most recent Arduino midi controller though it relied on a USB to midi interface/cable rather than directly USB-to-USB

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

No worries, i'll do.

Just wondering, that screen is pretty interesting, any idea if it would be doable via USB?
    I'm not sure if the kemper will send info (and if it's gotta be MIDI or what)

• You can request Rig Info via nrpn midi commands.

Have a look into my script. ☺️

gstrotmann
    May 5, 2024 at 7:03 PM

Kemper Profiler Player with Power Cabinet

• Just wondering, that screen is pretty interesting, any idea if it would be doable via USB?
    I'm not sure if the kemper will send info (and if it's gotta be MIDI or what)

with a bit of tinkering, you can retrieve data and parameters from the Kemper- another project:

• You can request Rig Info via nrpn midi commands.

Have a look into my script. ☺️

gstrotmann
    May 5, 2024 at 7:03 PM

I see, looks pretty interesting, i gotta see if i'm capable of doing it with the arduino, i'm not using python just arduino IDE, which is C++ i think, do you think it will be doable that way?
    Never used nrpn, only CCs, i didn't manage to make nrpn commands work for me, not sure why (probably cause i don't have programming knowledge hahahah).

• with a bit of tinkering, you can retrieve data and parameters from the Kemper- another project:

Good to see it, pretty interesting, I'll do some tests tomorrow once i get the board, thanks!

• Just got the board and a cheap 16x2 screen, i'm doing some testing.

So far i can't even make the screen work within the controller (not even using a simple "hello world" print code) it lights but there are no letters, just black squares.

The weird thing is that when i tried it without the rest of the cables it worked, and if i try it with the old arduino uno board it also works, i'm trying to figure out what could be the problem, but i have no idea so far...

I didn't even start with nprn or anything yet.

• black squares: maybe a contrast issue? is there a potmeter you can twist? or is it done with some PWM?

That's what i thougth at first, apparently the contrast is automatic, also, it should be ok, since it works if i try it on the other arduino i have (it also worked in the one i'm using right now before connecting it to the controller).

EDIT: i think i found the problem, for some reason the pins sending the info to the screen are digital pins 2 and 3, and those are used by the controller, any idea if i can change the pins the screen uses?

i didn't set them up, it seems to be like that by default?

Edited once, last by Erikcb (May 11, 2024 at 8:32 PM).