Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• In deference to Monkey_Man and Steve Albini's shared distaste at compression and effects, I've left this one unmastered. Though the vocals and bass do still have compression just to make it an easier mix but I've tried to keep overall balance similar to a live band sound and haven't attempted to "Beatles-ize" it with to quote "incredibly loud, compressed vocals, and a quiet little murmur of a rock band in the background".

• ... and the mix is all-the-better-for-it IMHO bro'.

Could hear all the elements on the ol' CrapMac™ speaker, so it's a win... as it is every time, from my end.

In deference to Monkey_Man and Steve Albini's shared distaste at compression and effects, I've left this one unmastered.

I've got nothing against compression and effects; just don't like their being overdone is all.

As for mastering, nothing wrong with that either of course.

The problem I have is the way both compression and "mastering" are used as crutches, in order to "bring everything up-to-level" and smashing things to smithereens.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hey Per!

Great rhythm guitars and great vocal harmonies!

And once again I'm hearing a lot of Beatles in here.

Cheers,

Mats N

Decided to go all in on over-processing the snot out of my vocals just to hear what happens with autotune... don't think it's for me unless I want to churn out pop.

• Decided to go all in on over-processing the snot out of my vocals just to hear what happens with autotune... don't think it's for me unless I want to churn out pop.

I will let Paul McCartney and Cher know... ^^

I'm curious how you are doing one lyric set per day? Are you rotating lyrics? I ask because I know a professional lyricist who works with 4 other team members to complete one set per song per week. I can handle one lyric set every two weeks, and I have to be careful not to use previous phrases.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I’m just churning out lyrics more or less as I sing, I don’t spend time caring about them in that way. Sometimes I’ll use a theme, but it’s not a priority, there may be repeated use of some phrases here and there in the tracks but that’s not important or intentional. The goal isn’t to write songs, it’s to sketch. Quality will come from practice not perfectionism.