XLR Stereo Out to Mono In?

• Hi all, I am currenly running my unpowered Kemper head into studio monitors using the main TRS outputs in stereo which works just fine, but I have the opportunity to pick up a Friedman ASC12 second hand for dirt cheap, but I've noticed it only has a single XLR input (being only a single 12" FRFR speaker).

I know I can use both TRS and XLR outputs simultaneously, but unsure how to go hooking up to the Friedman being only mono? As I understand, you can change the main output on the kemper from stereo to mono, but not both simultaneously? The head only has a single monitor TRS output, not stereo monitor outs like the stage, so I can't run my monitors from the monitor out in stereo? Or can I get a stereo TRS to dual TRS cable or something for my monitors from the single monitor out? Is the single monitor out stereo or mono?

The other possibility is that you can buy a Y cable from dual XLR to single XLR, and run it from the main output XLR to the Friedman input like that, but would this work properly? Or would I run into phase issues and/or clipping etc if the input signal going into the FRFR power amp being too hot?

I'd like to have both the Friedman and monitors plugged into the Kemper at all times and just switch the output depending on which I want to use.

Thanks in advance, this is all pretty new to me. I did search but couldn't find anything g specific to this issue. Cheers.

• Set Monitor Out to Master Mono in the output menu. Go from the 1/4" Monitor Out on the Kemper to the XLR input of the Friedman ASC-12 with a cable like this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P…-pxm110-10-foot

Does that mean i can have the main output as stereo still while having the monitor ouput as mono? I didnt realise i could do that.

Does it work vice versa? The main output xlr as mono and the monitor out as stereo, using a cable like this? Thanks for your help.

Hosa STP203 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Insert Cable (3m)
    Hosa STP203 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" TS (3m) - Connect a channel insert on a mixing console to an effects processor with unbalanced phone jacks.
    djcity.com.au
  • You can also have cab emulation on the main outs and not on the monitor if you’re using a traditional guitar cab, or not if like me you use a flat response speaker.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Yes, you can have the main out as Stereo and the Monitor Out as Mono its in the output settings menu. No need for adaptors or special cables.

That cable you listed would take two mono outputs and feed a single stereo input. It isn’t what you need as the Fiedman is a mono input.

I meant could i use that cable to run stereo out of the monitor output to my monitors and run a mono xlr from the main out to the friedman? Simpler the other way, but just curious if that would also work.

• I meant could i use that cable to run stereo out of the monitor output to my monitors and run a mono xlr from the main out to the friedman? Simpler the other way, but just curious if that would also work.

OK. Yes it would work but why bother? Just use the Main and Monitor Outs as intended without any extra cables or adaptors.

• I understand yes, was just out of curiosity, i have had the kemper for quite a while but have only ever used it with my monitors, just finding out more about how it all works. Thanks.

It’s never a bad idea to book a rehearsal room for an hour and explore the options. Standard issue as stated by Wheresthedug is main to FOH and monitor for yourself. They’re completely independent and you can take FOH off the master volume so you can tweak your own level separately

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10