New Owner from Southern California!

• I got mine on Friday and learning how to use it.. I have an Avid Eleven Rack as well and have owned a Line 6 XT Pro.. I plan to profile my Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and Vintage Modern Combo 2266CB..

I'm running the SPDIF signal into a M-Audio 192. So far I do not like the way it sounds after running through the sound card. It sounds great when listening direct from the Kemper.

I have 3 Gibson Les Pauls. 1 Music Man JP BFR, Jackson RR24M, Strat, Warmoth, SG and a few other guitars..

• I got mine on Friday and learning how to use it.. I have an Avid Eleven Rack as well and have owned a Line 6 XT Pro.. I plan to profile my Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and Vintage Modern Combo 2266CB..

I'm running the SPDIF signal into a M-Audio 192. So far I do not like the way it sounds after running through the sound card. It sounds great when listening direct from the Kemper.

I have 3 Gibson Les Pauls. 1 Music Man JP BFR, Jackson RR24M, Strat, Warmoth, SG and a few other guitars..

I don't like it through my sound card and monitors either, but headphones out to my little amp guitar input sounds like the real amps... I don't know why the monitors really sound soo different as they are supposed to reproduce the sound without adding but that doesn't seem to be the case.. now through the headphones alone it sounds great...

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• I don't know why the monitors really sound soo different as they are supposed to reproduce the sound without adding but that doesn't seem to be the case..

Ha! While FRFR equipment does exist, not everything outside the guitar world is actually FRFR! The proof being that two different sets of monitors may sound waay different! It's the same in Hi-Fi...

As a general rule, no device is supposed to reproduce the sound without adding (or subtracting LOL). Those which come closer to the task are the most expensive ones. And you have to optimize their coupling/interfacing as well: for example, a poweramp will produce in itself a different sound when driving a different cab, let alone the different sound produced by the cab itself. The same stands for coupling a pre (such as the KPA) with a poweramp.
    For most musical applications this can be irrelevant, but in Hi-Fi it's a concrete issue.
    Even in the Hi-Fi world listeners focus on the musicality of the overall signal in a chain tho, since we all know that pure linearity, no phase rotations, no signal loss, 0 distortion etc. can't be achieved in reality.

Back to guitar reproduction, it's not that you can't find a sound you like at a low price: but being really FRFR is a completely different beast, for which you'll have to spend money. You'll get closer the more you focus on intrinsic quality and coupling.

HTH

• Ha! While FRFR equipment does exist, not everything outside the guitar world is actually FRFR! The proof being that two different sets of monitors may sound waay different! It's the same in Hi-Fi...

As a general rule, no device is supposed to reproduce the sound without adding (or subtracting LOL). Those which come closer to the task are the most expensive ones. And you have to optimize their coupling/interfacing as well: for example, a poweramp will produce in itself a different sound when driving a different cab, let alone the different sound produced by the cab itself. The same stands for coupling a pre (such as the KPA) with a poweramp.
    For most musical applications this can be irrelevant, but in Hi-Fi it's a concrete issue.
    Even in the Hi-Fi world listeners focus on the musicality of the overall signal in a chain tho, since we all know that pure linearity, no phase rotations, no signal loss, 0 distortion etc. can't be achieved in reality.

Back to guitar reproduction, it's not that you can't find a sound you like at a low price: but being really FRFR is a completely different beast, for which you'll have to spend money. You'll get closer the more you focus on intrinsic quality and coupling.

HTH

Thanks,,,, can you explain coupling... all I know is the TV series called coupling...

ok so I need better stuff :) maybe another superchamp xd to use for the other monitor, it sounded great out of the headphones jack to the guitar input, no loss of really anything and those are cheap amps... all the tube videos of profiling sessions were amazing sounding form their monitors... so is that the secret, have to have 3000€ or Dollar monitors or 2 cheap amps on my table :) headphones sound absolutely amazing too, really amazing...

thanks for your help

• Thanks,,,, can you explain coupling... all I know is the TV series called coupling...

LOL

in this case, it just means "connecting". Electric audio devices change their behaviour depending on what there's after them.
    This is one of the reasons why an active cab/monitor has got some more chances to sound good (everything being equal of course) than an arbitrary coupling: because the engineers had the opportunity to optimize the electric relationships between the poweramp and the cab.

It might also useful to remember that if you have tweaked your KPA to sound best with certain monitors/cabs, you won't have a realistic representation of how good another cab sounds as long as you don't take the tweaking back at default: if your previous cab was harsh on the middle/high crossover and you tamed those freqs for getting a more pleasant sound, those will definitely be missing when using a cab which doesn't show this behaviour.

• Try running into your soundcard from the analog XLR outputs rather than SPDIF. There is a sound difference. I don't like SPDIF, and it crackles sometimes.

Vintage amp obsessive

• LOL

in this case, it just means "connecting". Electric audio devices change their behaviour depending on what there's after them.
    This is one of the reasons why an active cab/monitor has got some more chances to sound good (everything being equal of course) than an arbitrary coupling: because the engineers had the opportunity to optimize the electric relationships between the poweramp and the cab.

It might also useful to remember that if you have tweaked your KPA to sound best with certain monitors/cabs, you won't have a realistic representation of how good another cab sounds as long as you don't take the tweaking back at default: if your previous cab was harsh on the middle/high crossover and you tamed those freqs for getting a more pleasant sound, those will definitely be missing when using a cab which doesn't show this behaviour.

Danke, it's making more sense now as to why my monitors don't reproduce sounds like I hear on the profiling sessions on Utoob... :)